Miles per Tank

Matthew Lee Maycock

Reaction score
juat a quick question for you all, I’m currently waiting for my S3 to arrive in the UK. Currently stuck waiting for a ship over to the UK. How many miles do you get to fill tank on average?

I get between 300-350 on average with combined driving and some “spirited” driving.

I have managed 420 in a tank but only once and never to be repeated if I can help it!

The car has averaged 32mpg over its 19,000 miles thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Matthew Lee Maycock
Usually between 340-370 miles a tank from me...

Reactions: Matthew Lee Maycock and SILVAF0XX
350 - 400, average mpg is currently 35.6 after 18,000 Miles.

Reactions: Matthew Lee Maycock and SILVAF0XX
:grinning:I get between 250 driving like miss Daisy and 180 letting it rip potato chip

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
Who cares, if your looking for economy you bought the wrong car and you didn’t do your homework.

This is such a stupid sentence...
Not for me it’s not. I enjoy driving and if you have to worry about fuel economy buy yourself a a car you can afford to fuel.

Not for me it’s not. I enjoy driving and if you have to worry about fuel economy buy yourself a a car you can afford to fuel.

I understand your point but still disagree.

I bought the car for its performance... having said that I still wondered just what consumption I was going to get in the real world.

You aren’t thrashing it all the tine so it’s a reasonable question.

I agree that if you are looking for economy then you have indeed selected the wrong car... but I think it’s a fair thing to ask.

Reactions: Mark_86, Matt Titanium and Chipmunk73
Mpg is always on my mind i drive careful and only unleash the beast every now n then. Truth is i cant afford to drive my car but i make it work so i dont end up in a 2litre diesel ultra -)

Well I suppose it’s what your used to. I also run a fully loaded Porsche Carrera GT 4 now that will average about 10 to 12 mpg so the S3 appears like a camel to me.

Its also the practicality though, I occasionally have to go to the petrol station twice a day. If the economy was 50% worse, then I would probably have to stop on the motorway and bend over backwards, in addition to wasting time standing at the pump.

Also, if say you got 25mpg average and did 10k miles a year, fuel costing 124p, that would be £2200, but what if you get 15 mpg, it would cost £1500 more a year. Some people don't have 1500 more to spend (or just the moral of spending almost £4k on fuel a year... Doesn't mean we should be buying more efficient cars, but I think its good info to know. I'm going to be doing over 600 miles on Mon-Wed, the majority of that being motorway but then hopefully some clear mountain roads at my destination. Not a worry and not that I can't afford it but I think its good to know.

I guess some people truely don't care though... or as you said, had a less efficient car so the S3 is great compared to it lol.

Reactions: Chipmunk73
I did regular runs from st helens to trafford in my 2014 s3 use to get around 43mpg . Mostly m/way n linkway
Its also the practicality though, I occasionally have to go to the petrol station twice a day. If the economy was 50% worse, then I would probably have to stop on the motorway and bend over backwards, in addition to wasting time standing at the pump.

Also, if say you got 25mpg average and did 10k miles a year, fuel costing 124p, that would be £2200, but what if you get 15 mpg, it would cost £1500 more a year. Some people don't have 1500 more to spend (or just the moral of spending almost £4k on fuel a year... Doesn't mean we should be buying more efficient cars, but I think its good info to know. I'm going to be doing over 600 miles on Mon-Wed, the majority of that being motorway but then hopefully some clear mountain roads at my destination. Not a worry and not that I can't afford it but I think its good to know.

I guess some people truely don't care though... or as you said, had a less efficient car so the S3 is great compared to it lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well here in the southeast I pay on average £129.9 per litre for Shell.

Wow!! Is the a FL car?

Seems a lot lower than the rest of us are getting!

Yes it’s a my 2018 and I picked it up in September and had new tyres fitted at 5k. I must say I really enjoy driving it it’s like a go kart.

Well here in the southeast I pay on average £129.9 per litre for Shell.
Never seen it under £133.9 around Berkshire, although only gone there a handful of times... looking forward to stopping off at Costco on my way up north, cheap 99 RON :)

Reactions: GW1
I understand your point but still disagree.

I bought the car for its performance... having said that I still wondered just what consumption I was going to get in the real world.

You aren’t thrashing it all the tine so it’s a reasonable question.

I agree that if you are looking for economy then you have indeed selected the wrong car... but I think it’s a fair thing to ask.

Yeah I know exactly what car I have brought but I’m just curious about how many miles roughly people are getting to a tank. Just curious

Does nobody use Tesco momentum??

It’s 99 octane(higher than anything else) and is only about 3ppl more than standard unleaded!

Think I paid £1.24 at my last fill up.

By contrast my local Shell optimax is 98 octane and about 10ppl more!

320-350 depending on my recent average mpg at fill-up time. Once managed a 400 mile range after I'd been driving very economically.

It's rather soul-destroying when you stick £60+ worth of fuel in it and only get a 320 mile range in exchange. Basically, with spirited driving, you're looking at 20p/mile

It’s 99 octane(higher than anything else) and is only about 3ppl more than standard unleaded!

