Speakers upgrade

Tommy_Egan

Reaction score
Regret not going for the B&O option.. well it's done now.

Wondering if anyone has explored any aftermarket upgrades? Door speakers? Cost?

B&O is very desirable but it doesn't transform the car into an acoustic nirvana. The constraints are still the same and music still sounds basically shyte compared to a home set up.
Having said that you might be right considering speaker upgrades if the cost is sensible.

B&O is very desirable but it doesn't transform the car into an acoustic nirvana. The constraints are still the same and music still sounds basically shyte compared to a home set up.
Having said that you might be right considering speaker upgrades if the cost is sensible.

Bose in my previous C7 was awesome!

I'm hoping speakers would be plug and play

Reactions: Ioan Furdui
Bose in my previous C7 was awesome!

I'm hoping speakers would be plug and play
Lack of power is your problem - the B&O system comes with an external amp, all other options rely on the (weedy) head unit output, which is going to be the limiting factor.

There's a few threads on here about retrofitting B&O - not sure if anyone has completed it yet. Personally I'd only bother if I could fit the amp as well, which (if it's possible) will involve some rewiring and coding.

You could add an aftermarket amplifier and speakers for less money than a B&O retrofit; shouldn't be too hard if you know what you're doing but not going to be plug and play.

Reactions: blackb9er and Tommy_Egan
Depends what you are expecting to achieve as to whether this is a worth while expenditure of your time and money. If you have a good home sound system (i.e. not Sonos or Bose, but rather a Hi-Fi seperates system comprising of good brands such as Elac, Linn, B&W, Tannoy etc) - then you are really going to struggle to ever achieve the kind of audio quality you can achieve through these systems. You can match them on outright volume, and you can get a lot of bass (but low in quality). But you are not going to achieve the clear stereo soundfield, the clarity, the timbre and imaging.

The car is an inherently terrible place to try to establish good sound quality. Practically everything about a car is working against you. The doors where the speaker drivers are mounted are flexible, even in a good quality car like an audi. Push on the door panel and it will move. The same happens when you push a speaker hard, much of the energy will go into flexing the door panel rather than moving the speaker cone. This is very undesirable. There is a reason expensive speakers have large, heavy, solid enclosures. The doors are also obviously not designed or braced properly to be a speaker, there are all sorts of bad, crazy vibrations, standing waves and pressure variances inside the door when speakers are running. In the best in car audio systems such as in Rolls Royce's, Bentleys, or even the Audi A8 , they try and alleviate this to some extent by having a dedicated speaker driver enclosure for every speaker driver in the car(which is partly why the B&O in that car costs £5k), this helps a lot as opposed to freely suspending the speaker drivers in the door panel as per 99% of car audio systems including the B9's B&O system.

This is not to mention the lack of clean power supply from a car, the vibrations from poorly fitting door panels, the lack of anywhere good to place the speakers in a proper stereo configuration, the resonance from the car's body, the vibration from the engine and road, the interference from all the other electronics in the car.. the list goes on and on. You can have a good sounding system in a car by spending a lot of money, but you can probably match the bespoke audio system in a Rolls Royce for 1/10th the price with a home system, and it will still be better than the Rolls Royce system in some ways. So if you have an appreciation for all of the above, then the cheapest and simplest options is to not even try, because achieving anything great will be extremely expensive and difficult.

If all you want is something "pretty decent" that will go loud and not distort, then you can reasonably expect to achieve that by just upgrading the car amplifier, throw in some decent after market speakers and add a bunch more anti vibration and sound insulating material to the door panels.

I say all that having ordered the B&O myself. There is no way I am going to attempt a custom audio job myself, and the B&O should atleast provide passable audio quality. Some here do not seem content with it, but I suspect atleast one of the following is true: They are choosing a bad audio source 2) They are using low bit rate files 3) They have not allowed 50+ hours for the system to bed in 4) They do not know what true Hi Fi actually sounds like, and prefer smiley face EQ'd consumer speakers like Bose where there is a whole lot of bass and not a lot else.

