Sat nav upgrade cost

PaddyMcpadington

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick one,
I've got a 2013 Audi A3 with the RMC navigation SD card based.
Just rang Audi and they've said it'll cost me £250 to have the satnav upgraded.
Is it possible to get it cheaper.
I understand not to go for eBay ones as they can brick the unit.

Many thanks!

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Frankly I find the Audi sat nav to be very poor. I stick to Google maps.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well that solves that one
Would you know how good the Audi satnav is in terms of knowing where destinations are and reliability of traffic.

Shocking compared to google maps for traffic. It always knows where destinations are, never had any trouble on my old A3. for 250 its prob worth it. So, you dont have maps now or are you just looking to update the SD Card? becuase if you have 2013 maps then i would prob just stick to that if its working.

It's over £600 to get satnav installed onto compatible systems by Audi. Must just be an upgrade.

Reactions: PaddyMcpadington
Shocking compared to google maps for traffic. It always knows where destinations are, never had any trouble on my old A3. for 250 its prob worth it. So, you dont have maps now or are you just looking to update the SD Card? becuase if you have 2013 maps then i would prob just stick to that if its working.
Yeah, I think it's 2014 maps at the moment.
I struggle with massive junctions and roundabouts sometimes when I travel the country.
I would like something that could display which lane to take at new junctions, things like that.

I struggle with massive junctions and roundabouts sometimes when I travel the country.
I would like something that could display which lane to take at new junctions, things like that.

You should have that already with your current maps, just not the new roads.. You are not gonna get new functions! Just new map data! You will prob need a whole new car for new functions! Cheaper to use google maps!!

As it is just the new maps that you need then 250 is the correct price...

You should have that already with your current maps, just not the new roads.. You are not gonna get new functions! Just new map data! You will prob need a whole new car for new functions! Cheaper to use google maps!!

As it is just the new maps that you need then 250 is the correct price...
Well, I definitely won't upgrade if it only improves roads and doesn't add any newer functions. Defeats the point of an upgrade
I might stick with Google maps and or Waze
Ideally also need to know where the speed cameras are as well

Well, I definitely won't upgrade if it only improves roads and doesn't add any newer functions. Defeats the point of an upgrade
I might stick with Google maps and or Waze
Ideally also need to know where the speed cameras are as well

Yup! Your just paying for new maps. Nothing else. Depends how often you use it really and if you have Audi connect. Persoanly, if I were in your position and I always sent destinations to the car and used it daily then yeah I would upgrade. But if it’s for the odd occasion then I would invest in a good phone holder like the one that sits int he middle of the vents. Forgot the name of it now.

Yup! Your just paying for new maps. Nothing else. Depends how often you use it really and if you have Audi connect. Persoanly, if I were in your position and I always sent destinations to the car and used it daily then yeah I would upgrade. But if it’s for the odd occasion then I would invest in a good phone holder like the one that sits int he middle of the vents. Forgot the name of it now.
Well, I have the clearmount mount which is the one I think you mean. It's just I don't have much data, so it's irritating when I get to my destination and I've used half my data

Well, I have the clearmount mount which is the one I think you mean. It's just I don't have much data, so it's irritating when I get to my destination and I've used half my data

Upgrading your data package would cost less than the Audi maps!!

Reactions: Leevr

I had just set up a tomtom go essential with a 6 inch screen onto a brodit fixing that clips over the vent holder of my 8P A3. It is far better than the sat nav in our 2016 8v A3 and is below the sight line of the screen which was a bonus. Gives all the lanes and far more timely instructions, the only trouble is that the 8P has died after 15 years of good work so was a wasted effort,but seriously thinking of using it in the new replacement A3 even though it comes with the sd nav as standard.

I had just set up a tomtom go essential with a 6 inch screen onto a brodit fixing that clips over the vent holder of my 8P A3. It is far better than the sat nav in our 2016 8v A3 and is below the sight line of the screen which was a bonus. Gives all the lanes and far more timely instructions, the only trouble is that the 8P has died after 15 years of good work so was a wasted effort,but seriously thinking of using it in the new replacement A3 even though it comes with the sd nav as standard.
Im gonna just keep using Google maps or Waze at the moment as it's free. However, I am seriously contemplating whether or not to get a separate satnav, a really good one, or get the MIB2 retrofit allowing me to use android auto with the car system. Which is admittedly very expensive, like £1500.

Reactions: traindweller
Im gonna just keep using Google maps or Waze at the moment as it's free. However, I am seriously contemplating whether or not to get a separate satnav, a really good one, or get the MIB2 retrofit allowing me to use android auto with the car system. Which is admittedly very expensive, like £1500.

Android auto is really good, I couldn't be with out it , the fact you're able to use the assistant while driving is great, reading texts, sending them, navigating to places, making phone calls etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk