Does your A4 Avant follow the camber of the road?

MAS100

Reaction score
My new Audi Allroad drives gently towards the gutter whilst in the left lane and on the other side of the road when tested it reacts to the camber again and drives gently to the right. In other words it steers itself according to the camber of the road. According to the mechanic who tested it for me it is only to be expected. I've never experienced this before in previous cars. So my question is "Does everyone's car have the same trait?"

Totally normal for any car because it’s trying to go straight on a camber. Should be a very gentle drift and nothing more. Depends on the camber also.

I would suggest to have an alignment check done. You shouldn't even notice the car following the road camber.

A simple search onkine would clarify it is
My new Audi Allroad drives gently towards the gutter whilst in the left lane and on the other side of the road when tested it reacts to the camber again and drives gently to the right. In other words it steers itself according to the camber of the road. According to the mechanic who tested it for me it is only to be expected. I've never experienced this before in previous cars. So my question is "Does everyone's car have the same trait?"
If the car drives straight and true on a level road then it is unlikely to be a alignment issue. If any wheel alignment was setup for a camber then it would be unlikely to drive straight and true on a level road.
Have a look at the tyres, check the pressures and for any signs of uneven wear. Some tyres exhibite 'tramlining' more than others especially on where cracks might have formed or have been repaired with tar. I had some conti's on a mk4 mondeo and those were terrible as they literally threw the car to one side when worn on repaired cracks in the road...

Reactions: WesT-gefül
My B8.5 was really bad for this but it was a bit of a known issue with it... As cuke2u has suggested, tyres can have an impact and a guy at my work put Pirelli's on his B8.5 Avant and said that it killed a bunch of the tramlining. I can't confirm because I stuck to the stock tyres when I had mine, but worth a shot if you need to change tyres any time soon.

I have had seven new Audis and five have had alignment (including steering wheel straightness) issues from delivery, my current A4 was spot on and does not wander with the camber unless we are talking severe camber.

I did emphasise to the dealer that I would not tale it away if it was not correct on delivery.

My girlfriend has also had four new Seats which all had align out of tolerance from delivery.

If it comes down to the dealer saying it's fine and they are all like that, ask for the alignment results showing everything is in the Green.

Reactions: Daggerit

Our previous B9 Avant Quattro didn't do this from new (or indeed over 22k miles and 2 years) and its 3 week old replacement is a B9 Allroad and doesn't either (currently on 1,200 miles) both our B9's ran 17"s on Michelin Primacy 3, as said might be worth getting them to check alignment and (or) look at tyre inflation, which brand etc.

Thanks everyone. I am going tobook it in for checking at Audi York. The tyres ( for info) are Michelin Primacy 3 on 18" rims and have only done 1300 miles. Needless to say the car won't stay in its lane on motorways nor when using Active Lane Assist so although the drift is gentle its not relaxing to drive over any distance.

Sounds like toe adjustment needed, a really simple job if that's the case.