Or maybe the B&O system really does suck, I will found out soon enough :)

Reactions: A4A4, paul wev and Nickfrog
That's what I was trying to say but I don't know that many words ;-)

Reactions: mister.c., Kakatk, paul wev and 1 other person
That's what I was trying to say but I don't know that many words ;-)

Haha. There are a lot of vacuous crappy terms in the hifi / audiophile (I hate that word) industry. You hear some remarkable things if you are in that world... I have seen £100k amplifiers claim to suspend their digital electronics in the amplifier enclosure to keep it free from physical noise vibrations. I've also seen people claim to run their systems an hour before using them to "align the electrons in the right direction". Some absolutely amazing completely rubbish info and quotes floating around from self professed audiophiles who will spend £2k on a 1 meter digital tos-link cable :D

Reactions: paul wev
Depends what you are expecting to achieve as to whether this is a worth while expenditure of your time and money. If you have a good home sound system (i.e. not Sonos or Bose, but rather a Hi-Fi seperates system comprising of good brands such as Elac, Linn, B&W, Tannoy etc) - then you are really going to struggle to ever achieve the kind of audio quality you can achieve through these systems. You can match them on outright volume, and you can get a lot of bass (but low in quality). But you are not going to achieve the clear stereo soundfield, the clarity, the timbre and imaging.

The car is an inherently terrible place to try to establish good sound quality. Practically everything about a car is working against you. The doors where the speaker drivers are mounted are flexible, even in a good quality car like an audi. Push on the door panel and it will move. The same happens when you push a speaker hard, much of the energy will go into flexing the door panel rather than moving the speaker cone. This is very undesirable. There is a reason expensive speakers have large, heavy, solid enclosures. The doors are also obviously not designed or braced properly to be a speaker, there are all sorts of bad, crazy vibrations, standing waves and pressure variances inside the door when speakers are running. In the best in car audio systems such as in Rolls Royce's, Bentleys, or even the Audi A8 , they try and alleviate this to some extent by having a dedicated speaker driver enclosure for every speaker driver in the car(which is partly why the B&O in that car costs £5k), this helps a lot as opposed to freely suspending the speaker drivers in the door panel as per 99% of car audio systems including the B9's B&O system.

This is not to mention the lack of clean power supply from a car, the vibrations from poorly fitting door panels, the lack of anywhere good to place the speakers in a proper stereo configuration, the resonance from the car's body, the vibration from the engine and road, the interference from all the other electronics in the car.. the list goes on and on. You can have a good sounding system in a car by spending a lot of money, but you can probably match the bespoke audio system in a Rolls Royce for 1/10th the price with a home system, and it will still be better than the Rolls Royce system in some ways. So if you have an appreciation for all of the above, then the cheapest and simplest options is to not even try, because achieving anything great will be extremely expensive and difficult.

If all you want is something "pretty decent" that will go loud and not distort, then you can reasonably expect to achieve that by just upgrading the car amplifier, throw in some decent after market speakers and add a bunch more anti vibration and sound insulating material to the door panels.

I say all that having ordered the B&O myself. There is no way I am going to attempt a custom audio job myself, and the B&O should atleast provide passable audio quality. Some here do not seem content with it, but I suspect atleast one of the following is true: They are choosing a bad audio source 2) They are using low bit rate files 3) They have not allowed 50+ hours for the system to bed in 4) They do not know what true Hi Fi actually sounds like, and prefer smiley face EQ'd consumer speakers like Bose where there is a whole lot of bass and not a lot else.

