Windscreen Whats Genuine?

selleym

Reaction score
So to give a background. 2ft long crack in my windscreen.
8th JUNE insurance authorise Audi OEM replacement screen.
Waiting waiting waiting 23rd of JULY they say it will arrive and they booked an AM appointment.
23rd comes morning goes, nothing from Autoglass. I call them, they didn't get the windscreen on the Van in time...
Seems odd so they arrive in the afternoon. I check the windscreen no Audi logo on it. Also the black surrounds around the rear view mirror is different. (Could people post pictures of theirs, newer the better thanks).
Even the guy agreed with me it didnt look Audi OEM and took it away saying they would call me the next week with the new one.
I hear nothing.. i call them this morning. They say oh someone should have called you, its was definitely Genuine Audi Glass and we can book you in to get it fitted. :wtf:
They say its come from an Audi dealer...
I called a couple of Audi dealers from separate dealer networks just to check and they said 100% if its come from Audi Dealer it will have the Logo on it.

I'm sure there are people who know quite a lot about screens maybe even people who work in parts or fitting. Any advice welcome.
Pictures of people rear mirror surround is welcome. :icon thumright:
S3 Saloon with Rain sensor is my spec.

Does your current glass have the part number etched?

If so, provide that to glass company, say thats the part number, unless you can show me the purchase invoice or part number on the glass, you're not fitting that unit.

They do make glass for vag.

Does your glass have a part number etched?

Yep Below

y4mNPefh56gOl2F5pHlPDcXxbNXWW_FuEYO6X09Z7RpK8jvf5UjB82e2LvifZpwhmGNN--koMl2lULRBm7KNTSeiAHz0fu5XV1JaDt7i4TzXWx0Smnv9mJWnZw-RohGPMaI3kPAPVrCkD30hZ29xVZRgkcEOS0U_DZ5vd5mgx0LUwBrp4nAEGmymrAOeD-qrMRGz4D3eWNZKVxnupE7SHwHew

I had a replacement recently. I pointed out to Autoglass that it had rain sensor, acoustic glass etc. The girl said yes, they have all that info from the registration number. I didn’t push for OEM in particular, but the replacement has got the Audi logo on it.

Tbh that doesnt show the correct part number for etka, so it could be just the audi logo to denote its for an audi.

Ideally compare a new car with your markings to be sure.

I had a replacement recently. I pointed out to Autoglass that it had rain sensor, acoustic glass etc. The girl said yes, they have all that info from the registration number. I didn’t push for OEM in particular, but the replacement has got the Audi logo on it.
When was this done? Also would you mind sending me a picture of the part number like i have and also the area around the rear view mirror? Thanks

Here’s mine a MY17 A3 S Line. I have the Rain sensor. Not sure if the glass would be the same as an S3.
18122c72dea56f13d4c37507180afeb1.jpg
662b5c6dabc81e70c911415f5feaf624.jpg
942e64f61a2602a2353131edf3936c0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is mine. I couldn't take a pic of the mirror area - I had put the car away before I remembered and then couldn't get a pic. Will try to remember tomorrow.
Car is a MY15 Saloon. Rain sensor, High Beam Assist (I think that detector is in the mirror housing) and acoustic glass.

IMG 0343

I have just had a screen replaced in the RS4, I initially called Autoglass and insisted on a OEM screen.
They said it could take a while to get approval from my insurance company. They wouldn't commit to a timescale.
The crack got much worse so I rang a local independent company that came highly recommended. I spoke to their guy and he recommended the Pilkington screen as even if you get an OEM screen it could be Chinese glass. He had just replaced a Chinese screen on a new TTS.
Headless to say he didn't rate it, at least by having the Pilkington you know the quality you are getting.
I am happy with the new screen, the black border around the side into the scuttle area is slightly different but makes no difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

After lots and backwards an forwards with them telling me the windscreen was oem and that they don't come with logos. I insisted they ordered another. Surprise surprise it came with a logo. Pilkington screen!
Bunch of cowboys!

I would have always said oem is best but I had a replacement Pilkington screen in my 8P after a retrofit and it was a perfect
The screen in my 8V is original and it's awful tbh, the curved edges on either side distort the view something chronic!