USB/AUX Sockets retrofit in Pre-Facelift A3

Hello, please know the name or codes of the connectors highlighted in the circle?
Thank you very much

Retrofit carplay audi a3 8v facelift

hi, is my connection correct?

This is my 8w0 971 636

1: 12V
2: Brown
3: Yellow/Green
4: Yelow
5: Grey
6: Yellow

Schema

Hello guys
I have on my audi a3 8v facelift mmi plus with code number mst2_eu_au_p0617d

I have only one usb for charging that mean i dont have anyway to connect my phone to the system via usb
My question if i order this 2 usb ports ami/mdi switch, can i activate apple carplay and android auto?

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_153102.jpg
    IMG_20210731_153102.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 190
Guyyz, may I ask, is all this hasstle worth it ?? To hav some USB in car ? :D How much time and money you spent on this? What you gained by doing this?
Thanks

I thought that had to be done through USB hence needing the usb to work... or is that done through VCDS too...

OK so here is a thought - I need to confirm that I am getting 12v from the power lead (green connector wires) before they go into the usb hub as I have not checked this as yet - would I be right in thinking that if I am not getting 12v then it will possibly be the long coding ??

The unit came from a 2017 A3 TDi so I think they had carplay as standard so I would have thought coding would be ok but I could be wrong... once USB connection works, licences on the car will be activated as we need usb to work to do the necessary I believe...

I am a novice and the chap doing my activation etc has done hundreds and he says that the usb is needed - is he wrong ?
Hello did succeed to make it works?

Hi there,

I'm doing MIB2 retrofit on a NAR pre-FL car with AMI. So I already have the green quad-lock connector running to my MIB1 and it's full of wires. Instead of running the AliExpress loom in parallel can I just re-pin my existing wiring and use the new connectors to fit into the new USB block? Would be great to have a cleaner install and just re-use the existing wiring.

The 4-pin round USB connectors are keyed differently for the glovebox but surely that's the only difference? If I shave off the keying pins I can just use the existing one?

EDIT: looks like none of the original 12 wires on the MIB1 side supply constant +12V power/ground (maybe they do in the MIB2 unit?). Are there 2 pins I can use there or do I need to splice them elsewhere?

IMG 1499
IMG 1503
IMG 1504

Last edited:
Ok all sorted - indeed was able to re-use my green quad-lock, however 2 wires I still had to splice into +12V and ground (I used the thicker red and black ones as pictured - removed from connector).

The only remaining question is the USB ports - MIB1 unit has 2 USB connectors - grey and yellow, while MIB2 has 4 - grey, yellow, green, beige.

I have USB1 retrofitted in front of cupholders (has green connector) and USB2 + AUX retrofitted under armrest (has green + red connectors (+ 6-pin)). My aliexpress harness came with a green-green usb connector cable and a green-yellow one, with the yellow being a right-angle connector (meant to be plugged into yellow MIB2 port).

I used the aliexpress green-green cable to link USB 1 and USB 2 green-green. To re-use the existing cable I plan on shaving a tab on the original black under-armrest connector so it can plug into the red port on USB 2. Other end stays plugged in to yellow, same as on MIB1 unit.

What are the green and beige USB ports for on the MIB2 unit? One is for VC - the other for wireless charging or something?

Armrest-side: necessary 6 wires in the new connector, while the remaining ones stay in the old connector (unused)

IMG 1512

MIB-side: 4 necessary wires in positions 1-3 + 7 of green quadlock and red/black to be spliced into +12V/ground. All others are unused (stay in original connector above).

IMG 1513

MIB1: grey + yellow

IMG 1517 1

MIB2: unused green + beige ports

IMG 1509

Reactions: CrazyDays_s3
Ok all sorted - indeed was able to re-use my green quad-lock, however 2 wires I still had to splice into +12V and ground (I used the thicker red and black ones as pictured - removed from connector).

The only remaining question is the USB ports - MIB1 unit has 2 USB connectors - grey and yellow, while MIB2 has 4 - grey, yellow, green, beige.

I have USB1 retrofitted in front of cupholders (has green connector) and USB2 + AUX retrofitted under armrest (has green + red connectors (+ 6-pin)). My aliexpress harness came with a green-green usb connector cable and a green-yellow one, with the yellow being a right-angle connector (meant to be plugged into yellow MIB2 port).

I used the aliexpress green-green cable to link USB 1 and USB 2 green-green. To re-use the existing cable I plan on shaving a tab on the original black under-armrest connector so it can plug into the red port on USB 2. Other end stays plugged in to yellow, same as on MIB1 unit.

What are the green and beige USB ports for on the MIB2 unit? One is for VC - the other for wireless charging or something?

Armrest-side: necessary 6 wires in the new connector, while the remaining ones stay in the old connector (unused)

View attachment 250506

MIB-side: 4 necessary wires in positions 1-3 + 7 of green quadlock and red/black to be spliced into +12V/ground. All others are unused (stay in original connector above).

View attachment 250505

MIB1: grey + yellow

View attachment 250504

MIB2: unused green + beige ports

View attachment 250503
Hello, can you indicate where you connected each one in the 4D0971636 connector? I have done the same as you and I have taken advantage of the OEM wiring of the car. Buy things from the Chinese... NO.

