2.0 FSI Head Replacement

Craig Brubacher

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am purchasing a 2007 A3 2.0T FSI off my Dad soon which we believe needs the head replaced. The car is a 6MT with roughly 120k miles on it. We have not dug into the car yet, but I’m going to travel to help fix it with him. Looking for some advice on parts to replace while we’re in there replacing the head. At this point, we’re assuming the timing belt failed. I want to purchase everything up front so we can knock this out in a couple of days (hopefully). My Dad has also told me that the car was throwing an oil pressure light before it died. I've seen that could possibly be linked to the failure of the engine. My research shows the Cam Adjuster Solenoid will throw the CEL causing the timing chain tensioner to not apply proper pressure, hence throwing off the timing.

I know the FSI’s are prone to excessive cam wear and cam follower wear on the HPFP lobe. We will inspect that and buy the updated cam and new cam follower, if needed. Other than that, I’ve assembled parts based on my knowledge of cars in general and not specifically the A3.

My list so far:
- Ultimate Plus Timing Belt kit from ECS including:
  1. NTN Timing Belt Idler Pulley
  2. Continental Timing Belt
  3. INA Timing Belt Idler Roller
  4. Elring Camshaft/Crankshaft seal
  5. Contintental Accessory Belt
  6. GEBA Water Pump
  7. 3L of Vaico Coolant
  8. Gates Timing Belt Tensioner
  9. Elring Fron Crakshaft seal
  10. All new bolts (either OEM or Vaico)
- Thermostat
- ARP head studs
- Head gasket kit from ECS including:
  1. OEM Vacuum Pump Gasket
  2. OEM Silicone Sealant (100 Grams)
  3. Elring Exhaust Manifold Gasket
  4. Elring Valve Stem Seals
  5. Elring Intake Manifold Gasket
  6. Elring Camshaft End Cap
  7. Ajusa Upper Timing Cover Gasket
  8. Elwis Pressure Control Valve Gasket
  9. OEM Head Gasket
- 9 piece silicone hose kit from ECS
- PCV silicone hose from ECS
- NGK Platinum spark plugs

Anything simple that I have missed? Any items that I SHOULD replace while the car is apart as additional preventative maintenance? Additionally, the car has been sitting for a little over a year now.

I wasn’t seeing any overlap between the ECS kits. I obviously want to avoid buying parts twice. My goal is to try and bullet proof this car as much as possible, as it will be my new daily. Thanks in advance for any help, it’s greatly appreciated!

Remove the sump and clean it out along with the oil pick up pipe. This is a known cause of low oil pressure due to Long Life oil servicing when the car was new, if there is some sludgy oil in the sump it can be picked up by the pick up pipe and sometimes be semi blocked.
Have a great weekend with yer Dad as well.