Changing rear pads , discs

bokoboy

Reaction score
hi folks could anyone suggest what I need for releasing the electric handbrake ? My old laptop is goosed so I just have my iPad or iPhone , what software hardware etc ? Thanks

OBDeleven adapter may work out cheaper if you ever want to do anything again can also do some advanced stuff too but by no means VCDS is an android app but iOS apparently coming with next release ... no monthly fee works on a coin system can get them for free by watching adverts =)

Or pay the proper money and get a VCDS cable but that will need a laptop

Have you used this ? Or anyone on here ? Looks like it will do the job :icon thumright: won’t be long paying for itself as my mate has an a4 with electric parking brake :grinning:
Yes mate. I have used it...Does the job:thumbs up:

My Ross tech paid for itself with one rear disc and pad change! Was quoted £460 by Audi and got the parts for £90 and spent 2 hours doing it myself. Didn’t bother with the battery charging as didn’t think it would take too long.
Make sure you have all the correct tools before you start as it is really tight to get into a couple of the fasteners. I had to use an Allen key where I would normally use a socket and the bolts are m12 triple square sockets. Luckily I had access to impact sockets but there wasn’t room for the ratchet. This adds about 1/2 hour into the job! Apart from the tight fit, it is straightforward.
I would love to know what tools the guys at Audi use.

Reactions: pburv
i liked the old 8P rear setup, you could remove the discs without removing the carriers . After a few years of Scottish weather the M12 bolts are dodgy to remove..

Can change pads and discs without any software.

Save even more money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can change pads and discs without any software.

Save even more money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
if you force the rear caliper pistons back without retracting the electic motors you will most likely damage them or at very least they bind and overheat.

if you force the rear caliper pistons back without retracting the electic motors you will most likely damage them or at very least they bind and overheat.

There’s a way to remove the motor and wind them back manually with a torx bit but should only be used in emergency as I’m told. It’s been a while since I’ve had to do one but I remember in vcds there’s a routine or something you run after new pads so it knows the limits/thickness of the pads.

Unbolt motor and wind gears back, then push piston back!

Guide on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you don’t mind me picking your brains but did you leave your battery on charge ? I’ve been reading up on the job and this seems to be recommended !
I didn,t but I knew it wasn,t going to take long so took the chance...If you have a charger then use it just to be safe.
Appologies for the late reply...I,m not on here much these days. When I do I try and help out if I can:icon thumright: