USB AMI Lead - Stupid Question

Chrismawa

Reaction score
I've just bought the Audi AMI Usb lead which I'm presuming will allow me to use a USB stick instead of the iPod dock I have in the glove box. Stupid question but where does this lead plug into? Back of the headunit? Into the iPod connector? Somewhere else?

Ipodusb

I believe it should replace the lead that goes to the iPod dock from the ami unit. This unit then has a lead that connects to the harness/hu

Thanks mate. So I just need to remove the dock and it'll go behind there? Looks like just 2 screws holding it in

I think so. The dock should plug into an interface in the glove box

I think you'll have to pull the head unit mate, I'm going to swap my iPod dock for a usb Ami interface too, just ordered mine

I think you'll have to pull the head unit mate, I'm going to swap my iPod dock for a usb Ami interface too, just ordered mine

Think you're right mate as i pulled the dock out and the wire disappears up into the depths of the dash. So its either remove glovebox or take out headunit. Im surprised with the lack of info on the net about installing this cable.

Yeah I'm about to try this too. I reckon pull the hu and see if you can fish the new cable to the hole left by the iPod dock faceplate, rather than take the glove box out. If you can get behind the stereo then you can tape the head of the new cable to the AMI plug from the iPod at the stereo end and use it to pull the new one thru to the hole where the screws are, the only shame is the AMI usb cables are short...

I've just bought the Audi AMI Usb lead which I'm presuming will allow me to use a USB stick instead of the iPod dock I have in the glove box. Stupid question but where does this lead plug into? Back of the headunit? Into the iPod connector? Somewhere else?

View attachment 174370

@ScottyP45 - No you don't pull the head unit, there is no plug specifically for this cable.

The cable @Chrismawa has purchased will plug into the AMI unit in the glove-box. If there is no unit then you don't have the Audi Music Interface.

Reactions: Chrismawa
Cheers, So if we both have the iPod dock in the glove box upper slot then we already have the Audi Music Interface? So the glove box needs to come out then

Haha nice one. What a caper just to get music off the phone. Aux would be ok if it wasnt so far back from the stereo and it annoys me to have to plug in 2 cables to get music and charge when one would do

So if we both have the iPod integration and it pretends to be a CD changer, is there a Bluetooth adaptor or a usb adaptor that can be connected in it's place instead of the iPod dock socket? (Sorry to hijack the thread Op but I think your really looking for the same outcome as me)

Looks like its going to have to be something like that then mate. Can't believe Audi was so stingy with tech in 2010 - no usb and no audi streaming on the OEM bluetooth....

Yeah I guess everyone has an iPhone or an iPod (not)....in their eyes at least. I prefer my Android gear, would be nice to have had a choice but at least the link above answers the cable / socket / dock question and shows only the dock main housing needs to come out, not the whole glovebox or stereo. I have to pull my HU anyway as I have to strip out a Parrot system that came with the car. It would be ok, but the remote is missing and Parrot no longer support the system as they've moved onto making Drones....sign of the times eh

There is a BT option for music that works by plugging into the iPod dock which is about £60 it's called Tune2Air or BoVee unit at £100 but thats a bit pricey for what it does. Nice solutions though just plug and play.

I'm still considering an Android head unit for the car and store the original until I eventually change the car, Xtrons are nice but a bit expensive though there are chinese clones around for not a lot of cash. Its a shame the RMT 300 VW unit doesnt fit, it has everything you would want and looks lovely for around £100 however its a slightly different shape to the unique A3 unit.

For any solution you find on ebay etc, just remember now its a changer interface connection you want, or an emulator. AMI or MMI ones as others have said, are no use. Unless you find an AMI unit cheap on t'ebay

Here - just found this BT one, looks perfect and £35 as we should both have the quadlock Aux socket for a changer on the rear of the HU: (The HU socket at the other end of the cable that the iPod dock connector is plugged into)

Clicky

This the Bovee one youre referring to? Amazon product

Like you say a little pricey but it is just simply plug and play...

Yeah I've just come aross the one you're linking to in your past post - seems spot on for the price! Just need to make sure my HU is a quadlock.

I thought about upgrading the HU to an RNS-e or an aftermarket - but one of these devices will simply do for what I need.

Just seen its not simple plug and play as you'd need a power feed and earth. The bovee although more expensive is more attractive for its plug and play approach no ******* about haha

Last edited:
Yeah, I plan to pull my HU and see what's on the other end of the main cable that goes to the ipod dock faceplate, as it plugs into a cd changer cable and that one should, I expect, end in a quadlock on the back of the stereo.

Mine is a Concert 3, if you have a dedicated Aux function with the jack socket then you should be the same connectors. I have BT for phone, Aux, iPod, CD, phone prep kit in armrest and shark fin antenna but the phone and shark fin dont matter in the greater issue here I dont think. Pretty sure now that our stereos are the same at the back panel

Yeah I have Aux by the handbrake, BT phone and iPod in the Glovebox. So sounds like it should be a similar setup.

Watch this video, its all in foreign language but importantly shows the quadlock and changer plug really well. You get the gist of what he is saying anyway without understanding it all. This is for a streaming interface costing 75 euros but the principle is the same what ever you choose. Good video on the quadlock / changer plug connection.

Clicky

I think I'm going to get the Connects2 one for £35 you linked above. Seems the most discreet and functional for the price.

Here, now your talking! I have tried every ****** phone mount imaginable and they were all rubbish. My S8 is too heavy to stick on mag discs and the metal part interferes with my wireless charger stand at home. That swivel clearmount which clips in to the centre vents looks perfect. Gonna gt me one of them.

I got the flat magnetic mount and it works a treat. Hoo heavy is your S8!? The magnet holds my P20 Pro no problem. The magnet is pretty strong.

Put some photos up to save everyone guessing...

If you have iPod connector then it’s not Audi Music Interface.

If you have the AUX plug what exactly are you looking to do?

Put some photos up to save everyone guessing...

If you have iPod connector then it’s not Audi Music Interface.

If you have the AUX plug what exactly are you looking to do?

We both know that, looks like this is the best option (linked to in the posts above already if you read through) it fits the quadlock in place of the ipod cable:

Click Here

Fitted the Connects2 Bluetooth adapter yesterday. Works really well and gives basic bluetooth audio to the standard Concert headunit.

Brilliant. I'm going to get one too now I've got the clearmount fitted. I hate BT adaptors you have to switch on, that's why I wanted something like this.

Aye its brilliant mate. Phone connects to this and the OEM bluetooth for calls automatically. For £35 its brilliant.

Where did you splice the power into mate? Are the leads long enough to go to the fuse panel with a piggyback or did you splice into the stereo power?