2.0 tdi S-line Quattro misfire

Atcrider

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping to you guys can help me out a bit.
I've got a 2007 a4 2.0 tdi (170 BRD engine) with around 170000 miles on the clock which seems to have somewhat of an intermittent misfire. I doesn t always do it, and when it's right up to running temperature it's fine. There's no engine management lights and no limp mode, it just 'coughs' every few seconds when idling. No codes come up with my scanner, I'm hoping to het it on vcds at the weekend but would like some pointers on where I should be looking? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Mine's the same, runs rough when cold.Digging around it seems that if you get your cam timing adjusted and egr mapped out it will fix it.
I think , but I could be wrong, the egr only functions before the engine reaches normal running temperature.

Mine does that too (BUL engine) - but all the time, not just when cold. Almost imperceptible (but it annoys me) - like it 'misses a beat' randomly when idling. No evidence of a misfire anywhere else in normal (or spirited) driving. Maybe one of those things that just has to be lived with...... :grumpy:

Thanks for the replies I've continued to search this, I've found a fair bit about injector seals & bolts and also the tandem pump seal.
I guess my biggest fear is if it's an injector going down and the damage it can do. I've not had it on vcds yet, been let down on that by the looks.
It's just a bit of a nuisance as I'm sure as it coughs it's loading the dpf up quite rapidly. I'll report back with any more findings

I'm unsure of when the timing belt was last done, so it's one of my jobs 'to do' during Christmas time off.
Funnily enough I was going to post about this before your reply, I've got myself up to speed a little on these PD engines, and managed to get the 'torsion value' checked, which is currently reading -2.26 so although I haven't had time to rectify this yet, hopefully it's an easy fix

It’s not to hard to do it’s easier with vcds to hand so you can adjust properly but I managed to do mine without, it’s weird mine was a full tooth out but still ran ok, but it runs miles better now it’s within the tolerances make sure you use a proper Audi/vag timing tool for it I used some old bolts that wasn’t quite thick enough but managed to get it right haha
I could only find one place that was willing to do it and they was all the way in Bristol Avon tuning

Actually found time to sort this out today.
Reading the torsion value using obdeleven it said 2.26° so I adjusted it the way I thought it should be, and it went to 5.99° oops
Few more tweaks and I managed to get it onto zero. Drives like a new car now, idles really smooth, less laggy.
Will have to wait till tomorrow to see what cold starting is like