Airbag Fault - S3 2000

JDJ23

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was looking forward to write up this thread. I got my 2000 S3 seven months ago and I've been having since then an annoying airbag light, but I didn't pay enough attention to it until today. The previous owner stated that it appeared after a full interior detailing, so I assumed that it was a cable unplugged from the seat.

As far as I've read, most 8Ls (and a couple of other Audi models) use sixth, seventh and eight airbag generations that are prone to this fault, as they share a commonly fragile central module (located behind the central console). The system works well for a couple of years, but due to adverse situations such as low supply voltage or faulty sensors, the module locks up and stops working.

So, if you scan your car and get this fault:

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 8L0-959-655-AI8.lbl
Part No: 8L0 959 655 H
Component: Airbag Front+Kopf 2008
Coding: 00304
Shop #: WSC 06435

1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-10 - - - Intermittent

Please be aware that all your SRS (supplementary restraint systems) may be inoperative. This includes airbags and seatbelt tensioners. You can find more info regarding this fault HERE

The main airbag module uses an EEPROM type memory which is read only. For this reason, the 65535 fault cannot be erased using VCDS (it's similar to a crash fault). Only specific tools/software can clear the memory and get rid of this fault. As long as you have this fault, you've got a fully bricked airbag system.

So, if you're standing at this point (just like me) there are two possible paths to follow:

1. Get your unit "fixed". I've seen on eBay lots of people offering to clear the EEPROM, but there is no assurance that the system will work properly in case of an accident.

2. Get a new unit.

Number one was a no-go for me, there are no such tools here for fixing the module, so number two was the only way to go... but... the module 8L0 959 655 H was discontinued... 18 years ago.

So yes, no replacement but no fix either... and there is a "trick" with this module and the part number. On other parts, the last letter means revisions, the closer to Z, the newer the revision, but in this module:

8L0..... 959 H and M apparently control front, side and curtain airbags (as the ones in the S3)
8L0.... 959 G and L just control front / front+ side airbags
... and so on with other 10 revisions.

I was about to order the last revision I found, but then I discovered that it wasn't compatible with every airbag setup.. I'll be giving an M revision and a G revision the chance

I'll keep you posted!

Hi
how are you getting on with the central module issue. I have the same on my A3 2002 TDI Quattro. Been stood for a few years and not the Air bag light is on. My biggest issue now is I can not find the module, take the center console around the hand break and can see it there. where did you find it on your S3?

Thanks
Ian

Some people have bought aftermarket airbag fault reset tools, which can clear the 65535 fault codes, when VCDS, VAGCOM, ODB11 couldn't clear the faults