Can anyone help?

JLA

Reaction score
Only had my A3 for a couple of weeks and today it died and won't start again. I got the AA to tow it home but he wasn't sure what the problem was. I called an auto electrician out and he took the fault codes from the machine he plugged in:

The car is a '99 A3 TDi sport 110

Anyone have any idea what these codes are? He didn't do a full diagnostics because it was peeing it down with rain.

I bought this car because I wanted something reliable and sensible and now I feel let down.

(Modulation Piston Displ.Sensor Circ. Malfunction)

Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached
Quantity Adjuster (N146): Lower Limit Attained

These are from a german translation lol

What does it actually mean in real terms tho? Is the engine about to fall out or is it a knackered relay?

17762 P1354 Modulation Piston Displ.Sensor Circ. Malfunction
17970 P1562 Quantity Adjuster Upper Limit Attained
17971 P1563 Quantity Adjuster Lower Limit Attained

I've tried searchin the net for answers, but can't find what these codes mean in in 'english'

It's now fixed and working agian :)

The electrician told me that the codes given by the ecu were misleading. It was saying that the fuel pump was knackered, but it turned out to be a fault with the ECU. Water had got into the ECU plugs and corroded them so badly one had burn out and fallen off. He took the ECU away and had a new socket part fitted to it, and fitted a new plug on the loom. He said what had happened is water had got into the pug/socket and sat there and basicly frazled them which confused the ECU into thinking something else was wrong, a comon fault he reconed because of the poor design location of the ECU. Plenty of silicone, a new plug and socket and £300 later its fixed.

What a releif was dreading having to take it to Audi to get it fixed.