New to the forum

DeadxDawn

Reaction score
Been lurking around for a few weeks, seems pretty active on here, so I thought I'd sign up!

I live in northern Alberta, Canada. Coming from a long line of VW ownership (18 to date), and one Audi 5000 way back. always wrenched on my own vehicles, and have had some pretty fun rides (Squareback on full air ride being a favorite).

I recently traded in my 15' GLI Autobahn 6m, on a 2016 base load S3 P+.
The GLI

I loved my GLI, had a great amount of options and features, was a blast to drive.
Not fast enough. Too much wheel spin. I had been eyeing the S3 since it came out, and finally one popped up that I liked, and here we are.

I bought it mid June, and this is what I've done (so far):

-Unitronic Stage 1+ 93 tune / uniconnect+
-CTS Turbo inlet installed
-CTS Turbo turbo exh delete installed
-Intake box gutted, drop in AFE dry filter
-Resonator delete installed
-H&R ss springs installed
-RS3 grill installed, rear debadged, black rings added
-Black vinyl on all chrome window trim
-Clear mount phone holder added
-Sunglass holder in factory ds handle
-15mm spacers rear, 10mm front

Now, I plan on retrofitting an oem push to start with the oem console piece. I'm sure it can be done, but haven't found any info on someone doing it yet (just aftermarket on similar models). I'd like to do a retrofit of keyless door entry / convenience key as well, but first things first.

Also looking for some feedback on either an android updated screen/or system, and back up camera.

Here's a potato pic of the car after a good week of upgrades

I'm 99.9% sure that it can NOT be done OEM parts wise, the only option is aftermarket kit...

Not to disagree, but coming from a pretty comfortable history with vagcom, most, and I stress most, oe options or hardware that is offered in the same platform year, usually can be adapted. I might sound overly optimistic, which I am. What I really need, is the hardware list.

The fact this car doesn't have half the stuff my stock 15 GLI had, irks me to no end. But, I waited for a tech package S3 to show up, and couldn't wait much longer.

I'm in Hong Kong, in contact with dozens of retrofitters in China, believe me, anything that you can think of, it has been done to death over there. And OEM keyless start isn't one of them.

Welcome. Beautiful and interesting part of the world you live in.

I'm in Hong Kong, in contact with dozens of retrofitters in China, believe me, anything that you can think of, it has been done to death over there. And OEM keyless start isn't one of them.
I'd need to have legit reasons why it won't work. As it is, I'm starting to piece together the hardware, and will be snooping around vcds.

Too many times I have heard its impossible or can't be done, only to have dug in further and found it doable, if not cost effective. Nothings impossible.
If it takes the canbus and ecu plus all hardware from a donor car to make it happen then so be it. Anything to do with cars always comes down to time and money, not if it can be done or not.

Elon launched a car into space. I'm sure this won't be as tedious :p

E: Just to add, it has been done, relatively easy (if youre comfortable with wiring) on a couple of B8 S4's. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/797078-B8-A4-amp-A5-Keyless-Entry-Push-Start-DIY

Last edited:
Different platform yes. But easily done, and MQB shares a ton of vagcom and hardware applications from previous gen cars.

Reading multiple forums, I haven't seen or read anyone trying, and more so, mentioning why it won't work. Unless someone has attempted it, with documentation and a verified reason why it won't work, then as far as logic goes, it is doable, just hasn't been done. Feasible until proven otherwise.

Like I said, if someone has stumbled upon a verified thread, reason, personal experience, etc, based in reality and not on assumption, please share, so I can spend money elsewhere lol.

Different platform yes. But easily done, and MQB shares a ton of vagcom and hardware applications from previous gen cars.

Reading multiple forums, I haven't seen or read anyone trying, and more so, mentioning why it won't work. Unless someone has attempted it, with documentation and a verified reason why it won't work, then as far as logic goes, it is doable, just hasn't been done. Feasible until proven otherwise.

Like I said, if someone has stumbled upon a verified thread, reason, personal experience, etc, based in reality and not on assumption, please share, so I can spend money elsewhere lol.
Something to note: VAGCOM is the old name for what is now know as VCDS, name changed due to legal action via VAG Group. Most people who use this term I generally referring to fake or cloned cables mainly because the fakers still have stock of their 100000000 cases they had made up in China 10 years ago, which have vagcom embossed on to them and don’t want to update to a new design.

Back to the topic...

