High mileage S3

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve recently been flicking through ads considering an 8p S3. There seems to be some potential bargains of high mileage examples. Is there anything particularly expensive to go wrong on these at around 100-150k mark? I’m guessing turbo, clutch if they’ve not been done, anything else?

I ran a 420bhp 8L but I don’t know particularly much about the 8P so any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

I wouldn't personally go more than 100k on an S3, even then thats pushing it, but im sure many people have ran theirs passed that kinda mileage and can get a decent spec for a good price.

Having said that I've just bought a mk5 golf gti 2.0tfsi with 125k that is absolutely mint, sounds and runs better than my mates gti which has 80k miles!

If its been well looked after with low owners then can be a better buy than one with less than 100k !
Id look for:

Full service history (doesn't necessarily have to be main dealer)
If its auto would expect atleast 2 DSG/S-Tronic services if manual the clutch + flywheel changed
Cambelt and water pump twice as well maybe?
Cam follower changed at least a couple of times
Would expect some work to have been carried out on suspension (shocks, arms, springs ect)

Looking at mot history and advisories may also highlight some general issues.

Not every high mileage car is a bad buy as long as its been well maintained.
But also worth considering what the mileage will be when you come to sell as high milers are very slow sellers

Reactions: oldoiler
Yeah I’m having a flick through mot history to see what miles some of them are doing a year to get a better idea if it’s been sat on the motorway etc.

Theres a blue black edition S3 sportback on auto trader with 132k miles that has been on there over a year, but he is asking a bit too much tbh

This is just my personal opinion but mileage is not the car killer it used to be, engines are built to much better tolerances and oils are streets ahead of the old 20/50 that was used in days gone by.
The problem i think is audi build in a self destruct mechanism with their "long life " oil policy in the early life of their modern cars.
There is no such thing as long life oil full stop, it get dirty just as quick as short life oil in fact with Audis fuel pumps, DV's and injectors prone to dribble you cant emphasise the need to change the oil as often as possible/practical. With Stg 1 or 2 i would say every 6k miles.
The problem is most people that buy a new Audi will sell it in the first 3 years so oil changes and servicing are not their priority, saving a few bob with a flexible service schedule is.
Bottom line is i think the car will be as good as the guy that looked after it.

Footnote :)
I come from the world of motorbikes. My FZR1000 did 100k miles but had an oil change every 2k miles so 50 oil changes :~) which is normal on a high performance bike. Its a different mentality to car ownership but you do learn very quickly that oil is the life blood of your engine and the more performance you have the shorter the life of your oil.

Reactions: oldoiler and Omy193