Rear Tailgate Lock and Vacuum pump question...

s4best4

Reaction score
Hi there

Just after a bit of advice on the tailgate lock of my B5 S4 F/L. The tailgate doesn't lock when the rest of the car is locked. The touch catches work fine and are not re-opening the tailgate as can happen, but the tailgate doesn't lock anymore... also when remote locking, the Vacuum pump can be heard over running for 10 secs or so (which suggests a leak). My main question is, does the Vacuum pump also operate the tailgate lock, or are these two separate problems.

Many thanks in advance .

If you have a set of trim tools it isn’t too hard to get to the avant tailgate lock and observe what is happening. Yes I think the pump works them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the tailgate on a facelift car doesnt have a lock.

It has an electric pop, and the locking pump simply ignores the pads when the car is locked.

The key barrel directly actuates the mechanism to open the latch.

What exactly do you mean by it not locking?

Sorry I missed it was a facelift. Mines a 1998.

Here are trim tools

KING SHOWDEN 19Pcs Car Trim Removal Tools Kit Auto Panel Removal Tool Set Car Dash Door Window Molding Upholstery Audio Radio Fastener Clip Removal Installer Repair Nylon Pry Tool Kits Amazon product

the tailgate on a facelift car doesnt have a lock.

It has an electric pop, and the locking pump simply ignores the pads when the car is locked.

The key barrel directly actuates the mechanism to open the latch.

What exactly do you mean by it not locking?

Thanks for all your replies.

When I lock the car with the fob, the doors lock. If i go to the Tailgate however, I am able to operate the micro switches, meaning the boot can never be locked...The car is a 1999 F\L so maybe it is like a pre facelift( Analogue clock but hidden washer jets etc)? Tailgate has a lock, although i've never been able to manually lock it in all the years I've had it!
Kev, you say it has a locking pump which ignores the pads, so I wonder if its the pump is faulty all along?

If the pump is faulty you won’t get any of the locks working. Scan with vcds on 35-central locks might give you a clue “ excessive runtime-possible leak” for the pump. You can normally see the plastic pneumatic pipes on a salloon. On an avant they’re probably in a rubber gaiter. Check for leaks. Specifically between the tailgate and the body of the car. And keep spraying wd40 into the boot lock and try to work it free.

If the pump is faulty you won’t get any of the locks working. Scan with vcds on 35-central locks might give you a clue “ excessive runtime-possible leak” for the pump. You can normally see the plastic pneumatic pipes on a salloon. On an avant they’re probably in a rubber gaiter. Check for leaks. Specifically between the tailgate and the body of the car. And keep spraying wd40 into the boot lock and try to work it free.

Great thanks Matt.
Yes if the tailgate lock worked I’d be fine!

Thanks again

The tailgate DOESNT lock. Take it apart and look at the mechanism. There is no lock. The ECU simply ignores the touch pads when the car is locked.

There must be a fault within the central locking controller.