Installing a Dash Cam

The more expensive nextbase units are ok, the £80+ units, they do what they say on the box with no real issues.

@DJAlix, helpful comments, thanks, I looked at the £49.99 cam which you can get on nextbase and it seemed ok, @Carefree69 puts up an good argument for his one but your comments about the more expensive ones interested me, is it because they simply offer better value for money or are they better made than the cheaper one?

Reactions: NevMan
@DJAlix, helpful comments, thanks, I looked at the £49.99 cam which you can get on nextbase and it seemed ok, @Carefree69 puts up an good argument for his one but your comments about the more expensive ones interested me, is it because they simply offer better value for money or are they better made than the cheaper one?

Probably both, but software plays a big part, some have really awful software

We're running four of these at £35 each, No problems with any of them. Perfectly good picture, discreet, stick on detachable mount, WiFi, same sensor and chipset as cameras costing a lot more. You can view recorded footage on your phone or unclip and view via USB. Software not brilliant but you only really need it when setting up. Hard wire kit + micro SD + piggyback fuse = less than £15 to install.
For those who claim they don't have time to install a front one, it's plugging in a fuse, connecting an earth wire and tucking in a bit of cable. It's dead easy and takes less than half an hour including setting up. Less time than it takes to arrange installation and drive your car to an installer.
£50 all in.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blueskys...=item3b1daff1ce:g:TfQAAOSwnhJbraJp:rk:24:pf:0

Reactions: Carefree69
We're running four of these at £35 each, No problems with any of them. Perfectly good picture, discreet, stick on detachable mount, WiFi, same sensor and chipset as cameras costing a lot more. You can view recorded footage on your phone or unclip and view via USB. Software not brilliant but you only really need it when setting up. Hard wire kit + micro SD + piggyback fuse = less than £15 to install.
For those who claim they don't have time to install a front one, it's plugging in a fuse, connecting an earth wire and tucking in a bit of cable. It's dead easy and takes less than half an hour including setting up. Less time than it takes to arrange installation and drive your car to an installer.
£50 all in.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blueskys...=item3b1daff1ce:g:TfQAAOSwnhJbraJp:rk:24:pf:0
Quite right.

According to some though it doesn’t count unless you’ve forked out £££’s to have a “professional” fit it:haha:

Quite right.

According to some though it doesn’t count unless you’ve forked out £££’s to have a “professional” fit it:haha:

Sometimes it's worth paying for quality, sometimes not. The technology in this year's £30 dashcam is the same as in last years's top of the range £300 unit.

Nothing wrong with spending a fortune on a dashcam, but unless you want parking mode features and additional power packs to avoid knackering your battery, I really don't understand why anyone would.

Agreed.

All I know is this, if you are involved in a non fault accident your insurance will just be grateful that you have dashcam footage. However, they won’t care whether it’s 4k super cinema HD or low-res crappy footage, AS LONG AS they can see what happened.

That was all I was saying, but one or two got offended and came for me.

Comedy gold:yahoo:

The technology in this year's £30 dashcam is the same as in last years's top of the range £300 unit
Interesting statement! Care to enlighten everyone on the ones that fall into this category as I am about to install a cheap one into my wife's car and I do not wish to overspend.
Many thanks.

I have just purchased a Blackvue 750 camera and the dealer where I bought took 30 minutes to install it complete with a Power Magic Pro fitted to an ignition feed in the fuse box. The Power Magic stores the power so if the car is left for some time with parking mode on the dashcam does not flatten the main car battery. Installation is neat with the camera mounted next the interior mirror. It is also very easy to remove without disturbing the mount. Excellent picture quality that will easily read a number plate during the day and at night. It also has WiFi so that I can look at and download any picture to my phone or tablet and then transfer them to my pc. Not the cheapest dashcam around but appearance is important to me and this camera is a very neat cylinder.

Agreed.

All I know is this, if you are involved in a non fault accident your insurance will just be grateful that you have dashcam footage. However, they won’t care whether it’s 4k super cinema HD or low-res crappy footage, AS LONG AS they can see what happened.

That was all I was saying, but one or two got offended and came for me.