Or maybe the B&O system really does suck, I will found out soon enough :)
Thank you for such an extensive reply, I suppose I should just be happy with what I’ve got? ((B+O with Alpine sub box)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the B&O found it lacking bass. It'll be easy to add a amplifier as the battery is under the boot. And the amp is on the left hand side compartment. You could add a amp in that part but will mean cutting wires etc. I've added a sub to my car. Was quite easy, I T off the stock subwoofer wires to power a line out converter(lc2i) which then gave me rcas for the sub. If it's bass you're looking for I can help with that. But adding a amp just for the speakers seems like a long process

I've got the B&O found it lacking bass. It'll be easy to add a amplifier as the battery is under the boot. And the amp is on the left hand side compartment. You could add a amp in that part but will mean cutting wires etc. I've added a sub to my car. Was quite easy, I T off the stock subwoofer wires to power a line out converter(lc2i) which then gave me rcas for the sub. If it's bass you're looking for I can help with that. But adding a amp just for the speakers seems like a long process

See these are the kind of opinions on B&O I find surprising. I am not saying you are wrong, everyone has an audio profile they like and are 100% entitled to that and to have their own opinion. But, I have a Seat Leon with the "Seat Sound Pack" which from what I can tell, is identical to the lower spec "Audi Sound System" which is 10 speakers & 180 watts. The bass is pretty low quality, but there is more than enough of it, too much often in fact. I have to turn the bass down. So I find it surprising that a system with more speakers and more power, that people are saying there is not enough bass.

Are you someone that typically loves really bass heavy sound systems ? E.g. Beats headphones, Bose / Sonos speakers etc ?. Which is totally fine, a lot of people love lots bass. It's definitely good fun!

It's just that typically, the more money you spend on high end audio, the "flatter" the frequency response of the speakers. By that I mean they do not boost the bass beyond how the track was mastered. So I am trying to figure out if B&O have EQ'd their car system to be quite flat (which is considered a good thing in the Hi Fi world), and most people just happen to not like that because they're used to the 'smiley face' EQ curve ? (see description of it from Wikipedia below)

"A smiley face curve (also known as "mid scoop")[1] in audio signal processing, is a target frequency response curve characterized by boosted low and high frequencies coupled with reduced midrange frequency power. This curve is often attained by users employing a graphic equalizer which shows a graphic representation of a "smile" using its frequency band faders to describe a curve that sweeps upward at the left and right sides.

Smiley face curves have had a popular appeal with some car audio enthusiasts, disc jockeys, electric bass guitar players, home stereo owners and live sound reinforcement system operators"

Kman, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the B&O

I hope so. I am a real hi-fi enthusiast, so I hope it is not ridiculously bass heavy with horrible boomy flabby bass. But I suspect it might be as that is what most people like (see above). Fingers crossed !

See these are the kind of opinions on B&O I find surprising. I am not saying you are wrong, everyone has an audio profile they like and are 100% entitled to that and to have their own opinion. But, I have a Seat Leon with the "Seat Sound Pack" which from what I can tell, is identical to the lower spec "Audi Sound System" which is 10 speakers & 180 watts. The bass is pretty low quality, but there is more than enough of it, too much often in fact. I have to turn the bass down. So I find it surprising that a system with more speakers and more power, that people are saying there is not enough bass.

Are you someone that typically loves really bass heavy sound systems ? E.g. Beats headphones, Bose / Sonos speakers etc ?. Which is totally fine, a lot of people love lots bass. It's definitely good fun!

It's just that typically, the more money you spend on high end audio, the "flatter" the frequency response of the speakers. By that I mean they do not boost the bass beyond how the track was mastered. So I am trying to figure out if B&O have EQ'd their car system to be quite flat (which is considered a good thing in the Hi Fi world), and most people just happen to not like that because they're used to the 'smiley face' EQ curve ? (see description of it from Wikipedia below)

"A smiley face curve (also known as "mid scoop")[1] in audio signal processing, is a target frequency response curve characterized by boosted low and high frequencies coupled with reduced midrange frequency power. This curve is often attained by users employing a graphic equalizer which shows a graphic representation of a "smile" using its frequency band faders to describe a curve that sweeps upward at the left and right sides.

