Facelift AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

1future

Black Edition
Reaction score
Whatever you do.. DO NOT go to Tesco Bank Car Insurance.

there’s 1 thing good about them, after I had a non fault accident at 11pm on the 5/2/2018 they were on the phone straight away because my black box had detected an accident.

Now, I called the claim line next day and explained everything to an adviser, he was pretty helpful but sounded like he wanted to go homei knew that it was a write off just by looking at my poor baby because the airbags had gone off and the centre pillar was bent in more ways than 1! Anyway, the repair centre that was handling the assessment got the car in 3 days. I had to go to Nottingham from Stoke just to collect the courtesy car they arranged for me whilst my car was waiting to be assessed, which is a good hours drive (stepdad had to take me)

Of course when I get there the courtesy car has barely any fuel and is not clean whatsoever, just those stupid paper mats in the footwell. Alls well and good and i had the car for 7 days so I was able to get to work (this is the only way to get to work for me) then i got a call on the 5th day asking for the courtesy car to be returned that saturday. Unhappy that there was no delivery/pick up.

I then got onto tesco about giving me a hire car on the following monday. The adviser knew my age because i’d told her as a data protection question. (18) She just passed me onto enterprise, which i can’t get a hire car from because you have to be either 21 or 25? so they then passed me onto their sister company “vision” who then said that they couldn’t give me a hire car as it was “being disputed that i was racing” now, when i eventually got out of the car the woman that hit me said to me “it’s alright darling i know what to do this is the 2nd crash i’ve caused in 2 weeks” so naturally, i told tesco that because she’s admitted liability to my face. For her to then go and have the audacity to claim that I was racing when 1. she couldn’t actually see me until i was turning right across her path 2. there is a speed camera just some 50yards down the road from where it happened. 3. I was at a red light in the right hand lane waiting for the green filter light. There was a car in front of me that had to give way to an oncoming car as the light was green but the filter light hadn’t come on yet. The filter light comes on so i follow the person in front, only to be t-boned and spun 90degrees by this red light running bint!!

So as a result of tesco not providing me with any sort of hire car or courtesy car i’ve lost my job. i don’t have a car and i’m still paying for the car I don’t have. They’ve ordered me a replacement car which won’t get here until “early june”.

Any suggestions? I’m really stuck.

Going to take it to citizens advice and possibly the ombudsman.

P.S I have just checked the documents on my Portal and they have got the transmission wrong. Is there anything I could do about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brings memories of a shunt I had 25 years ago. A young lad of 18 years old in his mum's car T boned my car after he ran a red light, I had to cross 4 lanes of traffic which had just stopped for their red light, he was in the fifth lane. My car was a write off. The other driver lied through his teeth and stated the light was green for him. It was going to be a he said she said affair until a witness who was behind me informed and stated to the police and confirmed actually what happened. The other driver was charged with running a red light and and that was the end of it.
The point I am trying to make is unless you have witness who remained at the scene and gave evidence to the cops or have a video of the affair showing you have a green filter light, the insurance companies will probably assign 55/50 blame. The one thing you have is how can she state you were racing as she was on a different section of the road and is obviously fibbing to save her neck.
Did the police attend the accident and did you take photos of the accident scene? Photos can prove impact speed etc.

Reactions: 1future
Didn't your box record your driving up to that point and if you were stationary at the time of impact?
Surely you should be more concerned about keeping your job. Couldn't you buy a cheap runabout to get to work?

Unfortunately if you don't pay extra for a coutesy car on your insurance most insurance companies will not pay for a coutesy car in these circumstances. And courtesy cars never have much petrol in them.
Surely there is something that you can do to keep your job, like getting a cheapo runabout.
Good luck.

I avoid Tesco FULL STOP.

Reactions: 4K and 1future
Don’t these boxes log your speed etc which would prove you were not racing?

Hope it all works out for you and sorry you have lost your job.

Your employer does not seem great if they would not allow you a few days off to sort things out.

