Alloy condition

Ryore

Reaction score
I've been reading through previous threads about cleaning agents for alloys and picked up some good advice, one thing that I have noticed though after I've cleaned my alloys (17" Avus), is that when they dry, they appear to have a white film over them, it looks almost like a white powder on the surface, a paterna or some kind of fine corrosion.

I've tried all sorts of cleaners and stay away from acid based cleaners but I think this is just the lacquer has worn through leaving the alloy to the elements.
Its happened on all 4 wheels, and although its not a big problem, its a little annoying

Has anyone else had this? is there some kind of treatment that I can use after cleaning or is it a case of getting the lacquer re done.

Here's a pic, not a good one but its all I had on my works pc.

baby%20216.jpg

What wheel cleaner do you use? Have you tried giving them a polish?

That is the primer showing through.
need repaint or powder coating.

huuuum, not so good.
It would be a good excuse to buy bigger rims, but to be honest I want to keep this car looking as standard as possible.

any recommendations for wheel refurbish in the Richmond / west London area?

P.S. I have been using Autoglym car shampoo

I think the answer is that you may be washing the rims with Car Shampoo. I've had this problem with Meguiars NXT shampoo as it left a 'residue'. I then clean them with Wonder Wheels, give em a buff and they look fine.

Have your alloys been refurbed if so this may be another reason why.

Shouldn't worry too much unless it is really ******* you off? or is eating away at the alloy?

In this case I'm pretty confident its not residue, I think Simch is spot on here...

but like you say its not an urgently pressing problem, just cosmetic and a bit annoying.