A4 2.0 TDI BRD

BensAudi

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been reading and reading through the forum for weeks and cannot find an answer.

I had bought a A4 2.0 TDI BRD a few weeks back and all checked out but a hard start, but ive seen that alot when viewing cars when theyve been sat around for a while so didnt think anything out the blue.

The car has continued to hard start when cold, turning over for anywhere up to 10 seconds before starting, this improves when the car is warm.

The car is also idling slightly higher than i think it should be at around 900-950, the MPG under VERY steady driving is about 35-40, driving normally would be low 30’s. initially i thought it was a worn out battery so swapped that after giving it a full service, swapped the glow plugs out after that as thought that may have been it, swapped the MAF sensor out and still no avail, have had VCDS plugged in and no faults, compression test is all fine.
The car doesnt idle “perfectly” smooth but nothing out of the ordinary and no smoke from exhaust.
Im beginning to think it could be timing issues from reading other forums but dont have exactly the same issues as others. Any ideas and experience would be very welcome and i thank you for your time in advance.
Cheers Ben.

Hi Ben, I've got a BRD also. It was mapped 18 months ago+, before which it had a lumpy idle. The idle is now much smoother thanks to the map.
I've just had the car back after some work including swapping the glow plugs as I was experiencing issues with cold starts & the starts appear to have improved (although it's only been a couple of days). If it begins playing up on start again I might pester you for answers.

Worth looking at fuel/oil system?

Hi @AvantMike,

sorry for the delayed reply, i have been waiting to reply before swapping out my next suspect part.

I replaced the coolant temp sensor, as have read on others that this can be the issue but in my case, it has not changed a thing!

My next attempt will be the fuel temp sensor, they are only £15 or so from euros and both sensors are the same if you looked to get one and get confused.

So far ive changed,
Battery
Glow plugs
MAF Sensor
Coolant temp sensor

I have no fault codes
And compression is normal.

I’ll let you know how i get on with the fuel sensor, i noticed a difference with the new MAF sensor, car feel much more responsive and punchy now, they do get weak overtime so makes sense.

Cheers mate

Reactions: AvantMike
Check the torsion value (cam timing) on vcds (or obd11) mine was at 2.26° I adjusted it to 0° and now idles smooth

Reactions: AvantMike