Chipping + Insurance

pejpm

Reaction score
Right, I've got a A3 1.8 T Sport. I want to get it chipped at AmD. Should I tell my insurance company? I'm already paying £2500 p.a. (and that's with a completely clean licence) so I doubt they will let me unless I pay them a lot more money. I know that the insurance company can tell if the car has been rechipped if they get an approved inspector to read the flash. Under what circumstances would they have the car checked for this. Say, for example, my car gets nicked and then recovered, would they have it checked for re-chip before paying out for any damage, or if I smack it into another car, would they check it out? Let's have some honest answers, I am willing to take a small risk but if the car will get inspected before any insurance payout, it's not worth doing.

The other alternative is to get a revotech rechip, and purchase the unit that allows me to switch programs myself, although this is quite expensive and I've heard that the program isn't as good as the one that amd provide.

By the way, my name is Paul and I'm new to the forum.

Thanks

If they do inspect the car after a claim then you may not only find that you won't get any payout from them (hence you lose the value of the car) but you would also be exposed to 3rd party liability payments (could be £millions) and you may also get points/ban for driving with no insurance.

Pay the premium and settle for piece of mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have just checked with my insurers (elephant) who currently charge me £512 comp for my A3 1.8T. They have two options in the "chip modifications" section.
1) chip upgrade up to 26% additional £212
2) chip upgrade above 26% "plaese phone" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

26% is a bit of a gray area. most chip manufacturers offer hp up between 185-195 for the basic upgrade.
I think AMD offer 40hp = 190hp
150hp + 26% is 189hp.
hmmmmm

26% would be fine! Doo you think they would RR it if you have an accident!?! i dont.

Rich

you had better change your spec sheet to say 189bhp instead of 192 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I know how you feel Pejpm.
Why dont you start by uprating your shocks, then brakes, then wheels/tyres?
By this time you will have some more experience and your car will be much more capable to cope with the extra performance a chip will offer.

Your insurance company will love you then !!!!

tesco's quoted me £1034 fully comp. im 23 have 4 yrs no claims. 3pts for speeding and live close to london. car is parked on driveway and all mods declared. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Im was surprised! surprised fhow ****** much they wanted!! elephant wanted to take my premium from £1100 to £1900!!!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
Rich

Excuse me for being rude, but how old are you when you are paying that much for insurance? How much no claims do you have etc.

I ask this because I am 25, 5 years NCB and have an S3 and I am no where near that much.

In fact, I just tried to get a quote from Tesco. Premium is £421.05. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 21, 0 yrs no claims, clean licsence and pay £2500! I would consider it a blessing if someone quoted me £1100! Well done Rich!

[ QUOTE ]
Pejpm said:
[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Im was surprised! surprised fhow ****** much they wanted!! elephant wanted to take my premium from £1100 to £1900!!!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
Rich

Excuse me for being rude, but how old are you when you are paying that much for insurance? How much no claims do you have etc.

I ask this because I am 25, 5 years NCB and have an S3 and I am no where near that much.

In fact, I just tried to get a quote from Tesco. Premium is £421.05. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 21, 0 yrs no claims, clean licsence and pay £2500! I would consider it a blessing if someone quoted me £1100! Well done Rich!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there are a few reason.. A) its only a 10month policy, B) i live in the lowest crime rate area in the UK, and C)1 years NCB, 2 years driving.

Rich

Always tell the insurance company as they will try their best not to pay out if they can!!

A friend of mine had a accident in his Pug 205 1.9GTI, he had a choice of hitting a car headon on bouncing off a tree!!

The insurance company refused to pay out his claim as one of his tyres was just below the legal limit!!
So if they want they can check anything if it means they don't have to pay!!