Please Help - Timing Chain Issue

Steve Poulsom

Reaction score
Hi

My 07 plate 3.2 is making the noise in this video

I'm waiting for a quote from an Audi dealer (Bristol) but my problem is that this car has only done 37k miles and for the chain to need replacing so soon seems ridiculous to me.

Are there any other instances of this at such low mileage? Audi have said they will not contribute to the costs due to the age of the car and I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks

Budget at least 3k if it is the chain.

Do a search. There is one of the longest threads in history on here about this very issue.

Do you have vcds? If so you can look at some measuring blocks to see if the chain is out.

On an 07 you shouldn’t really have this issue as it affected earlier models where the chain was stamped with the makers mark, causing a weak point and chain stretch.

Paddy where art thou?

Its a 3.2 issue & its not cheap to fix at all if its stretched.

Last edited:
I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the oilways for the tensioners can get bkocked, causing the symptoms of a stretched chain. An oil change can sometimes cure it as this flushes out the gunk and they start working again.

I really hope so for his benefit, however all the 3.2 reported issues I know of wernt this.

You could be right. When I was having an issue with mine I read so much on so many different forums I confused myself.

Yeah that’s the chain, you should have the tensioner and guides changed as well. A good Indy can do that.