advice needed please

andy-exige

Reaction score
hi all im putting a 2000 Audi s3 engine in the back of my lotus exige, not having had much experience with audi engines im just after some advive on power upgrades and gear boxes,

i will have to put a 1.8 golf turbo gear box on to the engine to make it two wheel drive (correct if iam wrong ) i have been told these will bolt straight up to the engine.....

i have fished about for power upgrades and you can re map the s3 engine up to around 300 bhp with out and hassel ?? again this is only things i have been told ( by the people selling them haha )

and advive much apriciated

cheers

andy
:meeting:

S3 comes as standard with 2 intercoolers, not sure if this will affect your conversion or not?

i was thinking about either one big one or one on either side were the air ducts are, i have a friend who has done the same conversion, but with a std engine iam after "uping" the power to around 350bhp but i need to keep the std turbo so i get fast acceleration

I've read somewhere that the standard S3 turbo and engine internals are only good for around 300bhp? Not sure how true this is?

For 350 bhp you will need to upgrade the turbo and associated parts...

A 2000 S3 engine you should get about 260 after a remap...

300 would b fine i would like to keep the relability of the engine and box , max power with near std lag so it flys of the line

so what would be the best way to achive a 300bhp motor with a two wheel drive box and LSD

which gear boxes can i use ??

what LSDs and final drives are available to suit the gear boxes ??

Could you keep the standard engine and turbo but have a custom re-map once the engine is fitted, that way they can re-map to car the way you want it? 260-270bhp?

the s3 comes with a ko4 turbo and will not make 300bhp. you can get hybrid k04 turbos that have near standard lag these use the k04 case and different internals. i think its called an ellimanator but someone will corect me if im wrong and i think you should see 300bhp plus with this.

you can use a 6 speed box from a seat leon cupra R as these are fwd (thats if you want 6 speed)

not really bothered about 6 gears as it is a competition car so 5 would do fine ,

do the engines have a alloy block ?? ( something else a friend told me )

I guess you've got the engine already, otherwise you could grab a 1.8T engine out of a TT and get the gearbox and everything that goes with it in one, then remap that to the hilt :racer:

batwad said:
I guess you've got the engine already, otherwise you could grab a 1.8T engine out of a TT and get the gearbox and everything that goes with it in one, then remap that to the hilt :racer:

ihave my name on one from a breakers not bought yet - what is better about the 1.8t out of the TT ??

would i hit 300 easier with this set up ??

You'll need to make custom mounts for the engine and the gearbox, and allow for the cable change gearbox if you don't already have a suitable tunnel.

You'll also obviously need custom driveshafts.

There is a company that does this already, although I forget the name, they charge 10K for it and for that you get sub 4 second 0-60, so its an absolute monster.

Your best bet would be asking this same question on www.clubgti.com/forum in the motorsport section, there will be some people on there that have already done similar conversions.

No, I'd pretty much forget about 300bhp to be honest if you're not upgrading the turbo (Although you should get relatively close) - You should get a better 'power at the wheels' figure than a same specced S3 though due to less transmission loss which is the most important bit I should think! :)

S3IZZO said:
No, I'd pretty much forget about 300bhp to be honest if you're not upgrading the turbo (Although you should get relatively close) - You should get a better 'power at the wheels' figure than a same specced S3 though due to less transmission loss which is the most important bit I should think! :)

its not that i dont want to change the turbo its that i want to stay away from large lag i need 0-60 rather than 15000 mph top end if you get me :arco:

A 1.8T engine in an Exige is near enough as fast as an Ariel Atom, better than an S3 is a MASSIVE understatement.

If you want to stay away from large lag, then look at a 1.8T with a hybrid K04 turbo, or for less money, a K03s from a late Seat/Golf.

The standard K04 will do about 265Bhp, the K03s has a very similar power curve but is a lot less money, and produces about 220Bhp (but looking at curves, is no less capable than a K04).

A hybrid K04 about 280Bhp with the power curve of the K03s.

Done properly, you'll be looking at superbike beating figures.

Dave_Bayern said:
A 1.8T engine in an Exige is near enough as fast as an Ariel Atom, better than an S3 is a MASSIVE understatement.

REALLY i had no idea what are the stats on the 1.8 t TT ?? i was thinking on the theory that bigger was better ?

Some more information here, and I KNOW thats been improved up, look in this months Practical Performance Car for more data:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/printer_1245.shtml

Basically with a standard K04 turbo, that on a standard TT or S3, in the Exige, you are looking at 250Bhp +, 0-60 in 5 seconds and 0-100 in under 10 seconds.

Using an IHI turbo, 320Bhp and 305ft.lbs of torque, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and 0-100 in 8.5 seconds with a better curve.

That is PROPER supercar performance.

The FULL conversion including engine is 7K for the K04 and 9K for the IHI.

Almost makes it worth not bothering to do yourself......

andy-exige said:
ihave my name on one from a breakers not bought yet - what is better about the 1.8t out of the TT ??

would i hit 300 easier with this set up ??
I don't know about the 300 figure, but the 1.8T in the TT is near as damn it the same engine as in an S3, just that you'll be able to get a FWD setup.