Cluster issue clock and mileage

Juniorakos

Reaction score
hello , i have some issue with my cluster , clock and mileage not shows..has red backlight but not showing anything..sometimes it comes back and works great..some times show some weird letter numbers..then blank with red backlight..i have open the cluster check the connectors seems good..any idea ?

Attachments

• audi clock and mileage.jpg
    audi clock and mileage.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 231
I can’t remember where the odometer gets its numbers from. They could come directly from the wheels to the instrument cluster or possibly via the ECU (I don’t have my Bentley bible with me so can’t help for now).

Considering that those displays give all or nothing(?), I would guess that it’s a cabling/connector issue. Possibly some moisture causing a short.....or a dry joint, etc. Either that or the electronics controlling both the displays are on their way out.

Do you ever get the clock/date displaying ok but not the odometer/trip (or vice versa)? Is it always all or nothing for both displays?

Paul

I can’t remember where the odometer gets its numbers from. They could come directly from the wheels to the instrument cluster or possibly via the ECU (I don’t have my Bentley bible with me so can’t help for now).

Considering that those displays give all or nothing(?), I would guess that it’s a cabling/connector issue. Possibly some moisture causing a short.....or a dry joint, etc. Either that or the electronics controlling both the displays are on their way out.

Do you ever get the clock/date displaying ok but not the odometer/trip (or vice versa)? Is it always all or nothing for both displays?

Paul
hello , both always all or nothing , i didnt had this problem on summer..probably some issue with rainy days ? :/

after 1-2days it comes back itself..even when i open and clear contacts still was red background..but after 2 days it comes back..now again after rainy day speedometer stack on 5-10km..even driving still stack there..probably it will be fixed again by itself(cause i had same issue with speedometer and fixed byitself) anyone has fix for this ? its probably by moisture

If you can get to the connectors, you could spray some WD40 into the plug/contacts. If it is moisture getting in then I would’ve thought that you’d be getting issues elsewhere.

Another angle to look at could be temperature - if you’ve got a break in a cable somewhere in that circuit, then it could be making/breaking as it contracts/expands? Could you monitor for temperature & see if the defect corresponds with a high/low temp. Possibly a loose pin & vibration or road bumps are causing it to go off & on.

Yeah, I’m clutching at straws here but trying to give you options to identify an external cause & narrow down when it happens. A bit of a long & painful exercise but you could start logging environmentals for when it happens. Could be none of the above & maybe the module is on its way out but doesn’t sound likely when it works for 2-3 days at a time.