Not sure the insurance company have that much to be blamed for apart from the usual level of incompetence all insurance companies run with.... one good call centre person traded off against an equal number of bad ones

Does seem that you have been given some poor advice from friends and family maybe........

You should have thought about a cheap runabout to get to work

Should have read the policy docs before deciding on any course of action as Irrespective of insurance company most courtesy cars are only supplied while car is in repair or until it’s been declared a total loss.

Maybe you should have taken the cash for a total loss rather agree to wait 14 weeks for a new build.

Some tough lessons maybe but you are a young lad and you will bounce back I am sure

Reactions: 4K, 1future and Joe4842
Sorry to hear this and hope you get it sorted soon. Lesson for us all here to be learnt perhaps, install a dash cam. £100 well spent at Halfords would have absolved you of any wrongdoing. I know this doesn't help you now, but you have given me motivation to have one fitted as this could happen to any of us.

Whatever you do.. DO NOT go to Tesco Bank Car Insurance.

So as a result of tesco not providing me with any sort of hire car or courtesy car i’ve lost my job. i don’t have a car and i’m still paying for the car I don’t have. They’ve ordered me a replacement car which won’t get here until “early june”.

Any suggestions? I’m really stuck.

Going to take it to citizens advice and possibly the ombudsman.

P.S I have just checked the documents on my Portal and they have got the transmission wrong. Is there anything I could do about that?

First off. Sorry that you've been in a crash. Never good.

Have you actually lost your job then? Why would you allow this to happen. As you didn't get a courtesy car, if it was me, I'd have gone straight onto Autotrader, found the cheapest car I could find that still had decent MOT, and bought it. Taxed and insured it, and made sure I didn't lose my job.

As for the transmission on the replacement car. Phone up and change it, simples. They've made the error, get them to put it right.

The problem when you're young, is that if you are involved in an accident, even if the other person caused it, they know because of your age, if there is any dispute, you'll get the blame. You were speeding, driving dangerously, racing etc. While a lady in her 40's is classed and a safe driver (which she may not be), anyone under the age of 25, is always classed as a boy racer.

Sorry to hear of the accident, sounds like a nightmare.

However I would be careful about contacting them about the incorrect transmission as it is up to the customer to check all documents before agreeing to the contract. Here is what it says on my policy proposal.

You must check this document carefully because it is your record of the information you have provided and we have used this to assess the risk we are undertaking. Once you have checked this document, if any information is found to be incorrect, please contact us immediately. Failure to notify us of corrections or changes could mean we do not pay your claim.

Reactions: DrMal and 1future
I understood he meant in the order for the replacement. I agree, if it is on the insurance docs, best to keep quiet at the moment.

On the plus side, you might get an S-Tronic upgrade for free! or if you had an S-Tronic then you might get a manual..... which sucks!! haha!

Reactions: Rahmon_22, 1future and Jimbo10
Quote:- "Sorry to hear this and hope you get it sorted soon. Lesson for us all here to be learnt perhaps, install a dash cam. £100 well spent at Halfords would have absolved you of any wrongdoing. I know this doesn't help you now, but you have given me motivation to have one fitted as this could happen to any of us."

Are you sure a dash cam would've had the lens angle vision to capture a right-angle side on collision, which looks to be the case for the OPs accident?

Quote:- "Sorry to hear this and hope you get it sorted soon. Lesson for us all here to be learnt perhaps, install a dash cam. £100 well spent at Halfords would have absolved you of any wrongdoing. I know this doesn't help you now, but you have given me motivation to have one fitted as this could happen to any of us."

Are you sure a dash cam would've had the lens angle vision to capture a right-angle side on collision, which looks to be the case for the OPs accident?

It would have picked up his speed, the traffic light sequence (to put the person who crash in to him at fault instantly), location, etc, etc.... Don't have to pick up an image to be useful. The OP is in a situation where it is word for word.

