06 a3 2.0tdi 170 quattro HUGE DPF PROBLEM cut out wont restart Help please

lloyd davies

Reaction score
Hi i have recently bought this car off someone i know, already knowing a few of the problems but this is a new one. the glow plug light has been flashing and i have continued to pop to the shop in it occasinally it comes in and out of limp mode but generally the glowplug light stays flashing most of the time..
all of a sudden after a few short journeys the dpf light came on which was the first iv ever seen or heard about it on this car. after about 5 miles in 2 different journeys it lost all power and cut out on me with a bit of smoke or steam from under the bonnet area. when i tried to restart it would fire and go to start but seem to cut itself out. after leaving it overnight before towing back home i tried again to start it bit was just turnimg over with no sign of firing until battery started to go. i have been waiting for a code reader to arrive and a battery booster which i have been meaning to buy.. i am just about to jabe a look to see if there is anything i can do personally or atleast diagnose a problem and go from there. i fear it seems quite bad news by the way it lost power and came to a stop and threw a bit of smoke out. soumds like a possible fully blocked dpf. just guessimg as this is the newest and first diesel i have had with dpf so i am completly new to the issues they suffer. any pointers from experience would be great i will let you know what i find when i try to crank it over to get the codes. thanks for reading lloyd

Do not start it further, wait for the code reader & check dpf levels if it allows, you could do allot more damage.

Do not start it further, wait for the code reader & check dpf levels if it allows, you could do allot more damage.
NhN is right dont try starting again my 2011 had a cheap one fitted under warranty from garage 10 months later warning light came on limp mode got it scanned was dpf prior to that it was some motorway driving lucky for me I got Audi one fitted 2yrs warranty £660 saw old one it was caked. My girlfriend Ives in Blackpool it gets a good kicking

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

One of the first cars with a DPF then. Most likely you’ll need a new one, the early ones don’t last that long and only way to keep them clear is to decent miles in them.

Below is my personal opinion.

Seeing as the car cuts out due to a possible fully blocked dpf. Go to the G450 sensor (this measures the differential DPF pressure to approximate the level of blockage) and just unplug both pipes going to the sensor (this will give some but very little space for the exhaust gases to escape).

See if the car stays alive for a few seconds more than before - perform this test back to back to help pinpoint if the DPF IS actually fully blocked.

I have the exact same car so can send photos if required.

It if improves very slightly then you have found a way to confirm it is actually the problem, then DPF gut and delete and stage 1 Remap and enjoy the hills of Wales.

thanks for the replies i gave up on the car a little over christmas and tried to forget about it but i need to know where i stand with it now... im going to charge the battery tomorrow and have a look at it. I had a 1.9tdi before this one and managed to do all jobs it ever needed myself because i dont trust small garages and cant afford main dealer prices but these 2.0 are proving difficuilt already..AQUIBI that would be great if you could point me in the right direction with some pics. dont think the code reader i have would tell me the dpf levels but hopefully it will tell me if it is another problem along side the dpf one because it was in and out of limp mode with the coil light coming off and on when i was doing the short journeys for a short period before the dpf light ever came on. hopefully i will know a bit more tomorrow thanks