Rear wiper doing it's own thing

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
On random occasions for no reason what-so-ever, my rear wiper gives me a friendly wave and then stays turned off for the rest of the journey.
The wiper stalk is set to 'Auto' for the fronts but in the 'off' position for the rear wiper.
This happens without the front wiper going, often when it's dry and not needed.

Has this happened to anyone else? I have no stored fault codes.

I suspected it may be the case, but was hoping there may be another explanation.
Thanks for the link.

Yeah its zee germans.......

As above & check for water leaking on boot lock connector & clean any corrosion.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
You’ve been on this forum long enough to know all about rear wiper problems and what to do :shutup2:

Thanks Gaz.
Mine hasn't shown signs of failing yet, but when it does I will get it replaced.

012EA0CD 18B1 439A 9BAE 6B30DAE19513
What you described in your OP is a sign of it failing, it will get worse over time.
Exactly.
There is already washer fluid festering inside the motor body, it’s this which is causing the motor to operate randomly when it shouldn’t.
When the motor on my A3 went I took the old one apart and it was like this inside.....

Good to know, thanks again guys.
I will replace it, but not until it fails completely. Summer is around the corner and rarely use the car outside of weekends so it's got a bit of life left in it yet.

Delete it, looks better. You're not reversing by any chance when it happens.

Delete it, looks better. You're not reversing by any chance when it happens.
Personally I think it looks worse, so it will be kept and replaced when needed.
No, always when driving forward. I know about the rear coming on when the front wipers are active and the car is put into reverse.