Want a boost leak test!

s3evil34

Reaction score
So you might say I'm doing this in reverse as I had a remap over Christmas! So my s3 8l bam is now putting out 251bhp and 235lft of torque. Which is not bad! But I feel there could be more to be had. Wanted to get a boost leak test done before but ran out of time. Local garages don't seem to do it! Plus was hoping to use some one who works on these cars alot. I no that pretty much everyone that is tested has a leak. Just want a general heath check and boost leak done. In the south west so badger 5 I'm thinking. My mods are b5 tip decat not 3 inch tho. Panel filter.

ive had mine on a dyno over xmas and mines the same looking for some missing bhp mines going stage 2 started off at 225bhp bit of messing about 239bhp changed airflow and actuator 266bhp 285 torque going to do n249 delete change turbo inlet pipe to silicone sucking itself flat change the rocker cover breather got a small leak and should see 280 bhp and 305 torque

You have 285lft of torque? Or is that in Nm? Was changing the actuator big job /expensive. Was thinking of upgrading mine

I hope the 305 is Nm not lb/ft else it is only going to the shops and getting towed home :) (with standard rods apparently) but 305Nm is far to low for 280BHP as it is only about 245lb/ft

I don't think you need the actuator upgraded for a standard K04 S3 unless faulty? I may be wrong.

there is no need to change the actuator unless its faulty... fitting an 'upgraded' one with a stiffer springs requires the mapping to be adjusted to suit else you could end up over boosting and at spool that could lead to rods exiting the block

<tuffty/>

Indeed but if I was to change the actuator and have the map adjusted to suit! Would there be any gains to be had?

Indeed but if I was to change the actuator and have the map adjusted to suit! Would there be any gains to be had?

a std k04 is good for 280hp of airflow in new condition... actual power is very much subject to other mods and state of engine... the extra 10-15hp the best examples give on top of this is the exception rather than the rule and is gained from being able to hold onto timing advance...

Fitting an uprated actuator to a std K04 might give gains if the existing one is tired but will be relative to where its currently at... you can't beat the laws of physics...

If you need an actuator then fit one, get it mapped to suit and smile if you gain anything... if you don't need one then save your money

<tuffty/>

Fair enough tuffty like u say all comes down to health of the engine mine is on 137,000. So I think I will get the boost leak test done if anything needs replacing do it and leave it at that.

Mileage is no indiction dude... have seen an S3 with 150k+ miles make over 300hp

Health check at Bills would be a good start :)

<tuffty/>