Smiley face curves have had a popular appeal with some car audio enthusiasts, disc jockeys, electric bass guitar players, home stereo owners and live sound reinforcement system operators"

I hope so. I am a real hi-fi enthusiast, so I hope it is not ridiculously bass heavy with horrible boomy flabby bass. But I suspect it might be as that is what most people like (see above). Fingers crossed !

I mean it's a good sound system. I've just had many problems with it. Having had the door bass speakers replaced over 7 times it's not what I expected of a b&o system. But Oh well. Yes I prefer a bit of bass which the car provides but the sub just adds that extra which I much prefer.

Haha I've got sony XBR950 headphones. They sounded 100x better than any similar beats.

I know with many after market headunits you can adjust eq etc. Would have been nice to have that with the b&o system but I guess there's a reason as to why there's not.

Some people say as a system the b&o doesn't hit all the notes as well as it should? I haven't found any issues with it in that regard.

I've got B&O in my S4 and I'd say it's comparible to the Bose in my old A6 (which was surprisingly good for what it was). I would say the bass is about right - not heavy but not too light either. If you turn off all the "3D sound" garbage and fade everything to the front it's perfectly acceptable. Yes, the sound isn't good as aftermarket systems I've fitted in the past, but I can't justify hundreds of hours of fabrication and a boot full of equipment these days! My main gripe is resonance - something always rattles or buzzes when you turn the volume up.

Interesting you find the 180 watt sound system acceptable. My wife's A3 has it and it's awful at anything above modest volume - it sounds like the low end is automatically rolled off to prevent distortion as the volume increases, and even the treble gets thin and scratchy.

Some people will always say there isn't enough bass, but a factory fitted audio system is going to have compromises, particularly with sub size and placement. An 8" sub in a plastic box with <100w RMS (as per my old A6) is fine, but it's never going to vibrate your chest - a 12" sub with 500w or more will start to do that, but then you won't have much boot space left!

I mean it's a good sound system. I've just had many problems with it. Having had the door bass speakers replaced over 7 times it's not what I expected of a b&o system. But Oh well. Yes I prefer a bit of bass which the car provides but the sub just adds that extra which I much prefer.

Haha I've got sony XBR950 headphones. They sounded 100x better than any similar beats.

I know with many after market headunits you can adjust eq etc. Would have been nice to have that with the b&o system but I guess there's a reason as to why there's not.

Some people say as a system the b&o doesn't hit all the notes as well as it should? I haven't found any issues with it in that regard.

7 times!? - ouch. Do you drive them quite hard ? I like music fairly loud but I rarely go much past half volume as it begins to sound quite bad, at least with my current car system. Certainly hoping I don't go through 7 speakers...

It sounds like you prefer more bass than I do, so I will probably be more than happy with the B&O bass output.

I've got B&O in my S4 and I'd say it's comparible to the Bose in my old A6 (which was surprisingly good for what it was). I would say the bass is about right - not heavy but not too light either. If you turn off all the "3D sound" garbage and fade everything to the front it's perfectly acceptable. Yes, the sound isn't good as aftermarket systems I've fitted in the past, but I can't justify hundreds of hours of fabrication and a boot full of equipment these days! My main gripe is resonance - something always rattles or buzzes when you turn the volume up.

Interesting you find the 180 watt sound system acceptable. My wife's A3 has it and it's awful at anything above modest volume - it sounds like the low end is automatically rolled off to prevent distortion as the volume increases, and even the treble gets thin and scratchy.

Some people will always say there isn't enough bass, but a factory fitted audio system is going to have compromises, particularly with sub size and placement. An 8" sub in a plastic box with <100w RMS (as per my old A6) is fine, but it's never going to vibrate your chest - a 12" sub with 500w or more will start to do that, but then you won't have much boot space left!

