Low oil warning light!

Robin Chandler

Reaction score
A bit of guidance that might help others.

So, I've been plagued with the low oil light coming on for some time now.
The oil pressure light came on at the beginning of my problems. I've dropped the sump 4 times, cleaned the pick up pipe and had the oil fushed with one of the special EDT oil flush machines. See one of my older threads.
Also changed the front breathers.
At first I was getting the oil flush done every 3 to 4 months. I was getting some hard carbon type bits in the filter and during the flush.
After a year of this keep happening I was thinking on the lines of replacing the rest of the breather pipes at the back of the engine.
Coupe of weeks ago the low oil light came on again so off too the garage I went to get another EDT engine flush done. Whilst on the ramp the mechanic noticed I had an oil leak from the oil cooler. Also the flush didn't remove the oil low warning light.
I booked it in to get the oil cooler gaskets done, check all breather pipes and put a revised pick up pipe put on (the one with the valve on it).
Got a call the next day from the garage, the oil filter housing where the front breather goes into was nearly blocked solid with bits of carbon! Couldn't get half the bits out because the were so compact!
I have had that replaced, sump and pickup pipe cleaned (the revised pick up does does not fit the A3, it's for the A4 only).
I'm hoping that I have finally sorted the problem.
I will get another EDT clean done in a few months and check the filter.
So £650 down I have got a little bit of confidence back that I'm not going to seize the engine and can enjoy it more without worrying about turning the engine off quickly on a motorway!
Hopefully this will help someone with similar problems.

Reactions: leonwilliams