Close to buying a s3

I worked it out to 14% so that makes 3 different percentages. :D
It doesn't matter though because the money speaks for itself, and we all agree it is a good discount. :)

Well we have just got back from audi oldham and i can confirm we have bought the s3 .
Just got to wait for our private plate to be sorted out before we collect it .
Can't wait to pick it up :racer:

Reactions: NevMan, wab172uk, loftylad and 4 others
Well we have just got back from audi oldham and i can confirm we have bought the s3 .
Just got to wait for our private plate to be sorted out before we collect it .
Can't wait to pick it up :racer:

Nice one & look forward to pics :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan
Only things I don't like about my 17 S3 sedan:

- the tranny programming in comfort is too aggressive at upshifting to maximize economy. the TFSI just doesn't have the tq at 1500rpm to move this car so it's slow to react when making changes. I got Unitronic TCU tune to solve this.

- the rear suspension is a bit squidgey over bumps (tends to wiggle). this could be a result of soft rubber bushings in the rear control arm

- the fuel mileage is not impressive for a 2.0T. I'm getting about 10L/100km driving reasonably in 50/50 city/highway.

You may get a bit better mileage with the 7 speed compared to my 6 speed.

Other than that, I love it -- especially the looks, tech and stereo and traction under any condition with the Stage 1 ECU/TCU.

I should be picking the S3 up tomorrow fingers crossed but this is the first performance car i have bought from new
So my question is does the S3 have a engine run in period or a set amount of miles you need to get to .

Also i am looking to get GAP insurance audi want £600 for three years or £450 for two years or should i get it else where ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin, loftylad and listers_socks
I should be picking the S3 up tomorrow fingers crossed but this is the first performance car i have bought from new
So my question is does the S3 have a engine run in period or a set amount of miles you need to get to .

Also i am looking to get GAP insurance audi want £600 for three years or £450 for two years or should i get it else where ?
Look forward to pictures, I'm getting my S5 tomorrow as well! Definitely get it elsewhere! Mine is with a company called direct gap, think it was £350 for a 4 year policy, to invoice/replacement vehicle if possible. I'm sure if you shop around there's plenty of recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and loftylad
So my question is does the S3 have a engine run in period or a set amount of miles you need to get to
Now there's a loaded question. :D
I can answer it in 2 ways....
Yes all new cars should be treated gently from new up till around 1000 miles - no high revs, labouring, long periods of constant throttle.

No running in necessary because all modern engines are factory run in.

Which school of though you subscribe to generally depends on your age and whether you actually own your car.

Regarding GAP.....as Adam said never buy this from a dealer unless you are happy to pay twice as much or more than you need to.

Reactions: NevMan and Adam14
I bought my 4 year GAP insurance from ALA, at a very competitive price. I went for the vehicle replacement plus policy.

I'd argue that's a load of rubbish. I've literally just bought a car that was one of the employees cars, they just hop in to another car. If a deal is to be done they'll sell it.

Agree on this, they will flog employee cars, that is part of what they sign up to in having the cars with Audi

I bought my 4 year GAP insurance from ALA, at a very competitive price. I went for the vehicle replacement plus policy.

+1 on ALA, but many other competitive gap insurers..DO NOT buy from Audi

Reactions: loftylad
Look forward to pictures, I'm getting my S5 tomorrow as well! Definitely get it elsewhere! Mine is with a company called direct gap, think it was £350 for a 4 year policy, to invoice/replacement vehicle if possible. I'm sure if you shop around there's plenty of recommendations.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your S5 to pal . I guess i will do a bit off shopping around for the GAP then .

Last edited:
Reactions: loftylad and Adam14
Hi.
Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel free for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative. Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/
Regards,
Dan.

Yes all new cars should be treated gently from new up till around 1000 miles - no high revs, labouring, long periods of constant throttle.

Which school of though you subscribe to generally depends on your age and whether you actually own your car.

Regarding GAP.....as Adam said never buy this from a dealer unless you are happy to pay twice as much or more than you need to.

I will take it easy for the first 1000 miles then . To be honest i don't drive like an idiot anyway i'am pretty happy just plodding along :nogarors4:

I'am nearly 39 Ron so my boy racing days are well and truly gone :laughing:

Reactions: Ron240

Running in - I take the steady away approach for the first 1000 miles or so. No high revs, no labouring and try to constantly alter throttle (not running in same gear/same speed for any length of time) - certainly no launches! lol

GAP - I use Direct Gap. Return to invoice, 5 year around £350.

Audi price matched an ALA quote for me on gap insurance - I got it for around half price. Worth asking!

Don't say NEVER buy from Audi Guys ...... I have always insisted the Dealer does my GAP for £200 and they have always done it at this price level.

I know they start off at £500 to £600 but I always make sure this is part of the closing deal once I've finished negotiating on the price of the car.

