Beginning to like this S3 lark.

• Thread starter Deleted member 143317
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143317

I have an introduction post in the Welcome section. I have recently purchased a 2002 S3 BAM, happy so far and have a list of things to do.
I have already replaced the two front tyres, they were mismatched and one was a cheapo brand new and the other was a Eagle F1 AS3 with about 3mm left. Under power the haldex was stuggling big time making it twitch. New tyres cured it.

I am entering it in a Sprint event on Sun 15th at Clay Pigeon Raceway, near Yeovil. Anyone in the area are welcome to pop along, its free entry. I'll be entering along with a work mate with his S3 8L (also a BAM) so should be fun.

Here is my to-do list for the car before I find the weaknesses on track:
  1. Install dash cam for Sunday
  2. Get 2nd key cut and programmed
  3. Replace front lower speakers, (Bose Amp is fine)
  4. Fit my existing HU (Kenwood Android Double Din). Will be fun, I am full bose with a current single DIN Chorus. :sadlike:
  5. Wire in reversing camera? (not sure I will, its pretty easy to park)
  6. Sort out flaked paint on Climate Control, either replace or use the stickers I see online

Reactions: Asim1, Sandra, S3AMJ and 1 other person
Welcome Steve, nice to see people are still buying the S3.

I might be interested in that track day on the 15th, depends if I can get round to fitting a couple things I need to fit in time.

Enjoy the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra
Hi mate don't buy them stickers for the climate control. I tried them when I got my car and they looked absolutely terrible when on.

Reactions: Asim1
Welcome mate I agree dont use the stickers terrible option

Under power the haldex was struggling big time making it twitch ... ?

as far as I know, the haldex only engages when there is a speed difference ,
front to back , unless its the up-rated controller

dissimilar same shaft speeds are under the traction control , and that funny [not] £270 lateral acceleration
sensor thing

see if it reverses on full lock, without , winding up , on sticky tarmac ,

As the front and rear diffs are open the cheapy tyre could have spun up loads quicker than the eagle and when the rear kicked in the eagle was gripping and the cheapy wasn’t and caused it to pull to one side etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StickyStuff is right, it was raining and on the front, the cheap tyre tried to spin when the eagle didnt so Haldex tried engaging the rear. The left / right grip imbalance made it twitch left to right not a lot, but enough to reduce confidence.

New tyres on, poring rain, floored it and no such twitch so it was def the mismatch causing it.

I checked the reverse on lock when I viewed it (thanks to guides on here) and no skipping tyres so I am sure my Haldex is good.

Found my haldex , had partly failed, where as rear was not 'engaged' during a full lock reverse , on sticky tarmac , after about 90 deg , the car came to a halt , rather like a spring winding up , forcing it past this , caused the inner wheel to partly rotate ..did'ent show on normal roads , same maneuver etc ..doing the same with the fuse out [ was it 30 or 31 ?] no lock up

I suspect the high pressure control valve , at high mileage , starts to leak/pass and bring the clutch in / dragging , after a test on grass , showed the fronts rotated 90 deg before the rear engaged, fitted , second hand unit , and the howl from the rear diff stopped as well , which showed up at speed on the motorway [ guess the diff was being over-run / loaded ..may be due to front slippage at speed ?]

Quick update on yesterdays sprint.
Came second in class and won a trophy! yay!
Not bad for a virtually stock S3. I'll try and post a video later.

Reactions: danny_dj3, hydro s3 and S3AMJ