??Purchase S3 - Past Cat S

matt greenwod

Reaction score
I am sure I know the answer to this but from my Elise Exige background the general rule was dont touch anything with chassis damage.

How does the S3 stand up to injury. looking at a 18m old car that has all the features I would want but has had rear side accident resulting in Cat S

My gut says 40k car write off as cat S = pretty major damage.

Whats the view on how well these cars cope are there any weak points to inspect/have inspected. is the chassis modular and easy to have repaired back to as new ?

i bought a cat d - non structural a3 and fixed it. i would be reluctant to buy a cat c especially if you dont know the repair history. It might pass the examination but could still be out enough to affect tyre wear or handling at the rear. the difficulty in getting it insured can also be a problem.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it.

However, if it's something you're comfortable with and it can be repaired correctly, then why not. However, how much will it cost to be both structurally and cosmetically sound? Factor in that if you come to sell, the sale price will need to reflect it was damaged. Your market will be very limited, and you could be stuck with the car. You could be throwing your money away.

Would it not be better to buy an older S3, run it for a few years, then sell it on for something else?

Reactions: S32B
This^^^

I'd always be worried about how safe it would be in another accident (God forbid) but this time me and my family/friends would be in it! I think if you did go for it, be prepared to run it into the ground as I'd assume it would be hard to sell on.