The only thing that the remaining cables of the connector are the ones that are left over I have connected an OEM 81A035502 charging base.

Thanks u bro.

Hello, I have a3 8v and I have unlocked my audi smartphone. I wonder if I could connect a cable with a usb output to the mhi2 unit and if it would work.

Hi can someone please help. I’ve been following the thread and aware that @DJAlix has mentioned that the two lose wires go into pin three and four on the green block that goes into the back of the unit. I have the genuine Audi cable my green block to the back of the mib unit has 4 cables green,black,red and yellow. The two lose wires I have are one solid brown and one that’s is red and yellow. On the green connector block I already have a black wire in pin three.
So this doesn’t allow me to add the power wire in this area. Any ideas where it should go much appreciated

Attachments

• D938BC7E-A7D3-4B51-AD15-3395BFBE1124.jpeg
    D938BC7E-A7D3-4B51-AD15-3395BFBE1124.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 142
  • A1C1F660-36F6-4FFB-88E9-5B915B38ACBF.jpeg
    A1C1F660-36F6-4FFB-88E9-5B915B38ACBF.jpeg
    851.9 KB · Views: 141
Do you have some voltage on the Yellow socket?
20220719 165405

Is it possible that I do not have an activated usb port?
Maybe I need to change the coding?

Thank you all for the discussion friends,

Today I have activated apple CarPlay in my A3 8V PFL 2015 without spending a single penny in cabling, Only arranged the 6 pin connector (8W0 971 636)

became possible only because of you guys Cheers to you all

Hey,

I'm currently in the middle of retrofitting an MIB2 Unit to my car.
So far, almost everything works, except:
- There is no sound, maybe because the unit is from a car with B&O sound and I only have the Audi Sound System.
- the USB-ports are not working, not even for charging.

After reading this thread multiple times, I am confused: does the usb-block need 12V or 5V?

I connected the cables as @DJAlix shows on page 2 (negative to pin C3, positive on C4), pinned to pin 1 and 2 on the usb-block's 6-pin. It gets 5.4V from the MIB2 unit that way.

I also connected the green to yellow FAKRA cable to the block and unit.

The USB-ports are not charging my phone, and carplay doesn't work either.

The unit and block are from the same car, where they worked together.

Basically @Stav4187 s problem. How did you solve it?

Last edited:

Today I have activated apple CarPlay in my A3 8V PFL 2015 without spending a single penny in cabling, Only arranged the 6 pin connector (8W0 971 636)

Can you help me out with the pinnings and where you connected the power wires to on the cabling between usb box and unit?

Update:
Thanks to @Dubjam I have the confirmation that the USB-block really needs 12V,
I connected the brown and red wires to the MMI unit's negative and positive supply cables, respectively.

Now my phone charges when connected to the USB port, but Android Auto and Apple Carplay don't work.
The unit definitely has those unlocked though, as I get the message "Please connect a phone and enable it in the connection manager".
I tried the green to yellow FAKRA cable that was in my AliExpress cable kit as well as the one that was previously connected to my AMI port (before the retrofit).

Any tips on that?

Update:
In the meantime I bought VCP.
There is an error message on the MIB2 about the communication with the USB module failing.

Sounds like a wiring issue (or I killed my module, which would be bad).

I will check the wiring for continuity again, but I'm fairly sure that will come up negative as I checked at least 5 times while wiring.

I checked the wiring now, and the usb module gets 12.3V over two of the pins in the 6-pin connector.
IMG 20230622 122211

Wrong voltage, wrong pins...
It's 5.2V from Pins 2 (-) to 3 (+)
Measured in an FL car, with one USB in the front and one under the armrest.

If the constellation of ports make a difference, please speak up and correct me

Re-pinning it like that didn't solve anything, now the USB ports don't work at all. No charging, no CarPlay.

Any hints here? I start to really get the impression that nobody cares about old threads, but I also don't want to start a new thread for essentially the same issue.

Hi,

this wiring worked for me:

Pin1 - - > 12v
Pin2 --> ground
Pin3 - - > MMI (green) Pin3
Pin4 - - > MMI (green) Pin2
Pin5 - - > MMI (green) Pin1
Pin6 - - > MMI (green) Pin7

Yellow Fakra from mmi to green Fakra USB

The unit has to be patched and the coding is:
Byte 19 Bit 6-7 to USB,usb_ipod
Screenshot 2023 08 13 22 24 58 020 commicrosoftskydrive edit2

Reactions: Werdck

Can you share what the sort of wiring you did in both sides ?

Hi,

this wiring worked for me:

Pin1 - - > 12v
Pin2 --> ground
Pin3 - - > MMI (green) Pin3
Pin4 - - > MMI (green) Pin2
Pin5 - - > MMI (green) Pin1
Pin6 - - > MMI (green) Pin7

Yellow Fakra from mmi to green Fakra USB

The unit has to be patched and the coding is:
Byte 19 Bit 6-7 to USB,usb_ipod
View attachment 269816
Can you add the color of the wiring on same sort

So far I couldn't get it to work in my car. If you find anything out, please tell me. I'll do the same.