12 volt sockets permanently live ??

Tiger-G

Reaction score
Hi ,

Is it possible to have your 12 volt sockets permanently live on a 65 reg Allroad ??

I read on the internet you can move a fuse slightly on other Audi models to get a permanent live, but I couldn't find anything on the A4. After yet another camping trip, where I have to sit in the car for an hour with the ignition switched on just to charge my phone, I think it's time to rejig the electrics - soooo frustrating !!

Cheers,
Graeme.

:nomouth:Yeah, I saw that write up. Will have a look into it. Thanks ;-)

Seems a good guide. Be good to do this to all fuse holders.

Shame on the people who reckon it's unsafe. Providing its all terminated correctly and the same rating fuse is used, then no issue at all.

Dragging up an old thread, but I had a go at wiring my 12 volt outlets to be permanently live today as per the link earlier in the thread.......to say it was unsuccessful is an understatement !! :crying:.

I found the correct fuse behind the right rear boot trim panel, took it out and tried to wire it to a permanent live. I'm really sh!t with electrics, and I proved this again today as I couldn't get it to work. I put my multimeter on the right side terminal where I took the fuse out and there was a 12 volt reading with the ignition on or off. On the left side terminal there was no reading with the ignition off, but a one or two volt reading with the ignition on ?? Does this mean there's a relay involved when the ignition is switched on ?? I ran a permanent live from the fuse box at the front of the car to the left side terminal hoping this would work, but the outlets were still only live with the ignition on ?? Is a relay preventing me from being able to have the outlets permanently live ??

(All that made sense to me.......just. Hope it made sense to everyone else, lol ??)

Anyone electrically minded enough who can explain how to wire this correctly, as it's frustrating me to f#ck, and I don't like to be beaten !! :rage:

Last edited:
I used the guide I linked to earlier and had no problems, quick and simple.
You are just looping a permanent live to the OUTPUT side of the 12v socket fuse. replacing the original fuse with one in the "loop".
I use my 12v socket to keep a CTEK "smart" charger connected to the battery in the winter.
The all-road has a different fuse setup, so you'll have to find a specific solution for it. You need to find a permanent live, identify the correct fuse for the socket you want to make live and after that it's easy.
Here's a couple more links
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5994409-DIY-Constant-power-to-12V-outlets
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5909649-DIY-12v-sockets-(always-hot)
Easy to do, hard to explain

Last edited: