Stuck calliper anyone?

HertS3

Reaction score
this morning my S3 started making a loud grating noise. When I got to work a colleague had a look and said it sounds like nearside rear calliper might be stuck. My mechanic friend said apparently this happens to Audis a lot so I wondered if anyone had this issue before and how they fixed it. Car was towed to my friend’s garage and he’ll look at it tomorrow.
Only had the car 6 weeks and it’s been in the garage for over 2 weeks (in total) so far!!

You would need to get a vice to push the pistons back in, not sure how many there are on an S3 but there'll be one that's sticking on

If it’s the rear calliper then don’t wind it back like a normal calliper. There’s a method you can use in vcds or other diag tools to it winds back electronically. If it doesn’t wind back then most likely the motor is burnt or it was damaged when pads were changed.
After changing pads there’s like a calibration routine so the module knows how much to wind to lock the wheels.
Seen so many of these calipers get damaged by idiots trying to replace pads by trying wind the pistons back the wrong way.

The Gods are shining on me - turns out it was a big-ish stone stuck between pad and disc, luckily I got it towed so both are not damaged!

Reactions: KenL, Audi Bairn, Invicta and 1 other person
If it’s the rear calliper then don’t wind it back like a normal calliper. There’s a method you can use in vcds or other diag tools to it winds back electronically. If it doesn’t wind back then most likely the motor is burnt or it was damaged when pads were changed.
After changing pads there’s like a calibration routine so the module knows how much to wind to lock the wheels.
Seen so many of these calipers get damaged by idiots trying to replace pads by trying wind the pistons back the wrong way.
Ah yes of course with it having an electronic handbrake

The Gods are shining on me - turns out it was a big-ish stone stuck between pad and disc, luckily I got it towed so both are not damaged!
lucky you!

Thankfully you’ve solved the issue, but this was a problem on the PFL & FL A5 & S5 I had. Stones or grit used to get stuck behind the guard in behind the front discs. Would make a horrendous noise. Sometimes resolved by briefly reversing and thankfully didn’t ever do any damage in my case.

That that IS common.

Never had a sticking brake calliper though, so not sure exactly how common that is meant to be.

That that IS common.

Never had a sticking brake calliper though, so not sure exactly how common that is meant to be.

I had a sticky caliper on my first a6. The auto handbrake wasn’t releasing properly and ruined the disc in like 12k.
Most of the time is dirt and grit gets into the seals and buggers the calliper.

I re-built my front callipers as the piston had twisted when I pushed them back doing my new brake set up all fine now.