Facelift S3 Steering?

Mark_86

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question, and this could be me going nuts.

I had my steering rack replaced last year and it's never felt quite right since. It's straight and true etc...

However, on the motorway, I get a really heavy 'zone' on initial turn of the wheel when keeping it in lane, like a resistance as if the steering has no power assistance or when the start/stop kicks in. Then, after you give it a good tug, it lightens up and feels fine. Back to centre and it will do it again. Its a pain on the motorway, because making little adjustments becomes a chore.

Any ideas?

Hello

I would be interested in people's response's as well, as i have the exact same issue.

I've only just bought my S3 and it's only 14 month's old. I've also found it's worse in efficiency mode than any other.

As far as i'm aware it's not had a new steering rack

Hello

I would be interested in people's response's as well, as i have the exact same issue.

I've only just bought my S3 and it's only 14 month's old. I've also found it's worse in efficiency mode than any other.

As far as i'm aware it's not had a new steering rack
There is less assistance in efficiency mode so the steering will feel heavier.

I’ve not noticed Marks issue and I have 50 mile EW commute.

Reactions: Mark_86
Mine does exactly the same, and Audi went for a drive in it and told me it was absolutely normal due to the constant adjustments and weighting the ECU applies to steering whilst driving.

Sounded like absolute ***** to me, but hey ho.

Hi all,

I had my steering rack replaced last year and it's never felt quite right since. It's straight and true etc...

However, on the motorway, I get a really heavy 'zone' on initial turn of the wheel when keeping it in lane, like a resistance as if the steering has no power assistance or when the start/stop kicks in. Then, after you give it a good tug, it lightens up and feels fine. Back to centre and it will do it again. Its a pain on the motorway, because making little adjustments becomes a chore.

Any ideas?

2017 FL I get the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ok, cheers guys. I didn't want to go taking it in and they say it's normal... fine, it's a ***** steering system they have on these cars. Woeful feeling and constantly asking for attention... anyways, thanks for the replies.

Ah ok, cheers guys. I didn't want to go taking it in and they say it's normal... fine, it's a ***** steering system they have on these cars. Woeful feeling and constantly asking for attention... anyways, thanks for the replies.
Tried to look out for it on the way home from this evening and didn’t really notice a dead zone, steering is set to auto at the moment.

Hi all,

Any ideas?
Mine is exactly the same.
I have an A3 but with progressive steering.
I’ve had it from new so I know nothing has been tampered with.
On the motorway it takes just a little extra effort to initially turn the wheel slightly to change lanes. It’s like the power steering has been turned off and I don’t use the efficiency mode. As soon as I apply extra force the car responds and we are back to normal.
Not a good sensation.

Hi Mark

Did you end up getting that vcds code changed for steering assist and if so did it change the straight line steering characteristics? I'm having similar issues at motorway speeds.

Hi Mark

Did you end up getting that vcds code changed for steering assist and if so did it change the straight line steering characteristics? I'm having similar issues at motorway speeds.

Hi mate, I've not had any VCDS coding done on the steering. Alex @DJAlix had found I had a fault on a steering sensor, but Audi never found the fault, so they either corrected it without telling me or they've ignored it, but I don't think this is the issue if others have the same feeling. If there is a VCDS option to code this out or improve matters, then I'd be interested to know.

It was the straight line steering assist disablement suggested in this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/small-things-you-notice-that-dont-seem-right.347969/ that I was referring to. The guy suggesting it thought it would solve the problem of the wandering feeling on the motorway. Mine doesn't feel quite as planted as my old 8p did on the motorway but bizarrely it feels fine if its chucking it down! Its due back at the dealers next week to see if they can find a fault but I was thinking if no fault found I could try that coding fix. This electro mechanical steering seems to have a mind of its own. Apparently it can even over ride steering inputs in emergency situations if it deems them to be incorrect!

It was the straight line steering assist disablement suggested in this thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/small-things-you-notice-that-dont-seem-right.347969/ that I was referring to. The guy suggesting it thought it would solve the problem of the wandering feeling on the motorway. Mine doesn't feel quite as planted as my old 8p did on the motorway but bizarrely it feels fine if its chucking it down! Its due back at the dealers next week to see if they can find a fault but I was thinking if no fault found I could try that coding fix. This electro mechanical steering seems to have a mind of its own. Apparently it can even over ride steering inputs in emergency situations if it deems them to be incorrect!

Yeah I heard the same. There's a few things on the S3 that I really hate, steering being one of them and ruins the car imo. I must confess that I won't be getting another when it's time is up.

Whats your other hates ? Just curious :icon thumright:

Well... It might have been my expectations to be honest, so perhaps don't judge the car too harshly. But I hate or dislike the following:

- Steering - it's lack of feel is very well documented in the motoring press, but it's very unnerving in the wet when your 'pushing on' and you can't really tell how much grip there is, you really have to judge it and feel from your *** (Lauda style).

- S-Tronic box and throttle response is a bit annoying in other modes outside of sport, so in Eco, Auto and Comfort modes it has a lot of travel to make progress. The box insists on changing down from S7 to S6 on the motorway if you even look at the throttle and it's not as smooth as I thought it would be, especially when pulling off, it's very easy to Kangaroo when you keep a steady throttle when pulling away I've found.

- MMi system is very dated and a clunky interface, it's built upon menu after menu. The Sat Nav is fantastic imo and the wheel control is easy to use. Love the VC in my car aswell, but I do find Apple CarPlay doesn't work very well with the wheel control which is annoying but to be expected.

- Super sport seats should be a bit more supportive, would be nice to have had adjustable bolsters tbh, I'm probably too skinny but find you can be thrown around a bit. Not as hugging as my old Recaro's in the ST that's for sure.

- Ride in Dynamic can be bouncy, which is something I've recently noticed. You look like a nodding dog when just plodding about sometimes, it's also rock hard and not very absorbent of our crappy roads. I was hoping the Magnetic ride would help matters here, but I just tend to keep it in Individual mode with everything on max but the ride in comfort.

Otherwise it's great lol. For me, it lacks excitement and and that final level of involvement that you want from a performance car. It really only comes alive at serious speeds, which you can't really do on the public roads. I can forgive the S-Tronic box a bit because DSG type boxes are not as smooth as a TC and I've never owned an Auto before, but when mixed with the other bits, I find it tiresome sometimes. I have had some good drives in the S3 and it is a practical, very quick and fairly economical car to own, lovely interior and well built (with a few exceptions)... I just haven't gelled with it as much as I was hoping to compared to my old ST which I loved (had so much character). I'm hoping to swap to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio in the latter half of next year, so still got the S3 for another 18-20 months yet... just need more fizz and fun.

I had a 2012 TT before my S3 my18 and I must say the steering on the motorway is absolutely abysmal, the TT was fantastic.