Brings memories of a shunt I had 25 years ago. A young lad of 18 years old in his mum's car T boned my car after he ran a red light, I had to cross 4 lanes of traffic which had just stopped for their red light, he was in the fifth lane. My car was a write off. The other driver lied through his teeth and stated the light was green for him. It was going to be a he said she said affair until a witness who was behind me informed and stated to the police and confirmed actually what happened. The other driver was charged with running a red light and and that was the end of it.
The point I am trying to make is unless you have witness who remained at the scene and gave evidence to the cops or have a video of the affair showing you have a green filter light, the insurance companies will probably assign 55/50 blame. The one thing you have is how can she state you were racing as she was on a different section of the road and is obviously fibbing to save her neck.
Did the police attend the accident and did you take photos of the accident scene? Photos can prove impact speed etc.

Police and paramedics attended, nobody had even a scratch luckily.. yes i’ve got photos i’ll post them on here, see what you think of it

Didn't your box record your driving up to that point and if you were stationary at the time of impact?
Surely you should be more concerned about keeping your job. Couldn't you buy a cheap runabout to get to work?

yes it did, they’ve not said anything about it at the minute. i’d only started that job less than a month ago so i hadn’t even received a first wage which is unfair so not an option

Sorry to hear OP, hope you get things sorted...

This is always the danger with such high premiums for young drivers. Costs are so prohibitive that insurance companies will strip policies to the bare essentials in order to give an attractive premium. Of course the downside is that you end up with either ridiculously high excess charges, or a policy with very little in terms of extras (hire cars, windscreen replacement, stipulations about where the car can be repaired, etc.). The result is an insurance policy that is really not fit for purpose should you ever actually need it....

Probably worth saying that I think this is a problem throughout as well, not just for young drivers. I mean who has time or the patience to read through all the terms and conditions to work out what is and isn't included when renewing...even someone as boring as me struggles...! We tend to just find whoever is offering it cheapest and buy it...

Unfortunately if you don't pay extra for a coutesy car on your insurance most insurance companies will not pay for a coutesy car in these circumstances. And courtesy cars never have much petrol in them.
Surely there is something that you can do to keep your job, like getting a cheapo runabout.
Good luck.

I wish there was something I could do, was sacked before I had my first pay check

Hope it all works out for you and sorry you have lost your job.

Your employer does not seem great if they would not allow you a few days off to sort things out.

Not sure the insurance company have that much to be blamed for apart from the usual level of incompetence all insurance companies run with.... one good call centre person traded off against an equal number of bad ones

Does seem that you have been given some poor advice from friends and family maybe........

You should have thought about a cheap runabout to get to work

Should have read the policy docs before deciding on any course of action as Irrespective of insurance company most courtesy cars are only supplied while car is in repair or until it’s been declared a total loss.

Maybe you should have taken the cash for a total loss rather agree to wait 14 weeks for a new build.

Some tough lessons maybe but you are a young lad and you will bounce back I am sure

If I took the total loss settlement they would just pay off most of the outstanding balance. I’ve got gap insurance but because I only had the car for under 4 months I’d only paid a tiny bit off so I wouldn’t be left with anything

First off. Sorry that you've been in a crash. Never good.

Have you actually lost your job then? Why would you allow this to happen. As you didn't get a courtesy car, if it was me, I'd have gone straight onto Autotrader, found the cheapest car I could find that still had decent MOT, and bought it. Taxed and insured it, and made sure I didn't lose my job.

As for the transmission on the replacement car. Phone up and change it, simples. They've made the error, get them to put it right.

The problem when you're young, is that if you are involved in an accident, even if the other person caused it, they know because of your age, if there is any dispute, you'll get the blame. You were speeding, driving dangerously, racing etc. While a lady in her 40's is classed and a safe driver (which she may not be), anyone under the age of 25, is always classed as a boy racer.

Yes i’ve lost my job, she was at least 28 if not older. she’s probably claimed that i was racing because i was with 3 other cars at the time

Sorry to hear of the accident, sounds like a nightmare.