Once you have fully committed to a deal then your hand is a little weaker perhaps - but they can do it at £200 so it is worth asking :icon thumright:

That is true Snake, same with most of the options they try and sell, I always get the tyre and alloy policy as pays for itself. Plus get the dealer to chuck it in for £200

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin

I read something a few years ago. I believe it was from an engineer of a big car manufacturer. It may have been Audi to be fair. The article said, keeping your engine to low revs for the first 1000 miles may actually make your engine perform worse than one driven with mid to high revs. Article said as long as you don't red line the car, brisk and hard acceleration helps bed the pistons etc in, and the engine should produce better power than an engine kept at low revs.

That's how I've always run my cars in ever since reading that. Varying revs with some hard accelerations, but staying clear of the red line. Have got to say, each car I'd owned from then, has always seamed to be very strong power wise.

Might all be a crock of s**t, but nothing bad (touch wood) has ever happened to my car running in this way.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Don't say NEVER buy from Audi Guys ...... I have always insisted the Dealer does my GAP for £200 and they have always done it at this price level.

I know they start off at £500 to £600 but I always make sure this is part of the closing deal once I've finished negotiating on the price of the car.

Once you have fully committed to a deal then your hand is a little weaker perhaps - but they can do it at £200 so it is worth asking :icon thumright:

That is a fair comment, however for me they can never come close for GAP. Agree on other things like getting alloy cover etc thrown in and or reduced

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I read something a few years ago. I believe it was from an engineer of a big car manufacturer. It may have been Audi to be fair. The article said, keeping your engine to low revs for the first 1000 miles may actually make your engine perform worse than one driven with mid to high revs. Article said as long as you don't red line the car, brisk and hard acceleration helps bed the pistons etc in, and the engine should produce better power than an engine kept at low revs.

That's how I've always run my cars in ever since reading that. Varying revs with some hard accelerations, but staying clear of the red line. Have got to say, each car I'd owned from then, has always seamed to be very strong power wise.

Might all be a crock of s**t, but nothing bad (touch wood) has ever happened to my car running in this way.

I like this 'more fun' option, I've started giving mine a little more stick and it seems to have livened up a bit. When I asked the question to the sales man he just said "Nahhh, you can have fun from the off"

I thought that in these new cars the ECU manages all that nonsense, reigns in the throttle response and boost and all that sort of shinanigans and the engines go through a running in process prior to going in the car?

Like the other fella up there says, don't own the car so any future problems caused by my heavy foot, aren't my problems....

When I asked the question to the sales man he just said "Nahhh, you can have fun from the off

any future problems caused by my heavy foot, aren't my problems....
He would say that. :D
Salesmen cannot be trusted to advise on matters like this. It gives an insight into how their brand new company cars are likely to be driven though. ;)

Yes this seems to be the prevailing attitude of the PCP generation. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: loftylad
That is a fair comment, however for me they can never come close for GAP. Agree on other things like getting alloy cover etc thrown in and or reduced

They made the (mistake) of giving me GAP for £200 to begin with so now I strong arm them into making sure it is always that for each new car I get from them. For me that is a good price and saves me shopping around. I don't think the Dealer particularly likes honouring a price dating back to 2011 but as I throw it in at the very end of order negotiations, they never question it for the sake of closing the deal :icon thumright:

Reactions: Ron240
We collected the S3 today and have done around 25 miles this evening were really happy with it so far i will post some pictures of when we collected it with a massive red bow on it :grinning: . A couple of things i noticed is lights in the foot well only come on when i turn the car off ? but the A3 i have just traded had them on all the time . Also the lights in the cup holder haven't come on at all ? Can any one help

Reactions: loftylad, listers_socks, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
We collected the S3 today and have done around 25 miles this evening were really happy with it so far i will post some pictures of when we collected it with a massive red bow on it :grinning: . A couple of things i noticed is lights in the foot well only come on when i turn the car off ? but the A3 i have just traded had them on all the time . Also the lights in the cup holder haven't come on at all ? Can any one help
You have to change them in the settings. If memory serves me well, select menu beside the rotary control, on the MMI screen select vehicle settings, it will show all the driving modes, click left button beside the rotary controller, you should see interior lights then set them to what you want.

You have to change them in the settings. If memory serves me well, select menu beside the rotary control, on the MMI screen select vehicle settings, it will show all the driving modes, click left button beside the rotary controller, you should see interior lights then set them to what you want.

There doesn't seem to be any settings for interior light ? :wtf:

There doesn't seem to be any settings for interior light ? :wtf:
Click menu, then scroll to and click on car, click the button to the left of the rotary dial, select vehicle settings. Should be an option in there to do with interior lighting.

Reactions: Jcbmally
Anyone fancy a GTI Performance:

Upload 2019 3 14 15 51 14

20190315 174120 800x589 20190313 165852 800x600 20190313 173033 800x600 20190315 174220 800x540 20190313 173052 800x600 20190315 174151 800x640

As promised pictures of our new S3

Reactions: Mythos, listers_socks, wab172uk and 9 others
Very nice mate, nice colour and love the design pack

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Mr Freeze
Looks ace that! Perfect colour choice too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Looks ace that! Perfect colour choice too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Thanks mate . Yeah really enjoying it and i guess it will get even better with a few thousand miles on the clock .

Also thanks again for your instructions on how to sort out the interior lights you were spot on .

Reactions: Adam14 and NevMan