Winter wheels

beemer5711

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m thinking about getting another set of wheels for winter tyres but for some reason I fancy some steels, some 18x8 or similar.
Trying to find some pics is proving difficult.
Has anyone had steels on a b8/.5 and have a picture?

cheers

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking about getting another set of wheels for winter tyres but for some reason I fancy some steels, some 18x8 or similar.
Trying to find some pics is proving difficult.
Has anyone had steels on a b8/.5 and have a picture?

cheers
What are steels?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I’m only guessing here but I’m thinking the original poster is referring to wheels made of steel rather than aluminium alloy.
Oh ha ha. Didn't even think that would be a good idea. What do I know. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Yes steel wheels. Surely people know that steel wheels are a thing? ha, ha.
Lots of cars on the continent run them in the winter.
But for me, there is something I like about the look of a nice car on steel wheels for the winter.

I just bought a used set of B8 5 spoke alloys and had them powder coated in silver/grey for winter use.

For my wife's last Polo, I did just buy a set of steels with winter tyres fitted from Mytyres.co.uk, they looked very nasty even just after the first winter, but with that car I bought a set of suitable sized Golf wheel covers - so Mytyres would provide you with a set of 18" correct sized steel wheels and even fit winter tyres to them, but expect to need to repaint them after every winter. Option being - buy a set of 18" alloys from a B8 and get them refurbished in black in powder coat.

Reactions: Bulldog
I just bought a used set of B8 5 spoke alloys and had them powder coated in silver/grey for winter use.

For my wife's last Polo, I did just buy a set of steels with winter tyres fitted from Mytyres.co.uk, they looked very nasty even just after the first winter, but with that car I bought a set of suitable sized Golf wheel covers - so Mytyres would provide you with a set of 18" correct sized steel wheels and even fit winter tyres to them, but expect to need to repaint them after every winter. Option being - buy a set of 18" alloys from a B8 and get them refurbished in black in powder coat.

Cheers, I didn't know Mytyres sold wheels too. You can buy powder coated steels for transporters which I think might look quite cool.

Good little deal on mytyre
b22d8e0331f75a364aaf5babca4caf2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a set of Autec Wizards in Gunmetal Grey in the garage with Goodyear Ultragrip something winter tyres on them waiting to get fitted to older daughter's new Leon Cupra.
Now I advised her to pick suitable 18" alloys that conform to OEM fitting and had only five spokes for easy cleaning and hopefully stronger wheels - though I added that she would need to "like" the look of these wheels as they would be on that car for near enough 6 months every year.
So, the chosen wheels were Autec Wizards, chosen for looks and the fact that they are very light and quite cheap for wheels that claim to be suitable for winter use.
That has left me with working out what McGard locking bolts I need to buy on her behalf, suitable spigot rings and even a spare set of 5 OEM wheel bolts that I will spray bright yellow or orange for use in winter if she gets a puncture.
Make sure that you understand that non OEM wheels tend to need 60 degree taper seat wheel bolts and that spigot rings will be needed and removed if needing to fit the car's own spare wheel in winter, so maybe a set of spare spigot rings might be handy to have in the car incase there is an issue removing one when needing to fit the spare wheel.
Personally I think that these nice and cheap Autec Wizards are a bit too weak, but what do I know.
Oh, and Autec supply 33mm long bolts when OEM are 27mm, so I'll need to make sure that the extra 6mm does not cause any issues!
Mytyres don't pack these wheels with tyres very well, all the 4 fitting kit boxes get fitted inside 1 wheel, DPD managed to allow them to break free, marking the inside of 1 wheel, but more of a problem, 1 bag of bits got lost and another ended up on the floor of the local delivery van so its spigot ring got crushed, Mytyre have said that they will send out the required parts, so that is okay as long as the ice and snow wait a bit longer before turning up.

Last edited:
I have a set of Autec Wizards in Gunmetal Grey in the garage with Goodyear Ultragrip something winter tyres on them waiting to get fitted to older daughter's new Leon Cupra.
Now I advised her to pick suitable 18" alloys that conform to OEM fitting and had only five spokes for easy cleaning and hopefully stronger wheels - though I added that she would need to "like" the look of these wheels as they would be on that car for near enough 6 months every year.
So, the chosen wheels were Autec Wizards, chosen for looks and the fact that they are very light and quite cheap for wheels that claim to be suitable for winter use.
That has left me with working out what McGard locking bolts I need to buy on her behalf, suitable spigot rings and even a spare set of 5 OEM wheel bolts that I will spray bright yellow or orange for use in winter if she gets a puncture.
Make sure that you understand that non OEM wheels tend to need 60 degree taper seat wheel bolts and that spigot rings will be needed and removed if needing to fit the car's own spare wheel in winter, so maybe a set of spare spigot rings might be handy to have in the car incase there is an issue removing one when needing to fit the spare wheel.
Personally I think that these nice and cheap Autec Wizards are a bit too weak, but what do I know.
Oh, and Autec supply 33mm long bolts when OEM are 27mm, so I'll need to make sure that the extra 6mm does not cause any issues!
Mytyres don't pack these wheels with tyres very well, all the 4 fitting kit boxes get fitted inside 1 wheel, DPD managed to allow them to break free, marking the inside of 1 wheel, but more of a problem, 1 bag of bits got lost and another ended up on the floor of the local delivery van so its spigot ring got crushed, Mytyre have said that they will send out the required parts, so that is okay as long as the ice and snow wait a bit longer before turning up.
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to find a set of OEM wheels, its difficult to find steels that fit with good offsets, centre bore and 5x112.

I have an as new set of 245/40R18 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D for sale if you’re keen?
Literally fitted to a car for a couple of miles then removed

I have an as new set of 245/40R18 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D for sale if you’re keen?
Literally fitted to a car for a couple of miles then removed

Maybe to give more confidence, add in the load and speed rating and if XL rated or not, as these would compliment a set of 18" 8J used OEM alloys nicely. The winter tyres that I bought for fitting to a used set of 18" Audi alloys were 245/40 R18 97V XL - for a 2011 S4.