I think the 10 speaker system is acceptable up to about 50% volume. After that it distorts quite badly. My Leon also has door cards rattling, especially the passenger side. I tend to avoid it by not listening to really bass heavy tracks. I like pretty much all genres of music, from Drum & Bass to Dance, to classical and jazz music. I try and focus on the latter two while in the car to avoid too much rattling. Normally I am more than happy to listen to laid back music like that as i'm stressed from work and bad traffic lol! :rockwoot::whistle2:

I find the B&O okay, but always struggle to find the correct format/settings for B&O sound.

Same track can sound different when listening via CD, DAB, Jukebox, iPod or SD card.

What the best format to listen too?

I find the B&O okay, but always struggle to find the correct format/settings for B&O sound.

Same track can sound different when listening via CD, DAB, Jukebox, iPod or SD card.

What the best format to listen too?

CD and SD Card can store lossless files, so technically those two if you copy lossless / raw files to them (FLAC, WAV etc). DAB radio is low bit rate, so will sound worst. iPod is compressed, but if you bought the music on iTunes, is still high quality (256Kbps AAC) - just not quite as good as WAV or FLAC, though you'd be *very* hard pressed to tell the difference.

7 times!? - ouch. Do you drive them quite hard ? I like music fairly loud but I rarely go much past half volume as it begins to sound quite bad, at least with my current car system. Certainly hoping I don't go through 7 speakers...

It sounds like you prefer more bass than I do, so I will probably be more than happy with the B&O bass output.

I think the 10 speaker system is acceptable up to about 50% volume. After that it distorts quite badly. My Leon also has door cards rattling, especially the passenger side. I tend to avoid it by not listening to really bass heavy tracks. I like pretty much all genres of music, from Drum & Bass to Dance, to classical and jazz music. I try and focus on the latter two while in the car to avoid too much rattling. Normally I am more than happy to listen to laid back music like that as i'm stressed from work and bad traffic lol! :rockwoot::whistle2:
Well I've let them "run in" for 40hours plus. I don't turn the bass up on the speakers they stay on 0, I have volume around 3/

here's what the bass speakers look like

Attachments

• IMG-20180225-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20180225-WA0002.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,757
Well I've let them "run in" for 40hours plus. I don't turn the bass up on the speakers they stay on 0, I have volume around 3/

here's what the bass speakers look like

Fair enough. I didn't expect them to be that shape...

I wonder if you have a faulty amp that keeps blowing the bass speaker or something ?

Fair enough. I didn't expect them to be that shape...

I wonder if you have a faulty amp that keeps blowing the bass speaker or something ?
Neither did I when I took the doorscard off was really surprised.

Audi have checked the whole system and they said the amp is not at fault. Feel the next I'm getting is going to have the standard system and I'll get it done properly

Referring to the audi sound system (10 speakers) does anybody know if the amplifier filters frequencies. I.e. does it filter only low frequencies to the subwoofer or send the full signal.

So I did some digging... B&O have little to nothing to do with the B&O systems in Audi cars. With the exception of providing their special tweeters in the A6/7/8 that rise up from the dash, none of the other speakers in the car are designed or manufactured by B&O.

All the speakers in Audi's cars are manufactured by a company called ASK Group from Poland, from the standard systems, to Audi Sound System, to B&O.

More bad news, the speakers in the B&O and Audi Sound System are basically the same. I matched pictures of the speakers from the Audi system to the B&O and compared them to the speaker pictures on the ASK manufacturers site. They use the same line and grade speakers, with the exception of the front two woofers. So when you upgrade to B&O, here is what you pay for: Two presumably slightly better speaker units in the front door, and then 9 additional smaller speakers that are the exact same as the ones in the Audi Sound System, and from what I can tell, even the base system. Then you get a better amplifier too.

Even more bad news :D ... the B&O and Audi Sound System in the A4 B9 use ASK Groups base model speakers called the "Standard" range. Surprise surprise, when you look at the £5k system in the Audi A6 upwards, it uses speakers from ASK Group too, but this time their "Premium" range.

