Replacing APY engine with APU

S3crankshaft

Reaction score
Hello again

My project is put on hold.

I am now considering replacing my APY engine with an APU.

What will this require of changes?
Should it be re-mapped?
And can the APU last for about 260 hp?

Thanks again.

Mika

I have been offered an APU engine from an Audi A4 that "should" fit?!?

See link.

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A4_B5

I would prefer to change my APY engine with a new APY engine. The challenge is just that the APY engine is about 20 years old and most likely worn down.

(The last APY engine worked for about 1 month!)

So now I consider a cheaper engine with lower miles, as example:

AGU, ARZ, ARX, AUM AJQ, APP, ARY, AUQ (A3 1.8T engine)

Is there any of these engines you would recommend to put in my S3 from 2001?

Mika

Years hardly do anything to engine, Mileage is what counts. How lot driven is your APY engine?
APY engine internals can handle easily 300hp.

inline engines are some differences example, oilpan, intake, exhaust manifold etc.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "How lot driven is your APY engine?"

The engine delivers about 260 hp

The last engine drove about 1000 miles, before it broke a rod bearing, and the crankshaft. (I could see the bearing earlier hafe been changed)

Apu is an inline engine is it not?

<tuffty/>

You mean agu? Or are you turning your car into a 747?

APU is a B5 A4 engine code. 1.8T with k03.
Similar to the later engines in the S3 and A3 that it has 20mm pins, ME7.5, wideband and VVT.
How suitable it is for an APY engine would be similar as transplanting an AMK or BAM into it I’d guess, providing it’s pointing the right way of course.

Reactions: S3crankshaft
When I googled it it came up with plane engines, I Didn’t think a a4 engine would fit as transverse and longitude engines thing,

Reactions: S3crankshaft and mattyy
APU appears to be an 058 block engine... this will not fit into an S3 engine bay without some effort I would imagine... block is based around the old valver stuff... not very modern at all and considering the amount of correct engines available a fairly pointless exercise

AGU, APX, APY, AMK, BAM, AYP are all common 20mm pinned 20v engines suitable for transplant... AUM is the common engine code from around 2001 on for K03 transverse cars... but these have the 19mm pinned rods... they are also crack rods with tangless bearings so generally best avoided for a straight swap...

Any of the 06A based transverse engines can be used as the basis for rods and pistons... even to the point you could arguably get away with using an AUM engine and swapping the APY pistons and rods over with new rings and bearings...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3crankshaft and mattyy
OK.

just to be sure.

Motors most suitable for a swap are:
1) APY
2) AMK, BAM
3) AGU, ARZ, ARX, AJQ, APP, ARY, AUQ, AUL, which of these engines will require at least work to make the swop? And can they handle to deliver 260 hp?

Motors to avoid are:
AUM, APU

Does the list look right? Or is there a better order?

I apologize for my many questions, which you probably have heard countless of times before.
I`ve haven't had any luck, using the search function.

Mika

APX is similar to an APY. Neither of these have VVT or an EGT sensor in the K04 turbo. I think they are both narrow band.

Reactions: S3crankshaft
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "How lot driven is your APY engine?"

The engine delivers about 260 hp

The last engine drove about 1000 miles, before it broke a rod bearing, and the crankshaft. (I could see the bearing earlier hafe been changed)

I mean mileage on engine. If it has been taken good care of and serviced on time and doesnt have retarded map/tune, that engine can handle a lot.
If you broke rod bearing, perhaps too lost stress to rods and they start to bend or too long without a service.

Some ridiculous tunes can break your car easily, specially conrods