Start/Stop system stopping too early

Scott Petrie

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone elses start/stop system stop too early? When I pull up to a junction I find it stopping before Ive actually stopped, which in turn makes steering impossible.

Reactions: SeoTFSI
Is it just me or does anyone elses start/stop system stop too early? When I pull up to a junction I find it stopping before Ive actually stopped, which in turn makes steering impossible.

Yup i have this too at times. 3 times today :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: SeoTFSI
Yeah, a lot of people on here seem to hate the SS system. I didn't mind it on my A3, but with the S3 it turns off so early! The A3 I would have to come to a complete stop and foot on the break firmly.

I've started knocking the gearstick into Sport or manual alot more recently as it prevents it cutting the engine off.

I believe it's a feature of the FL in that it's designed to cut off just before it actually stops.
My PFL won't until it's actually stopped, but then it hardly ever works anyway!

I believe it's a feature of the FL in that it's designed to cut off just before it actually stops.
Interestingly my A3/S3 were both PFL.

I'm surprised how quickly mine starts to work actually, I can drive a couple of minutes from home in the morning and it will cut out. If it was colder then it wouldn't though I guess, everything needs to get a bit warm I thought.... - climate control is always set to 20c for what its worth.

There is no hard and fast rule as to when mine works, sometimes its by the end of tbe street and sometimes its after a decent motorway run. Even with the climate on 24°c and the heated seats on its worked!

Yep, turns off when nearly at a stop then when you lift your foot up it starts up again! I make it a habit to turn it off as soon as I start the car.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
It’s frankly dangerous when it does it on you turning right on to oncoming traffic

Reactions: Nikon
One of the many reasons I have switched mine switched off permanently.

Well documented issue on here.
The newer generation Audi's have this and I hate it.
Hence the reason I switch it off as a matter of course every time I start the car.

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe, Tom.H and gringosteve
Interestingly my A3/S3 were both PFL.

I'm surprised how quickly mine starts to work actually, I can drive a couple of minutes from home in the morning and it will cut out. If it was colder then it wouldn't though I guess, everything needs to get a bit warm I thought.... - climate control is always set to 20c for what its worth.

Yeah my 63 plate S5 and all previous Audi's didn't activate until you came to a complete standstill. But the newer generation cars kick in at 3 or 4 mph. Work of the devil this thing.

Last edited:
This is interesting from the owners manual (2017) read the "Tips"

Capture

the small 1, is "Market specific"

So its by design?

In the PFL owners handbook (https://www.pdf-archive.com/2015/06/22/audi-a3-s3-owners-manual/audi-a3-s3-owners-manual.pdf) this disclaimer is not there.... I'd be interested in Audi UKs response

Last edited:
Reactions: gringosteve
Yes it is by design and if you turn the steering wheel the car will restart. Can't see what the issue is with it really...

Yes it is by design and if you turn the steering wheel the car will restart. Can't see what the issue is with it really...

If you are on a busy road about to turn right against traffic (in the uk) and you slow to near stop and then a gap opens.. you can be left stranded in the road pulling on the wheel to get it to turn again

I raised this with Audi at its first service last week apparently it can cut in from 3-4 mph. When I challenged that this wasn't entirely safe at junctions I was told that it is performing as intended. Like many others I've resorted to popping it into S when approaching major junctions- no t ideal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That’s a lie. I had an 8v S3 prior and it worked as it should. When the car came to a proper halt. My car was terrible at first then after an eco update was better.
Still haven’t got round to permanently switch it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, this might be of interest to some of you:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...o-you-hate-the-audi-start-stop-system.325840/

Having had both pre-facelift and facelift vehicles, the PFL implementation of the SS system was manageable but the FL system is dangerous just horrible. First I disabled via coding but there were times when I wanted to re-activate the system while in traffic, which is where the module comes in :)

I mean Audi are lying lol

Hmmm. Wonder Then why did my s3 work well and then by RS3 didn’t ? Then after a Ecu update it got better. Strange.

At least just now we can switch it off, like I do with the current car (and did even with previous cars).
But in the near future you won't be able to on a new factory delivered car due to a rule change according to recent posts on here.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and gringosteve
I turn the ****** thing off as soon as I start the car. As @Audi Bairn states this will probably not be able to be turned off by the driver in the future due to government pollution legislation.

Like others on here with the S-tronic I just knock the stick to "S" for junctions where I want the start-stop temporarily disabled. It is hardly much effort. After all, I was changing gears all the time with a manual! I do find it potentially dangerous (and certainly disconcerting) for turns across oncoming traffic and when approaching a busy roundabout. For long queues of traffic and at lights it does make sense to me but stopping the engine before the car has come to a complete halt just seems crazy.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and gringosteve
If you are on a busy road about to turn right against traffic (in the uk) and you slow to near stop and then a gap opens.. you can be left stranded in the road pulling on the wheel to get it to turn again

Only if you don't understand how the system works. A quick gentle touch on the throttle starts the engine, or put the gearbox into sport. Never once have I been left with a dead engine with the same system on my A4..

Last edited:
I understand how it works, the issue is that it engages at inappropriate times. If you would normally turn before accelerating then you are left stuck.

I could modify my behaviour to change into S or touch the accelerator. And I’m sure in time that will be more natural. At the moment it feels unnatural though

Only if you don't understand how the system works. A quick gentle touch on the throttle starts the engine, or put the gearbox into sport. Never once have I been left with a dead engine with the same system on my A4..
Which is all well and good for those of us how know how to use the car, I recon at least 50% don't know why/how/when you should put the gearbox into sport or manual.

So yeah it comes natural to prevent the car from stopping, you learn when it might stop and proactively prevent it .... but I still don't think it should cut the engine before you have stopped anyway.

I still don't think it should cut the engine before you have stopped anyway.
It did it on my car yesterday, we were visiting a grave and on the way out I slowed down at a crossroads to turn left and it cut out for a split second until I touched the accelerator again! Hence why I normally turn the thing off, as it's a pain at times.

I am sick to death of my stop-start, its dangerous IMO if you are wanting to get out of a junction quickly and the car just stops ***

I am having it programmed out tonight.

Seeing a lot of hate for start-stop, do most of you guys drive s-tronics? I always think it works pretty well on a manual, as I can regulate when I want it to cut out or not just by keeping the clutch down.
As someone said above, it's a terrible feature if you're waiting to turn right or about to pull out at a roundabout, but its perfectly acceptable when you're a long way back from the front at a set of lights.

Reactions: gringosteve
The other option is, when at a junction, slip the lever across to manual (disables S/S) and then as you pull away slip it back to auto.
This has just become second nature to me.

Seeing a lot of hate for start-stop, do most of you guys drive s-tronics? I always think it works pretty well on a manual, as I can regulate when I want it to cut out or not just by keeping the clutch down.
As someone said above, it's a terrible feature if you're waiting to turn right or about to pull out at a roundabout, but its perfectly acceptable when you're a long way back from the front at a set of lights.

Last two cars of mine are S Tronic, plus a manual before that (as well as wifes last three cars) and I switch it off on all of them - hate it.

Reactions: Tom.H
One thing i've noticed that occasionally when start stop is on the car goes not to standby but stop. Usually this happens when I'm coasting to a stop 10-20 meters, clutch depressed and car just put on neutral, ready to put it in gear as I see traffic moving a few cars ahead. I will need to take the foot off the clutch, depress it again and the car starts. Only happened 2 -3 times and it is dependant