After advise on a relatively high mileage S3..

SideShowBob

Reaction score
Hi all
I have always liked the S3, and they're now coming into the price range I want to spend on a car.
Only trouble is, most of the examples I am looking at have relatively high mileages, so I wanted to find out what owners of 60k plus S3's advise would be when looking at one, or whether its even worth getting one at this mileage?

Ive seen one I really like, this one here: http://tinyurl.com/z21j , but I dont want to get an S3 if they are starting to show problems at this mileage, or require expensive work to be done (camblet etc???)

Also, how do the '99 ones hold out with regards rattles, interior, and paintwork? is the quality as legendary as ive heard?

What sort of mileage would you expect out of an S3? I imagine with a turbo and high BHP, the engine is under more stress than a regular one, and also, is servicing substancially more than for A3's etc?

Okay, think that is about all!! phew!! I have a Clio Cup which I bought new, but I still yearn for the class and quality that the S3 would hopefully offer, plus the extra performace and 4WD. Two more things (sorry!!), is the '99 significantly different to the later models? and the ultimate question, would it be worth saving my money and waiting until I have enough for a later model, with less mileage?

Cheers
Graham

Hi Graham,

Regular things needs done as you say, like cambelt etc. As the miles get on you might be looking at suspension components (shocks/dampers/arms) and such like. However, that may be no bad thing if your planning on modding the car a little, since your not replacing nearly new parts.

Engine wise, everything I've heard indicates they are good for about 200K+ as standard.

For squeaks/rattles/quality, it may not be legendery, but it's damn good. It's one of the reasons I went from a Xsara to an A4 then to the S3.

Although I've only had the S3 a year, the most significant extra expense is tyre wear. You'll be lucky to get 20K out of 4 tyres. Still, you won't care about that when all 4 are propelling you off the lights and round bends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sure other folks will be happy to give you their opinion and views on their cars.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My car has done over 100k miles and was re-mapped within the first month of it being registered. It's still running like new and i've never had a problem with it apart from the water pump which is common. These engines are built to last as long as you maintain them.

My S3's done just short of 60k, with no major problems (touch wood). Just the usual servicing.

Hiten 100k and modded from new, thats good to know.
Mines been chipped for about 15k now and never skips a beat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You must have had the clutch changed surely?

Ditto the S3 is lovely, on my second S3 and loving it.

I had a MY00 210hp unmodded and that went up to 40k no troubles, Dans3 on here now owns it and he's done 65K (i think) in it and it's modded now. I now have a MY02 225hp and thats done 50k no sweat, also I will be buying it off the company so will become a high miler, however doesn't bother me as the car is very well built, pratical, fast, luxurious, sexy and the ******. The only one to look out for is the 80K change as that is the biggum and can cost 700+ I hear.

Otherwise, I have to agree with Mark R on the tyres at nighon £100 a shoe it can get quite expensive.

Good luck SideShowBob

Well mines only a 150 TS but I'll hit 100k this week and other than the water pump (yeah another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) and having the cambelt done earlier in the year no problems (that's jinxed it I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Obviously the S3 is quite a bit more stressed with the extra power and boost but as mine now feels no different to when I bought it with 50k I think you should be fine so long as you've got the service history to go with it.

Get the cambelt and water pump done as soon as you can (or before picking it up if possible). And then just enjoy the fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Had mine 6 months now. It's a 99 (V plate) and had 90,000 miles when I bought it. It was a bit of a bargain. A mate of mine (audi mechanic) reckons as long as they've got a full service history they're pretty much bullet proof, The only problem I've had with mine is a rear wiper that I couldn't turn off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif. According to audi I wasn't the first and therefore won't be the last! No rattles or squeeks yet and still runs like a dream. You won't be disappointed if you get one. I wasn't!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
GBH

My beast has just turned got to the 70k mark. Its still as good as new. Just waiting to get the chip added.

My S3 is a 2000X with 56K miles on the clock. Absolutely no problems with the mechanics so far, just a couple of rattles that were fixed under warranty.

Cars of 2000 or earlier only need the cam belt changing at 120k miles, and costs about 350+VAT.

Dan

All sounds positive then, now I just have to see what I can do with my Clio.
Isnt hindsight a wonderful thing, but then I did buy it to minimise costs, and its been really good in that respect(average 36MPG etc), but I could have bought an S3 straight away, as Ill now of course lose money on the Clio.

Im also thinking BMW 3's, but do prefer a hatchback, think the S3 vs say a 323ci would be no contest, but Ill probably try both anyway, really after something with quality and class, and both cars have it, just the S3 adds performance I suppose. Whats insurance like? group etc on the S3?

Cheers for the feedback thou, im going to have to do some serious thinking about it now...

The S3 is group 17 insurance. Make sure the car you are buying has a Cat 1 alarm - the car has Cat 2 as standard.

I quite like 3-series bimmers, but they have such a negative image, and when the weather is poor (ie all the time in the UK) having AWD is far superior to RWD.