Comedy gold:yahoo:

You suggesting my dashcam produces low-res crappy footage? I'm offended.:gun2:

Interesting statement! Care to enlighten everyone on the ones that fall into this category as I am about to install a cheap one into my wife's car and I do not wish to overspend.
Many thanks.

Not really, do your own research and spend as much or little on one as you want.

You suggesting my dashcam produces low-res crappy footage? I'm offended.:gun2:

Hahaha not at all mate. For instance, my dashcam isn’t HD but the picture it produces is smooth and clear AND number plates are crystal clear day or night. So, on that basis I don’t NEED a more expensive HD cam AND my insurance company won’t give a monkeys either way.

Simple really.

I will be purchasing a Thinkware 770. Main reason is the loss of DAB with my current Silent Witness cam. It seems to be a known issue with the cabriolet models. After googling to death, short of wrapping everything in aluminium foil, the thinkware is the only proven solution.

Not really, do your own research and spend as much or little on one as you want.
Done my research mate, just as much as anyone does with years of experience on the subject. I was just seeing how you replied back after your off the cuff statement about last years dash cam at £300 could now be got for 30 quid. :yes:

£50 all in.

I want to fit a basic dashcam, and the one quoted by Matt Titanium sounds as though it would be very suitable. My only issue is that from the description on eBay it seems that you need a smartphone to set it up. I have so far resisted this piece of technology, though I do have a regular mobile, iPad, IMac and other computing devices. Does anyone know of you can set up the Blueskysea camera without a smartphone, and, if not, can anyone recommend a similar mini dashcam that doesn’t need one (or will operate with an iPad)

Nobody has mentioned the Audi UTR. I know that some people view it is as overpriced and not as capable as the most up to date offerings from Blackvue etc. However, it has the advantage that Audi will install it so if they break something or it doesn't work properly they will have to fix it. It also uses radar and vibration for parking mode. It doesn't record continuously in parking mode but pings out radar. If it detects movement (or a jolt) it records a clip. I will not flatten the battery (it will turn off at a certain voltage) and it can record for a long time because it is not recording continuously. It comes with model specific wiring looms so there are no clumsy piggy back fuses. Access to footage is via wifi and phone app. It's available as front only or front/rear and it does not interfere with DAB. I have the UTR front/rear and it just does its thing. I hope I won't need the footage but it's there just in case.

A very basic low cost dashcam will be fine for my needs. I just need to find one which is low cost, stealthy, will give sufficient video quality to read number plates, and can be set up without a smartphone. The Blueskysea item mentioned earlier is only £35 on eBay and gets good reviews. However it seems to fall down on my last requirement. Any other suggestions gratefully received. Max price around £50.

So how would you want to set it up? You need to either use a smartphone or have one with an integrated screen! Unless you know of any other method to view the positioning of the lense/camera.

Peter

I was hoping that there was a simple screenless dashcam which could be set up using an iPad via Wi-fi, or failing that a very compact dashcam with with a screen for set up. I have seen pictures of some compact wedge shaped dashcams which appear to have screens, but I haven’t found any reviews.

Last requirement is the ability to be set up without needing a smartphone.

Don't you know anyone with a smartphone or can you get hold of an old smartphone, they are a disposable item these days and there must be millions of old ones lying around. You don't even need a SIM card in the phone, just a WiFi connection to download the app then to communicate with the camera WiFi for a couple of minutes to set up the aim (not that vital) sound on or off, video quality and video file length etc. After that its just a case of plugging the camera into a laptop (USB lead) to view or download footage if you want/need to.
But note, the camera will act as a storage device when plugged into a laptop and won't record.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt Titanium. It was your posts which sparked my interest in fitting a dashcam. Yes, I guess I could borrow a smart phone to do the set up, but it seems strange (to me at least) that an iPad which has a Wi-fi connection can’t do the same thing. Or does the device need to be Android rather than iOS? If I need to view the footage I would be quite happy to remove the sd card from the camera and read it on my iMac.

Well, finally got around to installing a dashcam. Following Matt Titanium’s recommendation I went with the Blueskysea B1W. Just £35 from eBay, plus another few quid for the SD card and piggy back fuse adapter etc. Easy installation following the guides on the forum. Very pleased with the end result. Very discreet, and perfectly adequate picture quality for my needs. Smart phone not essential - can connect to it perfectly well over Wi-fi with my iPad.