What you are trying to suggest is that the MQB platform is very similar to previous platforms in that it’s coding and adaptations are related however with the advent of MQB and indeed MLBevo there are more “methods” which have been introduced in to the mix. Suggest you start reading up on the following:

-Parameterisation
-TXT Coding
-Software Version Management (SVM)
-Software as a Product (SWaP)

Retrofitting KESSY to previous platforms is a walk in the park, check my blog to see fully working retrofits on RS6 and A6 vehicles, but with the new platforms has come new security (IMMO) and indeed the introduction of licensing.

Now I’m not saying that this cannot be done, I actually have a good idea of how the retrofit needs to be completed however I can also think of loads of reasons as to why this will fail. It’s all just the theory though.

As a professional coder and retrofitter, if asked, I would reject this project and here is why:

1) the amount of hours needed, for both research and actual works, would probably render this project financially unattractive and maybe even prohibitive. This actually stands for both you and myself. Think of a virtual cockpit retrofit... to complete as per OEM is approx £7k for new parts. That money would be better used towards a new car.
2) my time would be better spent and indeed be more profitable installing a few reversing cameras and activating needle sweeps.
3) due to platform licensing the KESSY hardware will need to be hacked in order to function. I would not be happy with the security of such items.
4) providing warranty and support for a retrofit would be very difficult, and I doubt my liability insurance would cover this.

Re point 3, and this is the reason that I don’t have KESSY on my own car, with the tools I have availabe to me I can have any KESSY VAG Car away in under 5mins, and my speed is held back because I use OEM tools which are slow.

My car came with keyless so I never really paid attention, it wasn’t possible last year, but I just checked with the retrofitors just now and it has now been cracked haha! Parts and installation is about US$1.5K but it can NOT be coded remotely so couldn’t help sorry...

Thanks for the replies!

Larbel, Id be interested in a link to whatever company is offering it, or at least more details.

Djalex, I'm well aware of vcds (worked for VW twice over the last 15 years), some of us older punks still call coding/programming in general as vagcom, so pardon my slip (all hail rosstech). SVM has always been a challenge to deal with, once I have clearer ground on the list I need to pull this off, I'll definitely read up and dust off the ol coding info. Im fortunate to have a pretty strong VW/Audi/Porsche Tech network over here to lean on as well.

Myself, I have pretty comfortable experience with coding, as I used to do it on the side, starting back in the mkiv era, and for my customers at the dealership. If I never have to code gauge staging again, I will be a happy man ha. These days, I just tell kids to get obd11 lol.

Cost and time is definitely a different situation for most people. I have an entire winter to complete a list of things to do, and quite a comfortable bank account to do it from. That's not the point though.

What I'm after, is information on what it will take regardless of cost or time. Let me worry if it's too expensive, or time consuming, what I need is the sharing of information, which it seems, no one has solid information.

If that's not available, then we can leave it at that. I'll start picking the brains of techs I know. Someone will do this retrofit, especially considering it was oem equipment on the same car, and as with anything, the more donor cars that pop up, the more accessible it becomes.
The question is who will do it first lol.

Anyways, you always make your first stop at forums right? :p

Thanks for the replies!

Larbel, Id be interested in a link to whatever company is offering it, or at least more details.

Djalex, I'm well aware of vcds (worked for VW twice over the last 15 years), some of us older punks still call coding/programming in general as vagcom, so pardon my slip (all hail rosstech). SVM has always been a challenge to deal with, once I have clearer ground on the list I need to pull this off, I'll definitely read up and dust off the ol coding info. Im fortunate to have a pretty strong VW/Audi/Porsche Tech network over here to lean on as well.

Myself, I have pretty comfortable experience with coding, as I used to do it on the side, starting back in the mkiv era, and for my customers at the dealership. If I never have to code gauge staging again, I will be a happy man ha. These days, I just tell kids to get obd11 lol.

Cost and time is definitely a different situation for most people. I have an entire winter to complete a list of things to do, and quite a comfortable bank account to do it from. That's not the point though.

What I'm after, is information on what it will take regardless of cost or time. Let me worry if it's too expensive, or time consuming, what I need is the sharing of information, which it seems, no one has solid information.

If that's not available, then we can leave it at that. I'll start picking the brains of techs I know. Someone will do this retrofit, especially considering it was oem equipment on the same car, and as with anything, the more donor cars that pop up, the more accessible it becomes.
The question is who will do it first lol.

Anyways, you always make your first stop at forums right? :p

It's trade secret, no one will tell you if you're not buying from them, and they can't sell it to you coz it can't be coded remotely, sorry.