Cold start Audi a3 8p 1.9TDI

Arsi

Reaction score
Hi guys, with the temperature drops, I happened to occur the following problem. If the temperature is lower than 5 degrees, the car will not start properly. If the start is successful, for about 20-30 seconds, when you press the gas pedal, nothing happens. RPMs stay at like 600-700 and slowly go up to 1000 and once its at 1000, you can press the gas pedal and the car would function normally. I've uploaded a video of the problem, you can see the rpms at like 700 and slowly going up. I've changed the filters, also one of the glow plugs, it was faulty.

Forgot to add, the RPMs of the car in the video are better than most cases, it usually starts at like 600, and you have to wait 30 seconds to go up to 1000. What could the problem me?

You still have the coil light flashing. Mine goes out totally, then I start it no throttle

You still have the coil light flashing. Mine goes out totally, then I start it no throttle

Thats about the stop machine, I think thats how its called. Occurs from time to time when I press the brake a few times in a row. Thats what I was told by a person who ran a check on the car.

When the amber "coil light" flashes on these diesels (when the engine is running) it denotes a fault in the engine management system. I strongly suspect this is the cause of your problem, you may for example, have a sensor which is failing. You need to focus on the cause of this and get any error codes fully explored. I have not heard the term "stop machine" before?

Reactions: Arsi and ch1z64
When the amber "coil light" flashes on these diesels (when the engine is running) it denotes a fault in the engine management system. I strongly suspect this is the cause of your problem, you may for example, have a sensor which is failing. You need to focus on the cause of this and get any error codes fully explored. I have not heard the term "stop machine" before?
Thanks, I will make sure I check the coil light in the next a few days, and uh, the term stop machine is kinda strange, thats basically the thing that controlls your stop lights.

Is it possible to be related to the map sensor, as I had a problem with it a month ago, and upon visiting a service centre, they cleaned it abit and it was fine.

You could spend hundreds gambling on sensors and parts and eventually cure the issue, or get a scan done and pinpoint the problem.

You could spend hundreds gambling on sensors and parts and eventually cure the issue, or get a scan done and pinpoint the problem.
I will have it scanned today/tomorrow and post here with the issue.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I've just had the car scanned. Nothing came out, just some error with the brake light switch and the 2th glow plug, both of them were cleared.(the glow plug has been replaced a few days ago and the error was not cleared before. ) Nothing came up, so I am open for suggestions, what should I have checked?

Was it scanned using VCDS or a generic code reader?
Ive checked what the interface of the VCDS look like and from what i saw, i didnt look like that. It was on white background, red borders and black font text, using a table to run it, i dont know how is it called. Also, i wonder, could the problem be bad fuel. For last 3-4 refills, ive used one fuel station, is it possible the problem to be caused by bad fuel?

You can could get the fuel filter changed and use a different station if you think that could be the issue, it can happen.
Personally I would get it scanned by a correct VAG approved fault scanner as they pick up codes other readers can miss.
If the one you used isn't able to detect all VAG fault codes, you are wasting time and money on it as it may miss something important or point you in the wrong direction.

You can could get the fuel filter changed and use a different station if you think that could be the issue, it can happen.
Personally I would get it scanned by a correct VAG approved fault scanner as they pick up codes other readers can miss.
If the one you used isn't able to detect all VAG fault codes, you are wasting time and money on it as it may miss something important or point you in the wrong direction.
I had the fuel filter replaced yesterday, it didnt seem to be very "dirty", unfortunately, I have still half my fuel tank and gonna use it before changing the station, i will see. Tomorrow, I will re-visit this guy and ask him about the VAG scaner, probably I will go to another service to have it scanned.

After many many checks, we couldnt find the problem. Is it possible for that to be some sort of a prevention to rev the engine whilst it is still cold, and in 30-40 seconds this prevention to be lifted off?

Just to clarify, there is no such thing. Problem is still occuring, will reply with updates.