ZF 8HP Transmission service

fbkane

Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a 2015 A6 bitdi with the 8 speed ZF box. Current mileage is at just over 60k and planning to get full oil filter etc service done at 70k. So I have emailed few places around me and got a reply from one company that has good reputation.

I just wanted to ask for opinion on using ZF LG8 oil vs Mannol Ag60. Been quoted £705 for full service using ZF's oil vs £525 for Mannols.

This is the email I received from them:

"Thanks for your email, please see the below information regarding ZF gearbox servicing, we use OEM filters but offer a choice of fluids.

8 Speed ZF

Total fluid change only, with no prechecks and no filter: £295 inc VAT using Mannol fluid

Partial change with filter and sleeve:

£390 inc VAT using Mannol AG60 fluid

£485 inc VAT using ZF LG8

Total change inc filter and sleeve:

£525 inc VAT using Mannol AG60 fluid

£705 inc VAT using ZF LG8

We recommend the total exchange, because there’s no point changing half your bath water....

We use an ATF machine which changes upto 98% of the fluid, (which iI openly admit that ZF don’t like us using, (probably because it means we can do a total fluid change with 15-16 litres (£250) of oil instead of 28(£400 worth), the more oil we use the more money they make). Our machine DOES NOT and CANNOT clean the filter. The process is as follows:

We drive the vehicle on the ramp, drain the transmission oil into a clean bucket, remove the sump pan, check for debris, if there is no adverse debris then we replace the sleeve, refit the sump and refill with oil

We connect our flushing machine cooler lines together and purge the system of any old oil in it (it only ever holds 50ml from the old car ... but let’s be thorough)

We then connect our machine to the cooler lines, our machine DOES NOT and physically CANNOT harm a transmission, it’s not pumping the oil out of the box, it’s not going the wrong way, it’s not pulsing... the oil pump in the gearbox is pumping the oil out and into it, the pressure and flow of the transmission fluid is measured and it’s quantity is calculated by weight on the internal scales. We start the car and run around 13-14 Litres of transmission fluid through your cooler line and into the box, the old oil coming out at the same time, our system is 98% effective in 13 litres (To get the same effect doing it manually will take you all day, cost you around 22litres of fluid, and you’ll be throwing half of that away) we then ask the machine to add an additional 150ml to the transmission and look at the screen for the temperature if it is within specification we turn the car off, disconnect the machine, refit the cooler pipes, clean the connections we have now made oily, start the car again, run through the gate twice and remove the level plug and allow to drain to the correct level.

The job is now done, and takes from start to finish around 3 hours"