Anyone used/experienced Copart?

maxpayne

Reaction score
They seem to specialize in auctioning salvage vehicles. The interesting part for me was they have a service for non business users (like me haha) where they will store and dispose of CAT-B cars also.

I was looking at https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/26040158 and something like that would be ideal for taking a few parts off for retrofitting and will be cheaper than raiding eBay. Has RNS-E, MSFW, facelift rear lights, leather seats.

If I only had the time!

CAT B’s can only be purchased if you have a breakers license.

I did make a normal membership with copart last year just to see how it all works.
The bidding screen you see first is preliminary bidding, once the timer runs down it then goes to a live auction with the start price being what the preliminary bidding reached.

Imagine a ebay auction, once it reaches the end time, it then goes to another live auction lmao!

CAT B’s can only be purchased if you have a breakers license.

I did make a normal membership with copart last year just to see how it all works.
The bidding screen you see first is preliminary bidding, once the timer runs down it then goes to a live auction with the start price being what the preliminary bidding reached.

Imagine a ebay auction, once it reaches the end time, it then goes to another live auction lmao!

Ah, didn’t read into the bidding process too much to realise that. Good to know

You are right that you need a breaker license. That’s where the Copart service comes in. For a fee of £100 (excluding VAT) they will hold the car in a bay for 30 days for you to visit and take away the parts you need. They will dispose of the car when you’re done. So no need for a license. Win win

Edit. Link to the service: https://www.copart.co.uk/Content/UK/EN/Landing-Page/breakerbid4u

Last edited:
Ah right I wasn't aware of that service.

Quite interesting!
I wonder if after all the fees if it's actually worth it though...(£100 per day to rent the bay, aprrox £100 winning bid fee, and then the costs of having the vehicle transported to the site where they offer the service which is only Scotland, Dover and York)

Roughly just under £500 before you actually take a part off the car lol and thats not including the price you pay for the car! :blink:

Totally agree with above member could cost a lot more than you think . But please let us know if you venture into any dealings mate

Ah right I wasn't aware of that service.

Quite interesting!
I wonder if after all the fees if it's actually worth it though...(£100 per day to rent the bay, aprrox £100 winning bid fee, and then the costs of having the vehicle transported to the site where they offer the service which is only Scotland, Dover and York)

Roughly just under £500 before you actually take a part off the car lol and thats not including the price you pay for the car! :blink:

Thought it was £100 for the first 30 days?
Yup, if you don’t live close to one of the sites you’ll have to pay for transportation.

Did you look up the transportation fees yourself or did that bit slip by lol

I looked up the fees but the car I looked at was in Sandwich, which is 1.5 hours drive from London so thought I could live with that.

I looked up the fees but the car I looked at was in Sandwich, which is 1.5 hours drive from London so thought I could live with that.
So what would be the transport cost be and the other fees before you have bidded on the car . Plus what are tou looking for out off the car you are going to bid on just out off cusiousity

What costs are involved in using BreakerBid4U?
Auction fees.
These are the standard Copart auction fees and can be found within the fees section on the Breakerbid4U page.
Transport costs.
These are applicable when a vehicle is moved from its original storage site to a different site for breaking. View fees table.
Breaker bay rental and engine removal.
Breaker bays are rentable at £100 per day + VAT. This cost includes depollution of the vehicle and removal of engine and gear box.
24 hours’ notice, Monday to Friday must be given to reschedule a pre-booked breaker session. If 24 hours’ notice is not given, a re-scheduling fee of £50 + VAT will be applied to the customer’s account.
Storage Charges.
Vehicles will be stored for up to 30 days without charge. A charge will apply per day (or part day) per vehicle thereafter, until the customer completes their breaker session.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the breaker bay and storage fees are two different charges?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the breaker bay and storage fees are two different charges?

The Copart pages are very confusing. The following seems to suggest that storage is free and you pay for the bay only?

“Breaker bay rental and engine removal.
This charge is for the rental of bay space to strip the vehicle*, depollution and safe engine removal. One bay per vehicle for small cars, vans and larger vehicles. Up to two motorcycles may be booked into one bay.

£100 plus VAT per bay

*Breaker bay rental sessions are from 8.30am to 4pm Monday – Friday (excluding UK Bank Holidays)

Re-scheduling fee
This fee applies if a bay rental appointment is cancelled without a minimum 24 hours prior notice. £50 plus VAT.

Relist fees
If an invoice is not paid within 9 working days of winning a Lot, the vehicle will be relisted in the auction and a relist fee (along with late payment fee: see above) of £250 or 10% of hammer price whichever is higher, will be applied to the customer’s account.

Storage charges
Vehicles will be stored for up to 30 days without charge. A charge will apply per day (or part day) per vehicle thereafter, until the customer completes their breaker session.
£5.00 per day (or part day) per vehicle plus VAT”

Exactly what i think.
They’ll keep the car in storage free of charge for upto 30 days but will charge £100 + vat per day to bring it out of storage to the breaker bay?

Exactly what i think.
They’ll keep the car in storage free of charge for upto 30 days but will charge £100 + vat per day to bring it out of storage to the breaker bay?

Makes sense. So basically a one shot get all parts in one go seems like the most viable option