Hi query re heated wing mirrors

Taff D

Reaction score
Hi, Just getting used to my 11 plate A3 after having an 8L for several years. One of the most useful parts of last car was that on a frosty day the wing mirrors heated up when rear window heater engaged. Can't see if new one has it, cold day last week and they didn't demist. Have a little icon straight up from the mirror joystick and it seems to push downwards too but can't seem to get mirrors warm. How do I tell if this has heated mirrors?

Cheers

Taff

AFAIK heated mirrors were standard on all A3’s?
I know the 2007 model year brochure that I possess says that anyway.
On my car the mirror heating only works if you put the switch at the 12 o’clock position, mine doesn’t push in though?

AFAIK heated mirrors were standard on all A3’s?
I know the 2007 model year brochure that I possess says that anyway.
On my car the mirror heating only works if you put the switch at the 12 o’clock position, mine doesn’t push in though?
Cheers Nessy, will have to research more and wait for another cold morning.

I have a 61 plate a3 cab and think they came as standard. To operate you just need the mirror dial to be in the 12 oclock....takes a few mins but should be able to feel the mirror face warming up. To have it off i just turn the dial to the passenger mirror and leave it there as I'm unsure of any other method.... should probably read my manual haha!

My 2012 a3 has it as standard. The heating element in the left one burned out though, so I need a replacement.

My 2012 a3 has it as standard. The heating element in the left one burned out though, so I need a replacement.

This has been my worry...seems like there should be a way to turn them off without having an adjustment selected...

Have accidentally put the dial the the middle a few times. When i remember/notice i test the driver mirror (can reach easily :p ) and it gets pretty toasty. Maybe OP has burnt out ones too :( hope not

Don't worry, the mirror glass is easy to replace in a few minutes and it's inexpensive to buy an aftermarket one.

Reactions: DrSasso
Thanks everyone, today iced up and my drivers one worked but not passenger like dp_motley? Pressed every button but if it happens tomorrow I'll only put on rear windscreen heater and keep mirror switch to left to see exactly does the trick.

Cheers again.

After consulting the manual it doesn't indicate any off position for the dial to be in. Just states that there are heated exterior mirrors on some models, dial in central position turns them on.... but then as a note it states they will be heated dependant on external temp.

So i would assume you could just leave them on and they should regulate them selves not to over heat...or come on at all if it's warm enough outside...no idea what that range would be....but obviously they can burn out so I'll just keep the dial on a mirror when the heat isn't needed. :)