However I would be careful about contacting them about the incorrect transmission as it is up to the customer to check all documents before agreeing to the contract. Here is what it says on my policy proposal.

thanks for that mate, i’ll keep hush

On the plus side, you might get an S-Tronic upgrade for free! or if you had an S-Tronic then you might get a manual..... which sucks!! haha!

I had an S-Tronic before and the order form says S-Tronic luckily

Reactions: Ormesome
Here’s the pictures that I took.

db5ab1b1650aeb17d7fa241158fbcad6.jpg
31e786c681b65876b5c36aebb32ecd77.jpg
181c48844b69307b8ec72819f805b93b.jpg

Now.. Would anyone like to guess the speed of the road?
Then let’s hear your opinion on what speed you think she was doing at the time (bear in mind witnesses said she didn’t attempt to brake)

Don’t know whether it’ll help, but when someone ran in the back of me and then disputed liability the police came round to my house and interviewed me and the other party and then typed up a report which they sent to the insurers. Turned out to be a waste of time for me because it still got settled as 50/50, but in your situation where the police attended the scene it may be different. Have they interviewed yourself and the other driver? In that situation a report sent to your insurers surely should be in your favour.

Don’t know whether it’ll help, but when someone ran in the back of me and then disputed liability the police came round to my house and interviewed me and the other party and then typed up a report which they sent to the insurers. Turned out to be a waste of time for me because it still got settled as 50/50, but in your situation where the police attended the scene it may be different. Have they interviewed yourself and the other driver. In that situation a report sent to your insurers surely should be in your favour.

I thought the police would’ve been to my house by now but no sign, the only thing i’ve had from
them is a formality NIP letter. Doesn’t look like they’ve contacted the insurance at all. The officer just took our statements and breathalysed both of us (i was 0.00) I’ve tried calling 101 and asking for advice but they couldn’t help.

I thought the police would’ve been to my house by now but no sign, the only thing i’ve had from
them is a formality NIP letter. Doesn’t look like they’ve contacted the insurance at all. The officer just took our statements and breathalysed both of us (i was 0.00) I’ve tried calling 101 and asking for advice but they couldn’t help.

Ah right, if they attended the scene they may not need to come to your house. I think they only did in my situation because they didn’t attend the scene of the accident. If that NIP letter has a reference number on it I’d suggest contacting your local policing team and asking whether a incident report is going to be written up because there is a disputed over liability and see what they say.

It would have picked up his speed, the traffic light sequence (to put the person who crash in to him at fault instantly), location, etc, etc.... Don't have to pick up an image to be useful. The OP is in a situation where it is word for word.

Thanks for this info...not having a dash cam, I wasn't sure of its use in this accident.

Reactions: Ormesome and 1future
What job do you have that allows them to sack you after having an accident and not being able to get to work ?
I would be looking at seeing a solicitor for advice quickly ?I would also be thinking unfair dismissal /

Reactions: 4K, KenL and 1future
What job do you have that allows them to sack you after having an accident and not being able to get to work ?
I would be looking at seeing a solicitor for advice quickly ?I would also be thinking unfair dismissal /

Sales, it’s a small company so they think they can do what they want

Why didn't you go out an buy a cheap car?

I couldn’t afford one. I’ve cancelled the replacement and going for the settlement instead so at least i should be able to get a car when that clears

I couldn’t afford one. I’ve cancelled the replacement and going for the settlement instead so at least i should be able to get a car when that clears

Really? You can pick up a car for a couple hundred quid. 6 month Tax, and you get to work, and keep your job, which means you get to keep the replacement car.

Really? You can pick up a car for a couple hundred quid. 6 month Tax, and you get to work, and keep your job, which means you get to keep the replacement car.

I had a job interview yesterday and they’ve left me a voicemail saying they liked me and would like to talk further about offering me a position, luckily i can get there by bus for now. When the finance is settled i’ll be able to get a bank loan instead, which is much better APR rates and i’ll actually own the car.

This sucks big time, especially as none of it was your fault.

