Problems with a4 b5 quattro

Fluid36

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I own a 1996 2.6 quattro sport

Just a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.

1) In first gear when I accelerate there is quite a loud 'whirring' sound which is a bit disturbing but in all the other gears its fine, any ideas on what this could be?

2)My digital readout for the milage and trip meter etc is gone, (the little black box area within the speedo showing how many miles the car has done etc and the miles for the trip), could this be a fuse maybe?

3) My oil temp gauge does not light up at night, could this be a fuse too possibly?

Thanks in advance for any relplies

(1) Check yout timing belt i had a sililar problem and it was the tensioner.

(2) You clocks may be fecked and you may need to buy new/used ones. I would check the fuses and if that didnt fix it then take the clocks out and reseat the cables in the back of it.

(3) The bulb will be away. Need to take the clocks out to replace it.

Hi.
Don't know about number 1 but number 2 & 3 will be bulbs. They are 509T 1.1w are orange twist out holders.
You can source them Here
HTH
Si.

Missing Digital display could just be the button underneath the satlk too! Know its daft but could of been knocked by accident!!

Hi

Can you actually turn the digital readout showing the milage etc off by using the button?, I thought you could only turn the large digital readout in the center, in between the rev counter and the speedo off?

thanks

1. Could be the gearbox on it's way out. My 2.8Q sounded horrible in 1st for ages ended up needing a new gearbox, was fine in all other gears - hope it's not this, but don't see how the timing belt/tensioner would be related to what gear you're in.

I think the illumination is LED's and they can't be changed, cant on my B6 anyway.
By the way, if you remove the cluster the car will not start.

My mates 2.8 sounded rough and it was the clutch release bearing on the way out. I'd go for something gearbox related...
although I had an old P100 that only made an awful noise in 5th and it was the hub. Very strange!

the clutch bearing normally goes quiet when you depress the clutch pedal

Yep I have an oil temp guage

Hope its not the gearbox, if so how nuch would it cost for a new one?

in regards to the leds, if they cant be replaced how would I fix them?

thanks

I had to fork out £1,100 for a recon swap out and the labour (incluing a new clutch as well), but this was after it had blown a hole in the casing somehow and was leaking hydraulic fluid everywhere. Never did get to the bottom of what exactly happened, but hopefully if it's dealt with earlier then it may be a much cheaper fix.
I think all 2.8Q's have an oil temp gauge, mine does anyway. The illumination should just be a bulb, it won't have it's own fuse (they all run off the same one), so if all the other instruments light up then it has to be a bulb.

Thanks AndyMac, 1100 is a bit of a hit but like you said I'll get it checked out asap and will hopefully not be as much.

How hard is it to replace the bulbs, remove the dash etc?

cheers