Facelift Carista scan result help please.

reefer110

Reaction score
Got a new A3 a few weeks back, 67 plate used with approx 4k on the clock. Did a scan via Carista earlier which gave me the following errors. I've done a google and can't seem to find much as the codes don't appear to correspond to anything in the VCDS error lists.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on what these mean, please?

CAN network gateway:
8531970 - Quiescent current

Central electronics:

ABS:
16401 - Crankshaft / Camshaft Position Correlation Sensor B Bank-1

Power steering:

Heater & air conditioning:

Infotainment system:

This sounds a bit like googling your aches and pains and concluding you have a terminal disease :whistle2:

Reactions: Ormesome
The CAN network is what allows signals to be sent from your ECU to other devices and sensors on the car such as ABS units, MMI systems from what I know. Quiescent just means it's in idle state, so I would imagine that rather than that being a fault code, it's more of a system message.

So, these fault codes, are they actually VAG codes or something Carista uses as an alternative? Its great you can view these things via Carista but if you cant correlate the resulting numbers to anything then its a bit pointless, no?

So, these fault codes, are they actually VAG codes or something Carista uses as an alternative? Its great you can view these things via Carista but if you cant correlate the resulting numbers to anything then its a bit pointless, no?
I've heard that's a common criticism of Carista. But I think the premium version gives you more, and allows you to diagnose.

I've got the free month trial that came with the Carista Bluetooth device, I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that's the pro version?

My car had a bunch of things. None of which I could make any sense of. Some things have been valid, ie exhaust valves unplugged and on my mates car it mentioned a speaker that we knew was faulty.. But yeah... Trying to make sense of them was difficult.

Half of the faults I found on mine where caused by Caristas own modifications! horrible to find explanations for the faults too. you just have to google each code.

I scanned my car with Carista some time ago and had some bizarre codes that couldn't possibly be relevant such as something wrong with the electronic folding roof when my car is not a convertible!

Reactions: oli356
...horrible to find explanations for the faults too. you just have to google each code.
Look on the bright side. Googling a couple of fault codes yourself is one hell of a lot cheaper than having a dealership do a scan for you.

"How much would it be for you to do a diagnostic scan of my car?"

"That'll be a colossal amount of money, Sir. An amount of money so disproportionate to the actual work involved that it simply isn't true. However, you do have to remember, Sir, that all of our technicians have attended an intensive course at the factory in how to plug a computer lead into a hole in the car."

"And don't forget that you can catch up on your business e-mails courtesy of our free wi-fi and enjoy a complimentary Danish pastry while you wait, Sir."

Reactions: Ormesome
After an hours journey yesterday I rescanned .... nothing flagged up. Assume I can forget all about it for the time being.