Higher octane won't provide any more power.

There are however, claims that it provides better economy but this is a grey area. There might be a very small improvement due to the burn efficiency of the higher octane but it's far more likely that the differences people have noticed are due to the higher octane fuel being pure, whereas all 95 octane unleaded in the UK contains 5% ethanol, which has been proven to reduce economy compared to pure fuel (we'll be going to 10% soon which will make it worse). Nowadays though, much of the higher octane stuff contains ethanol too and there's no way of knowing.

I am old enough to remember using 5 star In a small block V8 which we had Installed in a Ford Anglia. When it was running the fumes from the exhaust made your eyes water but that may have had something to with the fact that we added Nito Ethanol to the mix ha ha, gas masks were needed and we were also running a rootes super charger.

Last edited:
I try to, it's just a few miles out of my way, though the saving (compared to vPower) is worth it! I'm hoping Costco open a fuel station at my local one as I work minutes away..

Wish I could buy a few hundred litres and tank up at home :)

Higher octane won't provide any more power.

There are however, claims that it provides better economy but this is a grey area. There might be a very small improvement due to the burn efficiency of the higher octane but it's far more likely that the differences people have noticed are due to the higher octane fuel being pure, whereas all 95 octane unleaded in the UK contains 5% ethanol, which has been proven to reduce economy compared to pure fuel (we'll be going to 10% soon which will make it worse). Nowadays though, much of the higher octane stuff contains ethanol too and there's no way of knowing.

Well consider me more educated on the octane level.

It is still generally the cheapest “super” unleaded out there in my experience.

I try to, it's just a few miles out of my way though the saving is worth it compared to vPower !

Wish I could buy a few hundred litres and tank up at home :)

Sorry it is vpower- I referred to it as optimax which I presume is an old brand name!?

I’ve spent the last 10 years in diesels before my S3!!

Well consider me more educated on the octane level.

It is still generally the cheapest “super” unleaded out there in my experience.

I'm planning to do an experiment with a few tanks of Tesco Momentum to see if it makes any real world economy difference and, if so, whether it's enough to offset the cost.

As for actual power, only very few engines are capable of automatically adjusting their timing to take advantage of higher octane fuels. The vast majority are fixed to run on 95. Obviously some high performance cars are tuned specifically for 98+ and won't run on lower.

Shell V-power is 99 Ron and uses 5% ethernol and the rest is octane booster to get the octane to 99.

Tesco 99 use 10% ethernol to get the octane up which in turn needs to squirt more fuel in to get the same bang as shell V-Power.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Shell V-power is 99 Ron and uses 5% ethernol and the rest is octane booster to get the octane to 99.

Tesco 99 use 10% ethernol to get the octane up which in turn needs to squirt more fuel in to get the same bang as shell V-Power.

That’s interesting thanks for that info!

Out of interest without me being stupid - I've looked in the settings I can see and how are people getting their average MPG (without using fuelly?) - I only seem to get MPG per trip rather than a total MPG from a continual series of trips? Every time I go in the car unless I nipped out for 5 minutes before getting back in it resets?

Out of interest without me being stupid - I've looked in the settings I can see and how are people getting their average MPG (without using fuelly?) - I only seem to get MPG per trip rather than a total MPG from a continual series of trips? Every time I go in the car unless I nipped out for 5 minutes before getting back in it resets?

You have trip 1 which is the one that resets, but you have trip 2, which possibly can also be reset, but I’ve just left mine so that it represents my whole vehicle life mileage.

If that makes sense??

You have trip 1 which is the one that resets, but you have trip 2, which possibly can also be reset, but I’ve just left mine so that it represents my whole vehicle life mileage.

If that makes sense??

That kinda sounds like my previous vehicle, the only issue I have is how do I get trip 2 to show instead of the trip 1 that resets? Has this anything to do with the 0.0 button that I’ve never pressed?

That kinda sounds like my previous vehicle, the only issue I have is how do I get trip 2 to show instead of the trip 1 that resets? Has this anything to do with the 0.0 button that I’ve never pressed?

Not sure if you’re standard dials like me or virtual cockpit, but when viewing; date, range, trip 1 data etc.... you just scroll further down with the left hand roller button on your steering wheel.

Probably around 250-280 out of mine. The problem is my driving is mostly urban and it really is quite poo round town. Depending on the day it's anything from 18-25mpg, but to be honest I don't care as I love the thing and I only do low miles each year. On a run I can get in to the higher 30's easily and it does much better. I think my average since it was new is around 26mpg.

Average tank for me is probably somewhere around 280/300.

A few weeks ago I did a round trip of about 340 miles and averaged over 43mpg for that, and that specific tank did 430 miles. I felt dirty and will try to never see figures like that again!!

If you really mean to ask us all, then I get about 580. Sadly, not as much fun as an S3 though :p

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, Philip Davies and TYb
If you really mean to ask us all, then I get about 580. Sadly, not as much fun as an S3 though :p

Ive had well over 500 with DIS indicating over a 100 to go so could have had over 600 had I ran it to empty’ish (1.4T COD)