Stone Chip

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
I washed the car last week and while chamoising it down I found a scratch on the bonnet from a stone chip. It is about the size of two grains of rice and probably too deep to fix with a quick polish I reckon.

What's the best way to get rid of this (DIY method preferably). Can I buy a small pot of paint from Audi to fix it?

Try posting this in the Detailing section - some of the professional detailers will be able to offer advice. On one of their threads, I saw a repair made of a deep scratch but I can't recall how they did it.

Oh and dump the chamois and get a microfibre towel. The chamois will eventually leave loads of swirl marks in the paint.

MarcQuinlivan said:
I washed the car last week and while chamoising it down I found a scratch on the bonnet from a stone chip. It is about the size of two grains of rice and probably too deep to fix with a quick polish I reckon.

What's the best way to get rid of this (DIY method preferably). Can I buy a small pot of paint from Audi to fix it?

Hi same happened to my A3.... got a chip little bit smaller in size though...
I bought the Genuine Audi Touch up paint kit you get 1x paint and 1x lacquer.. cost £5.15 from the dealer

Done a great job just need steady hand and a bit of time .. took a couple of coats of paint over a few days then the a coat of lacquer , then just polish it back .... looks very good for a DIY joc... :icon_thumright:

Or if you have Halfords over there then their kits are very good. The little 'pen' thing is much more precise than a brush.

cliveywolves said:
I bought the Genuine Audi Touch up paint kit you get 1x paint and 1x lacquer.. cost £5.15 from the dealer

Done a great job just need steady hand and a bit of time .. took a couple of coats of paint over a few days then the a coat of lacquer , then just polish it back .... looks very good for a DIY joc... :icon_thumright:
presumably the car needs to be garaged for the duration?

cliveywolves said:

Just ordered the kit from my dealer. £5.75 inc vat.

My red S3 caught a deep chip after only 350 miles. I used the Audi red and it is a good match.
Build it up gradually over a few days using the finest paint brush you can find. Model shops are often a good source of these ultra fine brushes.

prt