If I took the total loss settlement they would just pay off most of the outstanding balance. I’ve got gap insurance but because I only had the car for under 4 months I’d only paid a tiny bit off so I wouldn’t be left with anything

What type of GAP cover did you take out and who with?
1) Just pays off outstanding finance
2) Return to invoice price of the car
3) Complete vehicle replacement

Example ROTR price of 26k and you paid 24k, if your insurance pays out 20k and you have 'Complete vehicle replacement cover', then GAP would also give you 6k taking you to £26k to buy anything you want.

Read the small print in the insurance from Tesco, a lot of the time it will have (if available in the UK) under the we replace your car within the first 12 months if new. If it's not available in the UK they should revert to book price, hence why a lot of guys on here use GAP from day 1.

What grounds did you get sacked on? Sounds like a sh** company if they knew what has happened, better in the long run that you don't work for them!

Example ROTR price of 26k and you paid 24k, if your insurance pays out 20k and you have 'Complete vehicle replacement cover', then GAP would also give you 6k taking you to £26k to buy anything you want.

Read the small print in the insurance from Tesco, a lot of the time it will have (if available in the UK) under the we replace your car within the first 12 months if new. If it's not available in the UK they should revert to book price, hence why a lot of guys on here use GAP from day 1.

What grounds did you get sacked on? Sounds like a sh** company if they knew what has happened, better in the long run that you don't work for them!

As a replacement car has been ordered, I would assume it's a new car (first 12 months) as most, if not all insurance companies have a like for like cover for cars less than 12 months old, as that's the biggest depreciation hit.

As a replacement car has been ordered, I would assume it's a new car (first 12 months) as most, if not all insurance companies have a like for like cover for cars less than 12 months old, as that's the biggest depreciation hit.

Yeah I know mate, what I mean is: When I first bought the S3 I phoned a few insurance companies up to question their wording of "We will replace your vehicle with a new vehicle of the same make, model and specification (if one is available in the UK)." It doesn't say what they do if one isn't in the UK!!!

As most S3's are made to order, I called them up to ask the question "what if one isn't in the UK and it would have to be a factory order?", they all said "They would revert to book price, if the same car/model/spec was not available straight away". So why is the OP being made to wait 3 months for a factory order car? They should just pay him out so that he can use his GAP to make up the shortfall. I fear that they are taking advantage of his age and inexperience (no offence meant OP).

It would be good if one of the guys on here who works in the insurance industry could help him out!!!

Reactions: Rahmon_22, wab172uk and 1future

I had it added on at the dealership, i’m with AutoTrust and i’ve got complete vehicle replacement cover.

The car was worth 31k, tesco said they’ll pay 24,150 and my outstanding is 29k

I’m not too bothered about the hire car sitch now that i have been offered a job much closer and easier to get to by bus

they didn’t even give me grounds of dismissal, he fired me over whatsapp, very classy.

Yeah I know mate, what I mean is: When I first bought the S3 I phoned a few insurance companies up to question their wording of "We will replace your vehicle with a new vehicle of the same make, model and specification (if one is available in the UK)." It doesn't say what they do if one isn't in the UK!!!

As most S3's are made to order, I called them up to ask the question "what if one isn't in the UK and it would have to be a factory order?", they all said "They would revert to book price, if the same car/model/spec was not available straight away". So why is the OP being made to wait 3 months for a factory order car? They should just pay him out so that he can use his GAP to make up the shortfall. I fear that they are taking advantage of his age and inexperience (no offence meant OP).

It would be good if one of the guys on here who works in the insurance industry could help him out!!!

They’re saying it’s because i’ve got to have the same car with the same mileage i picked it up with (0miles) this is Audi finance’s part because they wouldn’t transfer the finance agreement if it had let’s say 10 miles on the clock because they’re really strict. I’m no longer going down the replacement car route, had a go at them just so they’re going to finally settle it so now i’ll just go for a bank loan with a lower APR rate and actually buy a car.

I recognise that because of my age they think they can bully me