So the reason the B&O sounds "better" than the Audi Sound System is this: They use more of the same base model speaker from ASK Group, and a more powerful amplifier. You do not get actually better quality & design speakers (other than perhaps the two in the front door - but I can't verify they are better, just different). But by having more speakers and a more powerful amplifier, it just allows them to push less power to each speaker to achieve the same overall sound pressure level (volume) in the car. There is one clear advantage with this, the less power you have to drive each speaker to get to a certain volume, the less distortion there will be. Speakers distort when they reach their maximum excursion and start clipping, and 'slapping'. By having more speakers you can move each individual one less, resulting in less distortion for any given volume over the lower end speaker systems.

I imagine this is replicated across the entire automotive industry. Ever wondered why high end car audio systems have 20 + speaker drivers ? well now you know. They can achieve high volume and low distortion while still using relatively cheap speaker drivers. This is probably easier and cheaper for them to implement than actually upgrading the speaker drivers themselves. There are companies like Accuton and Dynaudio that sell car speakers that cost around £1000 per unit (though car manufacturers would get a bulk deal). I would be interested to see if any of the high end car companies like Bentley go down this route with actual high quality speakers rather than quantity over quality.

http://www.askgroup.it/speakers

Reactions: h1r4, Gazwould and A4A4
So I did some digging... B&O have little to nothing to do with the B&O systems in Audi cars. With the exception of providing their special tweeters in the A6/7/8 that rise up from the dash, none of the other speakers in the car are designed or manufactured by B&O.

All the speakers in Audi's cars are manufactured by a company called ASK Group from Poland, from the standard systems, to Audi Sound System, to B&O.

More bad news, the speakers in the B&O and Audi Sound System are basically the same. I matched pictures of the speakers from the Audi system to the B&O and compared them to the speaker pictures on the ASK manufacturers site. They use the same line and grade speakers, with the exception of the front two woofers. So when you upgrade to B&O, here is what you pay for: Two presumably slightly better speaker units in the front door, and then 9 additional smaller speakers that are the exact same as the ones in the Audi Sound System, and from what I can tell, even the base system. Then you get a better amplifier too.

Even more bad news :D ... the B&O and Audi Sound System in the A4 B9 use ASK Groups base model speakers called the "Standard" range. Surprise surprise, when you look at the £5k system in the Audi A6 upwards, it uses speakers from ASK Group too, but this time their "Premium" range.

So the reason the B&O sounds "better" than the Audi Sound System is this: They use more of the same base model speaker from ASK Group, and a more powerful amplifier. You do not get actually better quality & design speakers (other than perhaps the two in the front door - but I can't verify they are better, just different). But by having more speakers and a more powerful amplifier, it just allows them to push less power to each speaker to achieve the same overall sound pressure level (volume) in the car. There is one clear advantage with this, the less power you have to drive each speaker to get to a certain volume, the less distortion there will be. Speakers distort when they reach their maximum excursion and start clipping, and 'slapping'. By having more speakers you can move each individual one less, resulting in less distortion for any given volume over the lower end speaker systems.

I imagine this is replicated across the entire automotive industry. Ever wondered why high end car audio systems have 20 + speaker drivers ? well now you know. They can achieve high volume and low distortion while still using relatively cheap speaker drivers. This is probably easier and cheaper for them to implement than actually upgrading the speaker drivers themselves. There are companies like Accuton and Dynaudio that sell car speakers that cost around £1000 per unit (though car manufacturers would get a bulk deal). I would be interested to see if any of the high end car companies like Bentley go down this route with actual high quality speakers rather than quantity over quality.

