Battery drain

Adeel43

Reaction score
I've had a battery drain on my 2005 A3 2.0 TFSI for about a year. First off the battery was replaced which did not stop the issue. The battery was thought to be the culprit again and had been replaced again.

I noticed last night that the hazard light switch was illuminated last night even after locking the car so need some help tracing this. I have a faulty drivers door lock that needs to be replaced anyway so have narrowed it down to that or the stereo after reading it is a common issue. I have a single din concert CD player with multi changer in the glove box.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a good auto electrician in West London?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Can't point you to an electrician but have you done a fault code read? Cheap bluetooth ELM OBD and free trial of carista might shed some more light on it

I've got Carista and have used the free trial! Might have to pay up now and buy it for a year

Buy it and then go into your subscriptions and cancel it a few days later, otherwise it will catch you out in 12 months time when it may not be needed.

I've pulled the fuse for the battery and these are the codes I'm getting in Carista now
de11014e0f03276d6cec7a0a9d82f12f.jpg

I've pulled the fuse for the battery and these are the codes I'm getting in Carista now
de11014e0f03276d6cec7a0a9d82f12f.jpg

Was the radio code there before you pulled the fuse?
To find this battery drain yourself you will have to charge the battery up, make good use of a multimeter and then start pulling fuses while using the multimeter. If not then you’ll never know if you’ve found the drain or not

I remember reading on here about a battery drain issue that was caused by the glovebox light staying on after it was closed.

I've checked the glove box light and it goes off when the lid is closed.

The radio code was not there previously. Only after I took the fuse out but I'm already thinking that's not the problem.

I've just gone out to the car (jumped with a boost pack earlier) and I can see the hazard light is illuminated. Have not noticed that before, as I was sat in the car it locked itself. It's never done that before either so now I have a car with a battery drain which locks itself!

I believe in the power of this forum to help me!

Reactions: maxpayne
Pulling the fuse for the stereo didn't work. Would removing the stereo make any difference?

Locking makes the hazard light switch illuminate (this even over 24 hours would not draw sufficient current to make your car absolutely dead).

Ideally need a current clamp meter. Then can measure at the harness of the suspected locations or even easier would be to use a blade fuse extension with the clamp (obviously you have to use a burnt out fuse to make this work)

Attachments

• Fuse.jpg
    Fuse.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: Adeel43
Been lots of discussion about this on here and other forums such as TT etc. the problem and solutions appear to vary but include faulty door lock actuators and the old type wired micro switch, broken wires inside the door loom jamb, faulty hazard light switch and faulty alarms.
I had a couple of instances with flat battery some years ago and after researching found the most likely cause was that the car had not been locked properly and did not go to sleep and therefore the battery was still under load for several days.
There was a very good thread on here about testing that theory with the VCDs cable exiting through a locked car with an open window. You can see the system shut down and battery drain reduce,(or not as the case might be) unfortunately I am unable to find that thread again but perhaps a further search might throw it up
My advice would be to lock the car up and make absolutely certain that all doors are actually locked and that the system such as interior lights, puddle lights and radio etc are all going to sleep, after I think it was five minutes as they should be. Hope this helps a little and you manage to fix it

Just seen your other post where door locks and battery drain etc are also discussed, apologies to those who have already covered the points in that thread that I made above .
Interesting to see the different opinions on the locks though. I did initially get a new micro switch for my door lock but no good. I think that fix applies to 8L as I have one of the first 8P (54) and the door lock micro switch is completely different, in that the micro switch is right inside the lock and not accessible from the outside as the video shows. I took my lock apart and the micro switch was in good condition so not the problem anyway!

Just seen your other post where door locks and battery drain etc are also discussed, apologies to those who have already covered the points in that thread that I made above .
Interesting to see the different opinions on the locks though. I did initially get a new micro switch for my door lock but no good. I think that fix applies to 8L as I have one of the first 8P (54) and the door lock micro switch is completely different, in that the micro switch is right inside the lock and not accessible from the outside as the video shows. I took my lock apart and the micro switch was in good condition so not the problem anyway!
It's all helpful so thanks for taking the time to reply.

I feel.its something so simple and small I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

First step is to replace the door lock and take it from there. If nothing else when the battery goes flat I can open the car with the key again!

Be worth getting an Autoscan done to see
I've had a battery drain on my 2005 A3 2.0 TFSI for about a year. First off the battery was replaced which did not stop the issue. The battery was thought to be the culprit again and had been replaced again.

I noticed last night that the hazard light switch was illuminated last night even after locking the car so need some help tracing this. I have a faulty drivers door lock that needs to be replaced anyway so have narrowed it down to that or the stereo after reading it is a common issue. I have a single din concert CD player with multi changer in the glove box.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a good auto electrician in West London?

Send @Ash187 a PM mate if anyone can help he will be the man who will have the better idea , as i am sure he can bring your wire diagrams up and trace the fault via Vcd's

Have checked in with Ash and he can't do it. If replacing the door lock doesn't work I'll need the power of the forum to find me a good auto electrician

Have checked in with Ash and he can't do it. If replacing the door lock doesn't work I'll need the power of the forum to find me a good auto electrician

Have you tried @NHN as he could be the other guy to try .
Another think i was going to suggest is check the door modules with a Vag cable mod 42 mod 52 to see if you have the boxes ticked that should be ticked incase you have something ticked that shouldn't be ticked incase its electrical

I'm available in Coventry if applicable.
At this rate I might drive to you!

I put the fuse back in for the radio and car was dead in minutes but I had the doors etc open for about an hour. I've taken it on a long drive and taken the radio fuse out again and closed it up as normal.
One thing I haven't been able to is ID the fault codes from Carista.

57511? Cant find it on the internet anywhere!

47c2ed91b4bcb26c2c57ab276f8f6311.jpg

Look for someone near to you who has Vcd's and ask them nicely to do an autoscan its the best way mete to get to the bottom off the problem . Use the Vcd's map

Look for someone near to you who has Vcd's and ask them nicely to do an autoscan its the best way mete to get to the bottom off the problem . Use the Vcd's map
Good shout. Have messaged a few people