S3 brake pads rattling...

Damo S

Reaction score
Argh its so annoying. The garage who I've used for 20 years serviced the S3 over a month ago, part of which they strip clean and reassemble the brakes (they have always done this as part of a service).
Soon after I noticed there was a knocking noise from the front when going over certain bumps, and over a period of about a week it got worse to the extent it sounded like a spanner was left under the bonnet somewhere. Rolling backwards and forwards and touching the brake there was an obvious clonk in each direction.
I took the car back and they said perhaps the retaining springs were not holding any more so suggested some new pads. By this time the same knocking seems to have started at the rear too. I had some new pads fitted and it went away for about a week but I think it's started again, and during this time the rears have got progressively worse as well. The rear pads are only a year old so I find it hard to see how they could have lost tension in that time. Absolutely no knocking at all prior to the service. Also, no knocking over bumps at all when braking. IT does all point to the pads just being a bit loose in the callipers

what could they have done to **** this up? Its almost like (at a guess) there are some shims or something that need to be in place as well as the retaining springs on the pads to stop them rattling about. It would be nice to have some ideas before I take back (again) on Saturday morning.

It happens & shims usually fix the issue, mine are doing this now, so I'll shim them.

Fixed at least. It required taking the brembo pads out and fitting some "genuine audi" pads at nearly 3 times the cost. Really very odd

Do you know when fitting the brembo pads you got new shims, clips etc or were the old ones just re-used?
I would have expected brembo pads to be of high quality.

Brembo brake pads are over-rated and trade on the name. I've had to return Brembo pads where the three prongs on the reverse of the pad fitting against the calliper piston (BMW ATE system), would just not fit.

Brembo brake pads are over-rated and trade on the name.
Too sweeping a statement by half, if you don't mind me saying.

I've used Brembo pads (and discs) on four cars over the past dozen or so years and never had any problems whatsoever.

I understand that you speak as you find, but I do too. You wouldn't use them again; I wouldn't hesitate.

Reactions: Username Login
You've now seen two instances of poor fitment on this thread alone :glee:
It's the nature of forums like this one.

People rarely post with compliments but complaints are two a penny.

For every punter who's had a problem with this, that or the other there are many, many more who haven't.

Nobody bothers to post if nothing's gone wrong. It makes for very dull reading.

Just imagine how tiresome a relentless diet of good news would be. There'd be nothing to get all wound up about.

Do you know when fitting the brembo pads you got new shims, clips etc or were the old ones just re-used?
I agree with this but Brembo dont make their own pads they only make their own discs.

TMD friction make brembo pads, TMD friction also make Pagid pads (sold at Euro car parts) o and guess who makes OEM vag group pads yup pagid soooooooo Brembo are just rebranded pagid which are rebranded OEM pads sooooo they are all the same!!

You are paying for a box in essence so you will not get any better pads if you go to audi or Euro car parts.

I have seen the TMD friction factory and i have seen the pads go for printing and boxing they all come from the same production line.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I agree with this but Brembo dont make their own pads they only make their own discs.

TMD friction make brembo pads, TMD friction also make Pagid pads (sold at Euro car parts) o and guess who makes OEM vag group pads yup pagid soooooooo Brembo are just rebranded pagid which are rebranded OEM pads sooooo they are all the same!!

You are paying for a box in essence so you will not get any better pads if you go to audi or Euro car parts.

I have seen the TMD friction factory and i have seen the pads go for printing and boxing they all come from the same production line.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I’ve been using trw and blueprint stuff for ages and never had problems. The probably all made in the same factory.
It’s like spark plugs. There’s probably a handful of manufacturers worldwide but about 1000 brands including the oe ones.

Reactions: Phutters
I have had and still have a similar issue with my DS2500’s. I bent the retaining springs open a little more and did the trick. I think it depends on what pads you get.

I have had and still have a similar issue with my DS2500’s. I bent the retaining springs open a little more and did the trick. I think it depends on what pads you get.

I remember looking for pads for my old a6 and different manufacturers had pads that fit but if you look at the specs they were all slightly different. I’m talking about a mm or so between them whether it was height or width but that might be enough to rattle.

Reactions: MikeParkin
I remember looking for pads for my old a6 and different manufacturers had pads that fit but if you look at the specs they were all slightly different. I’m talking about a mm or so between them whether it was height or width but that might be enough to rattle.

Oh most definitely, mine just has a small clunk moving backwards but apart from that there spit on to be honest. Well they certainly stop the car when I need to.

Reactions: AlS3BE

Me too, but perhaps I had a set of duff pads

Resurrecting an old thread but just gone through the same issue with front brembo pads on my S3 via my trusted garage.

Had new brembo pads and discs all round and have had issues.

Firstly had massive squealing on front drivers side under braking to a stop. New pads didn’t help only changing the disc and pad helped but then came your issue.

The front pads had wiggle room in their mount and the springs didn’t hold them in place sufficiently so rattled loudly on medium severity bumps. Having checked, it appears no shims available for them so he ordered OE pads and they are longer in the body (to fill the space fully) with firmer springs, tbh genuinely look a far superior product, as they should be for the price.

They also have a central break gap in the pad itself which I imagine helps with heat dissipation or something.

Brembo clearly haven’t kept up with possible revisions on these.

For this reason I would advise others to avoid the brembo pads.

Too much ‘bad luck’ for one car my mechanic said he’s not using brembo any more as a result of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damo S
Hi Guys,
I seem to have the same problem … my Trusted garage recommended Comline pads and I have the dreaded pad rattle now.. no shims provided with the pads… is OE the only option or do any other pads have the correct dimensions for the pad carriers?
thanks Neil

You may well be correct, although I cant find any evidence that I bought them from Eurocar parts. The only thing I bought from them around that time was the pipercross air filter. I cant find where I got them from but wasnt them. They may well have been fake rubbish though. I didnt know such a thing existed for brake pads. Good to know.