Sounds like the B&O means a Bad Option to pick

Reactions: h1r4
Well I'm not overly impressed with it to be honest. I think I've either been spoiled in other cars or this B&O just inst up to much. There is good separation but the 3D sound is a bit of a gimmick, nothing changes even with my 3d encoded sound track Kraftwerk albums. The centre channel speaker cover vibrates, the front left door main speaker grill vibrates. I think I had the amplifier clipping last week too. Obviously depending on the source I can get get some different or better results but its not that great. At home I have Rotel Amplifiers, power, preamp etc so I know a good system is limited to the acoustics of the car but its really not worth a £1000. Even with changing the Focus to the Front rather than All, noting changes. I've switched off all the DSP surround sound stuff and it basically has the same effect of the TONE bypass button you get on some home amplifiers.......

Reactions: h1r4 and kmanmx
Well I'm not overly impressed with it to be honest. I think I've either been spoiled in other cars or this B&O just inst up to much. There is good separation but the 3D sound is a bit of a gimmick, nothing changes even with my 3d encoded sound track Kraftwerk albums. The centre channel speaker cover vibrates, the front left door main speaker grill vibrates. I think I had the amplifier clipping last week too. Obviously depending on the source I can get get some different or better results but its not that great. At home I have Rotel Amplifiers, power, preamp etc so I know a good system is limited to the acoustics of the car but its really not worth a £1000. Even with changing the Focus to the Front rather than All, noting changes. I've switched off all the DSP surround sound stuff and it basically has the same effect of the TONE bypass button you get on some home amplifiers.......

3D sound absolutely is a joke. There is not a single high quality stereo hifi on earth that claims or tries to produce this "3D Sound" rubbish.

I really wish I was some mega billionaire. I'd create a car brand that actually just put two dedicated floor to dash speaker enclosures at the end of each side of the dashboard, with a couple of high quality 6.5" woofers and a tweeters per enclosure...it would actually be good, and i'd charge at a rate that delivered 10% profit margin. I am pretty sure the likes of Audi and Mercedes make more like 80% profit margin (Charge £1000 for a £200 system).

For what it's worth with the vibrations, a few people have fixed this themselves by adding some more padding to parts of the door and speaker trim, and others have got the Audi dealer to sort it for them.

Reactions: h1r4

Personally I'd rather save a few hundred quid and have the same system without a B&O badge. All it means is B&O get a cut because their marketing department approved it!

I think you're being a bit harsh on the system - car speaker drivers have different requirements to home ones (environmentals, impedance) so it's no surprise B&O don't manufacture anything themselves. The important thing is the system has a proper amplifier, which will make a huge difference to perceived quality - the lesser options rely on the head unit, which outputs about 12w RMS per channel (maybe 20w for the sub) on a good day, and that's just not sufficient.

The B&O may use "standard" drivers, but that doesn't automatically mean they're rubbish. For a start they've got more power, and could be using different enclosures to the basic system. For example, the woofers in the doors look like they've got dedicated enclosures, whereas the normal ones might be running free air. With more power available, they can also play with EQ and crossover points to improve things in the B&O system. I know the Bose system in the A6 runs the front drivers actively (tweeters and woofers have their own dedicated amp channel), whereas the standard system used a passive crossover, and that's another way of getting more out of the same speakers - the B&O may well be the same.

Ultimately the option cost £750 (when you could buy it separately). Assuming half of that is Audi's profit/R&D/licencing cut for B&O, that leaves under £400 to upgrade the car's speakers and amp. A high end 2 channel car amp or decent pair of component speakers will cost that much on their own, so it's no surprise that Audi keep some components the same as the stock system. If B&O is an improvement over stock (I think it is) then it's done its job. It could be better if they dropped the branding, 3D sound and obsession with adding hundreds of speakers, but that's marketing for you!

The alternative is to rip out the audi system and install a decent set of components up front, a 10" or 12" sub and a couple of amps to run it. Done properly, that will sound fantastic, but good quality parts will cost more than £750, and installation will take some time. A truly top end system would involve fabricating properly aimed speaker enclosures for the front of the car, and adding more amps and some signal processing for active crossover, EQ and time correction. Done right, that will sound stunning (despite having "only" 5 or 7 speakers), but it'll cost a few grand for the parts, change the look of the interior, and take months to build and setup. Having done that before (and loved everything but the lack of luggage space!) I'm now at the stage where I want something that's good enough, and just works, and the B&O fulfils that brief for me. Horse for courses and all that.

