Calling all 2.0 tfsi owners...

jewski1984

Reaction score
Evening all, newcomer here so be gentle!

Currently driving an A3 Sportback 1.8tfsi, looking at purchasing an A4 Dynamik 2.0 tfsi. Bit apprehensive due to the well documented oil consumption issue. Just wondering how many of you have had this issue occur or know of anyone who has? The car I'm buying has only had 4 services in 50000 miles which is another sticking point.

With hindsight being a wonderful thing, would any of you in the same position buy knowing this? It's from a reputable dealer.

Also, if any of you had had this issue and have had to get the engine rebuilt, what price were you quoted? I believe the fix was new piston rings. I doubt Audi would cover any costs for me if I do purchase it due to the lack of service history.

Cheers all

What year is the vehicle your thinking of buying ? Only asking because from 2012 Audi sorted the issues regarding the oil consumption.

My A5 has the CNCD 2.0 TFSI engine but because it’s a 2014 MY it uses no oil between services.
Personally if it was me I would hold out for a later model if you can afford to do so.
You can check the service history with Audi and ask of the engine fix has been carried out if not would it be covered for peace of mind as 4 services over 50k is only 12.5k miles between them if done regularly.

Reactions: CHEZ
Personally, like said above I would hold out for a 2012 or newer model or a car that you know has had the repair done for definite.
It is a long stressful procedure getting the repair done, plus a financial one if you can't get the remedial work carried out for free or heavily discounted.
You are in a great position because you have the knowledge of the predicament regarding these engines produced between 2009 and 2011, possibly into early 2012 in the A4, A5 and Q5.
Use this knowledge to your advantage and good luck.

Reactions: Dadar
Hi
Personally, like said above I would hold out for a 2012 or newer model or a car that you know has had the repair done for definite.
It is a long stressful procedure getting the repair done, plus a financial one if you can't get the remedial work carried out for free or heavily discounted.
You are in a great position because you have the knowledge of the predicament regarding these engines produced between 2009 and 2011, possibly into early 2012 in the A4, A5 and Q5.
Use this knowledge to your advantage and good luck.

Cheers for the advice. Would you recommend then a 62 plate onwards then?

50k miles between oil changes aswell? Cause oil change intervals are like 15 000 km (9375 miles) and main service intervals are 30 000 km (18 750 miles) here in Norway. I think more than 15 000 km’s between oil changes is way too much and prefer to keep it to about 6000 miles (10 000km) for peace of mind. On turbo petrol engines you’d rather change one time too many

50k miles between oil changes aswell? Cause oil change intervals are like 15 000 km (9375 miles) and main service intervals are 30 000 km (18 750 miles) here in Norway. I think more than 15 000 km’s between oil changes is way too much and prefer to keep it to about 6000 miles (10 000km) for peace of mind. On turbo petrol engines you’d rather change one time too many

No, it has had 4 services and has done 50000 miles. So averages out as 12500 miles from service to service.

The newer engine are far better They don't get carbon choked up behind the inlet valve either as they have 2 sets of injectors 1 behind the inlet for low revs and 1 direct for higher revs so it self cleans

The newer engine are far better They don't get carbon choked up behind the inlet valve either as they have 2 sets of injectors 1 behind the inlet for low revs and 1 direct for higher revs so it self cleans
Not always true. Depends if it got the gen3 engine or gen2. My 2013 B8.5 got the gen2. 2014-2016 I believe have gen3's here in Europe.

No, it has had 4 services and has done 50000 miles. So averages out as 12500 miles from service to service.
I'd be worried.

Also make sure timing chain tensioner has been replaced if it's a 2011. Ticking bombs, especially on that mileage if it hasn't been done. If the revised version is installed it should be fine though.

On a sidenote, my B8.5 chain has stretched alot on only about 60 000 miles on the engine. Phase position adaption on the intake shows 6.7 degrees adaption which is a lot and means I should probably replace my chain.

TL;DR
2.0 tfsi engines are awesome when the engine-killing traps have been dealt with and replaced with revised parts. Awesome torque-curve and powerband.