S3 trim/light switch question....

TonyJ999

Reaction score
Afternoon chaps I just wondered if anyone can assist or have any thoughts on my little “problem”.

I’ve had my S3 for about 5 months now. It was a great buy and the price was so low for a 1 owner car it would have been rude not to take it! However, it was very much a “standard” car, which is probably why it was so cheap, but after reading around a bit I got caught by the “upgrading” bug. It is amazing what you can pick up with a bit of bartering on eBay!!

Recently I’ve had the MMI swapped out to the 7” screen, powered mirrors added and reversing camera added (all way above my skill level...). However, in that process the new stuff fitted (donated from an RS3) had the later, white back lights. I was living with it but it did look slightly off in the cabin against the standard red, especially at night. So I have been slowly and methodically altering things.

From eBay I got a new switch panel from a 2017, changed all the interior lights to LED and I’m about to swap out the window switches etc in the next couple of days. However, I have encountered an ongoing issue with the light control switch. I have tried a couple recently, allegedly from late 2017 cars but they still appear to have the red back lighting.

So my question is I suppose, is the later models backlighting white or red when the switch is activated?

My model is pretty basic in the light department so it does not have auto function etc., and when I started looking for one I was amazed at the bewildering variety of combinations available so I have posted a picture of mine.

Part number from the original for reference is 8V0941531AB.

IMG 20200228 162614

it might be that after the facelift all the s3 were fitted with auto lights only? They should be white, i've looked in the past and the easy way for me to tell the difference is the button for the front fog lights (which you wont have) is different. Maybe its a prod to update to auto lights :whistle2:

Reactions: TonyJ999
it might be that after the facelift all the s3 were fitted with auto lights only? They should be white, i've looked in the past and the easy way for me to tell the difference is the button for the front fog lights (which you wont have) is different. Maybe its a prod to update to auto lights :whistle2:

Mmmm that's an interesting point and I had not thought of that, although I'm not a fan of automatic lights. Never really understood the need for them.... :grinning:

Newer models are white, as I done this on my RS3 8P from red to white on everything.

2078a8fe99033c9ff8a58241f29a2bdd.png
b2bfed281e7fb773a2b4d6c8711c42da.plist
089e100e8c83dc67365c7fb6536eaafd.png
dca44bfaadff4313c32df4216740fdbb.png
0f7591c7352d7b7bbab52f30bf6efddb.png

Nice. So did you swap all the switches out? If so do you know the part number for the light switch???

I pulled everything out, stripped everything and resoldered new LEDs, SMDs to everything.