Reactions: BigAardvaark and paul wev
Like hellodave, the B&O does it for me and this is the first car I've had with the premium audio option (had a good few) that I haven't felt the need to add something to it or even rip things out and replace them. I've got it set up just to my liking and am very happy with it. It won't win any SPL competitions but the fidelity, range and half decent imaging is all there once you've delved into the setup properly.

Personally I'd rather save a few hundred quid and have the same system without a B&O badge. All it means is B&O get a cut because their marketing department approved it!

I think you're being a bit harsh on the system - car speaker drivers have different requirements to home ones (environmentals, impedance) so it's no surprise B&O don't manufacture anything themselves. The important thing is the system has a proper amplifier, which will make a huge difference to perceived quality - the lesser options rely on the head unit, which outputs about 12w RMS per channel (maybe 20w for the sub) on a good day, and that's just not sufficient.

The B&O may use "standard" drivers, but that doesn't automatically mean they're rubbish. For a start they've got more power, and could be using different enclosures to the basic system. For example, the woofers in the doors look like they've got dedicated enclosures, whereas the normal ones might be running free air. With more power available, they can also play with EQ and crossover points to improve things in the B&O system. I know the Bose system in the A6 runs the front drivers actively (tweeters and woofers have their own dedicated amp channel), whereas the standard system used a passive crossover, and that's another way of getting more out of the same speakers - the B&O may well be the same.

Ultimately the option cost £750 (when you could buy it separately). Assuming half of that is Audi's profit/R&D/licencing cut for B&O, that leaves under £400 to upgrade the car's speakers and amp. A high end 2 channel car amp or decent pair of component speakers will cost that much on their own, so it's no surprise that Audi keep some components the same as the stock system. If B&O is an improvement over stock (I think it is) then it's done its job. It could be better if they dropped the branding, 3D sound and obsession with adding hundreds of speakers, but that's marketing for you!

The alternative is to rip out the audi system and install a decent set of components up front, a 10" or 12" sub and a couple of amps to run it. Done properly, that will sound fantastic, but good quality parts will cost more than £750, and installation will take some time. A truly top end system would involve fabricating properly aimed speaker enclosures for the front of the car, and adding more amps and some signal processing for active crossover, EQ and time correction. Done right, that will sound stunning (despite having "only" 5 or 7 speakers), but it'll cost a few grand for the parts, change the look of the interior, and take months to build and setup. Having done that before (and loved everything but the lack of luggage space!) I'm now at the stage where I want something that's good enough, and just works, and the B&O fulfils that brief for me. Horse for courses and all that.

Like hellodave, the B&O does it for me and this is the first car I've had with the premium audio option (had a good few) that I haven't felt the need to add something to it or even rip things out and replace them. I've got it set up just to my liking and am very happy with it. It won't win any SPL competitions but the fidelity, range and half decent imaging is all there once you've delved into the setup properly.

Oh I don't doubt it sounds pretty good - I have specced it after all on my B9 order. My current car has the 10 speaker 180 watt system and I think it is okay, certainly better than a lot of car audio systems. I guess I was really just surprised at two things: That they used the same speakers as the lower end Audi Sound System, and that even with the B&O being a £750 option, the speakers from the provider are still their base model.

What setup are you using by the way BigAardvaark ? would be interested to try your settings out myself when I get my A4 :)

I'll take some notes next time I can think on for you but most folk think I go for too little treble

Reactions: paul wev and kmanmx
The thing that gets me is all the options that were available on my B8 simple and got good setup I liked.
Treble Bass and Sub as well as simple balance and fader!

Why do I now not have a option for Sub? New system seems to only utilise the sub at high volume..

According to audi it's in with the bass control on the a4 and makes no difference to the sound, having said that it returned with later mmi firmware...