Looking to buy

Gress Triple

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to buy either a Quattro 2.0L TFSI A3 8P or BMW 325i 2.5L. I'll probably end up test driving both to see how they feel, but I think I'd prefer an A3 due to the AWD and the looks with a black edition grill is :thumbs up:. Could anyone give me some tips when looking to buy, please? Are there any specific things I should be looking for that tend to fail on the TFSI models?

Thanks in advance. :heart:

Last edited:
On the Quattro listen for any whine from the drivetrain. Also check that it has had an oil/filter change if dine more than 40k. Same applies if you test a dsg regarding changes. Also make sure that the dsg goes through all the gears smoothly in all modes.

abmat is referring to the haldex oil and filter change which is at the rear end of the prop shaft. A3 are usually in fwd until the front wheels start to slip, then the haldex coupling engages the awd system. If you live in snow and ice territory the a3 is going to be useable every day of the year unlike a rwd BMW.
Don’t limit your search to a Black model, there’s won’t be much of a choice of TFSI, Quattro and DSG combination for sale. There was only two for sale in the country when I looked for mine in my budget.
Post 2008 TFSI’s are chain driven and the common problem is the chain tensioner failing so listen out for chain rattle, they can also fail without warning.
Check the rest of the car as you would any other.
Good luck with your search.

Reactions: abmat
Newer BM’s also have AWD in the X Drive versions so have a look if they fall within you budget.

Thanks for the replies, will look out for that stuff. I've tried finding info on how good the haldex system works in reality, like videos and stuff, but there really isn't much to go off. If any of you have A3 with 'quattro', could you give me some idea of how well it works in relation to a real awd? The earlier models like the gen4 apparently aren't up to scratch.

Thanks in advance again!

The S3 8P runs a Gen 4 haldex unit and works perfectly fine , it's the person who drives the car that can cause the problems with the car IE Trashing motor , cheap parts used or just poor maintance .

Works well on mine as well, any hint of front wheel slip and the Haldex coupling switches the rear diff on. You can feel it operating as well.
I did have an S4 before the current A3 and grip is on par with both cars but the general consensus favours the Torsen (permanent 4WD) system overall.