Circuit for Fuel Tank Flap Error

8BallAddict

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Getting a temperamental issue when trying to get the fuel filler flap open....

9CBD56F2 F415 4E0C AD48 257DCD1393EB

Anyone seen this before?

TIA

Fuel flap solenoid is a common failure. Not sure if it shows a code though.
@jassyo06 had this recently and there was a thread about it.

Reactions: 8BallAddict
Fuel flap solenoid is a common failure. Not sure if it shows a code though.
@jassyo06 had this recently and there was a thread about it.
still haven't had it replaced will get it done at the same time as the engine service
Flap sits better in place with it broken lol

Reactions: AlS3BE
My car was showing a similar error with Carista but then it disappeared

My fuel flap was stuck closed and I had to use the manual release to open it to fill up fuel. Had the solenoid replaced. Common issue on the 8v.

Further to my post above, I realised today that my fuel cap is actually stuck open, I can open it when the car is locked. Is it a big job to get this fixed? I've got extended warranty but got £100 excess

Further to my post above, I realised today that my fuel cap is actually stuck open, I can open it when the car is locked. Is it a big job to get this fixed? I've got extended warranty but got £100 excess

I think I was quoted £40-50 for the part ages ago on an a6 as I had to force it open as I had no fuel. Audi warranted it in the end so never had to pay for it.
Probably get it fixed for less than £100 I would guess.

It's not a huge concern (as long as no one syphons off all my fuel!), might wait til something else comes up under warranty so I can get it done at the same time (and same excess).

It's not a huge concern (as long as no one syphons off all my fuel!), might wait til something else comes up under warranty so I can get it done at the same time (and same excess).

Think these modern cars have anti syphoning devices in them. It’s like a floating egg cup. Probably easier to drill a hole underneath the car and drain your fuel than get a mouthful of petrol with a tube.
I drove around for ages with mine broken and at least I don’t think anyone stole my fuel:wink:

I would imagine it does, I sometimes fill up with a canister and it works fine (apparently sometimes the anti-syphoning makes it impossible to fill up with a canister, my brother test-drove an ST which ran out of fuel and they couldn't fill it with a canister, just poured out on to the floor apparently). My car has been like this possibly for quite a while, unless someone presses the lid in and pops it open it's not visible from outside that it's not locked hence I'm not too worried :)

Reactions: AlS3BE
Relatively common

Our GTD suffered this

£35 part iirc

Fitting wasn’t too bad except the unclipping of the connector was tricky because you are doing it just be feel and there’s not much room either.

fa0c175a9623893800e896530df6bbef.jpg

Reactions: HertS3
I would imagine it does, I sometimes fill up with a canister and it works fine (apparently sometimes the anti-syphoning makes it impossible to fill up with a canister, my brother test-drove an ST which ran out of fuel and they couldn't fill it with a canister, just poured out on to the floor apparently). My car has been like this possibly for quite a while, unless someone presses the lid in and pops it open it's not visible from outside that it's not locked hence I'm not too worried :)

Some cars are a pain to fill with a Jerrycan.

Relatively common

Our GTD suffered this

£35 part iirc

Fitting wasn’t too bad except the unclipping of the connector was tricky because you are doing it just be feel and there’s not much room either.

fa0c175a9623893800e896530df6bbef.jpg

Hmm maybe if I can find the part cheap I'll attempt the repair myself.

Is it something like this? (except this is FL)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173968693692

Hmm maybe if I can find the part cheap I'll attempt the repair myself.

Is it something like this? (except this is FL)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173968693692
Make sure you get the right one. No doubt there will be subtle differences between hatch, sportback, saloon and cabrio. Thing that comes to mind will be the emergency red cord.
Try @creweaudiparts on here. Had a few parts from them and pretty competitive.

Indeed - some places (on eBay) show the part number I gave above as the fuel flap release solenoid, others as the throttle control element??? :wtf:

Sorry to Hijack the thread but my fuel nozzle flap had got stuck and I cant get the nozzle in. The filler cap and screw work fine, it just wont let me push the nozzle in past the flap.

Any ideas?

That is very confusing!! Cardiff Audi (Audi Parts Direct on eBay) confirmed that 8V0862153A fits my vehicle, from the picture it looks like 3A with the emergency release 6??

Looks like 3a and 6 is 1 part.

Sorry to Hijack the thread but my fuel nozzle flap had got stuck and I cant get the nozzle in. The filler cap and screw work fine, it just wont let me push the nozzle in past the flap.

Any ideas?

This is a completely different problem. Only ever had something like this on an old car and it needed a replacement filler neck which include the metal hole where you stick the nozzle. Wasn’t cheap as I remembered.

@T-800 I've now ordered the part, can you please let me know how to remove the cover to get the position in your photo above?

Hi, I have the same fault with my actuator and already got the parts to replace, but still didn't have the time to do the change.
According to the manuals and some videos I've found about VW/Audi car fuel flap lock replacement, you have to break the four small windows around the frame in order to reach the clips with a flat screwdriver and release them. The frame gets damaged with holes in the windows. That seems to explain why the dealership always replaces the whole fuel flap set when the actuator is damaged. Some users don't find necessary to replace it with a new frame and keep the original one with the holes, though. The page you linked doesn't mention this, so I suppose they found another way to release the clips, maybe by forcing with the tool around the border instead of through the windows.
Another thing I've noticed is that the page also doesn't mention a drain hose that exists in the 8V. According to the manuals, the bottom side of the hose is connected to a clip. You have to release the wheel housing liner in order to reach the clip area.

Ok so I had a look today and I’m not sure how to do it. The page I linked isn’t for the 8V and it looks completely different.
I’d be interested to know how @T-800 managed to get the cover off in that photo!

Does anyone know the part number for the plastic surround inside the petrol flap? I don't know even know what to call it lol. Thinking I'll need to order it in case the original breaks when replacing the actuator, as @Rcord mentions above.

Does anyone know whether the hose needs to be poking out of the hole beneath the petrol inlet? My mechanic friend managed to get the surround out and actuator replaced without damaging it but the hose is not sticking out anymore, is that necessary?